Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Portion size refresher course....

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/04/15, 01:50 PM
I thought I would share this tip with anyone trying to lose weight. We all know that it's a good idea to measure and weigh our portions when we are starting a healthy regimine. It's hard to know how what a healthy portion size is without doing so.
After eating clean for about 3 years and losing weight gradually on and off, I still have some pounds I want to get off. I bring a 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese with me for my mid morning snack. About a week ago I decided to actually use the 1/2 cup measure to dish up the cottage cheese. I was shocked to find that it was about half the portion of what I'd been bringing. I had taught myself portion size and by eyeing my portions I think that they have gradually gotten larger, gram by gram, ounce by ounce.
I measured all of my food last week as a refresher of what's right. I did pretty good on most things, but was off on a few things as well. I was over serving the cottage cheese, on the same token, I'd been journaling that I was having 2 tablespoons of peanutbutter when I was really only having one which is a 100 calorie difference. So, if you have been doing this a while and trying to lose weight, try measuring again to see if you are still on track portion wise. I was shocked by my results!