Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Bloating and water retension

tigerlilly77
tigerlilly77
United States
2007/10/23, 05:46 PM
I hope I'm in the right area for this question(s?).

Since the last few years (approx.2-3) I have been having to give up some of my favorite foods due to bloating and severe water gain. These foods didn't always make me bloated or retain water. I am noticing now that so far the foods I can't eat without feeling this way is:
* Onions (anykind raw except green)
* Tomato's
* cabbage
* broccoli
* jalepeno's (just started this year)
* crushed red peppers (not cayenne)
* Any amount of salt (I stay clear away from adding salt
to my foods)
* Black pepper
* Some types of crackers

So far I have for the most part eliminated all of the these foods as best as I can.

But what I don't understand is why I bloat so badly.
My friend and I have teamed up working out 5 days a week and started taking measurements and weigh in days. We both have been eating very healthy 6 small meals a day.
She has lost some weight and inches but I can't seem to shake it. Not one inch anywhere (or at least where I can possibly reach). We've been doing this since August 27th (1st day of school).

I have been drinking plenty of fluids (water& water with apple-cider vinegar) throughout the day to help but nothing is helping me. I would totally understand if I used a lot of salt and ate badly but I'm not. Could this be some sort of condition that I may have? I've never heard of this before if that's the case. My lower back has just started to hurt and I can feel that the circulation in my lower body is not very good.

I would definately appreciate any thoughts on this subject.
If you need more info. please let me know.

Thank you...
Lilly
tigerlilly77
tigerlilly77
United States
2007/10/23, 06:01 PM
I wanted to edit really quick but didn't see an option.

Just wanted to add that I normally gain anywhere between 2-6lbs. when I'm bloated. And when I added the fact that my friend and I measured and weighed. Well, one day I still can't remember what it was I ate but I felt terrible later in the evening. After just measuring myself 2 days before I noticed that I really looked pregnant that day. I decided to show my hubby and measure. I was up 7.5 inches in my waist that day from bloating or water. Don't know which yet. I go up and down almost everyday. The highest I went up in one day was 9lbs. yet there have been days when I am at a stand still and am very happy with that, at least it's not a gain.

I was wondering if there might be a diet I could go on to help with the all the ups and downs. I really want either the measuring tape or the scale to down. Mainly the M.Tape.
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/10/24, 12:54 AM
When I diet I eat about every 2 to 2.5hrs and only enough to get me to the next meal. Works great and I never feel full or bloated.

Bulking diet is another story I always feel like a butterball.:big_smile:
ariesgirly
ariesgirly
United States
2007/10/30, 06:17 AM
Have you been to a Gastro MD? I had the same issue with bloating & water retention. I found out dairy was the culprit. Also, I have found that if I wait at least 3-4 hours between meals it helps. I also started on Prevacid not too long ago. I understand how you feel about bloating...I look pregnant sometimes & even the scale goes up a few pounds. Wheat also does this to me...even oatmeal! I only have it a few times a year as a treat. A doctor might be able to give you one of those tests to see what bothers you. I had a fructose test done & a lactose test done. It's long, but well worth it to see what bothers you.