Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Squirrels ruining my patio furniture!

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/05/03, 08:34 PM
So, maybe I need to find a gardening forum or something, but I don't do that, so hoping someone here can help me. I came home one day to find that squirrels chewed open my fabric swing on my front patio and used the batting for their nests. I can't prove that it's squirrels, but can't imagine birds strong enough to rip into the fabric and pull out that much batting. We're talking about a 6 inch circle. So, I had to move the swing to the back yard patio where it wasn't seen because it looked horrible and bought some new little cafe style chairs also with padding (DUH!) and put them on the patio. Came home and found them ruined today. So, I've just lost about $350 worth of patio furniture due to these rotten little creatures that I used to think were so cute. I have a couple more chairs that I can stick out there, but don't want to until I know that I can do something to stop them. I also don't want them to ruin my full patio set in the back yard that is padded. Any ideas?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/05/03, 08:59 PM
Pay them off! Feed them peanuts.
It could be mice also.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/05/03, 09:05 PM
MICE? GROSS! We have a cat who sleeps in the birdbath right next to the patio furniture who I would think would keep mice away, but I guess she is of no help since SOMETHING is eating my furniture. Maybe the fact that she is a cat sleeping in a birdbath (filled with water) should be my first clue that she's not normal.
I'll try the negotiation technique. I'll call a meeting tomorrow with the squirrels to discuss. Thanks for the tip.
2008/05/03, 09:43 PM
To outwit a squirrel you must prepare. I'll tell you how but I must prepare. Give me 24 hours or so to go to my special place so I can make my mind right. Meantime hit Cosco or Sams and buy a huge quantity of cayenne pepper and some rubber bands. Let me know when you're ready. What I'm going to tell you works. It's the only time Wylie E got the best of the roadrunner so be ready.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
2008/05/03, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah, you'll have to sign a waiver agreeing to pay my legal fees if PETA comes after us. But, I know squirrels so it'll be worth it.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/05/04, 09:36 AM
lmao. I'm ready master. I've got the cayenne pepper and rubber bands. I've soaked the cayene pepper in water and rolled it into little beads of pepper and have been using the rubber bands as a slingshot to try and pelt the squirrels with the little pepper bb's. I do not think this is what you intended for me to do with these items. My fingers are now stained red from the cayenne and I've shot myself in the face no less than 11 times with the bands. I do not think this was correct. I'm ready for the next lesson. Thanks!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/05/04, 10:45 AM
You can also go up in the tree and act like a nut! The squirrel will then be atracted to you!:big_smile:

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)