Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

SOUTH BEACH?

DAYNSH
DAYNSH
United States
2007/08/24, 12:34 PM
Hi..I am a newbie, I am 336, 5'10ish, I have been reading a lot on this sight and my mind is swimming in so much information....My goal is to lose weight, and tone up...I don't want to pack on muscle, just look and feel better. In 2005 I I lost 81 pounds on the South Beach diet, and that is without excersizing..I went off in June of 06, and have since gained back 46 pounds, ugh!! Now that I have joined a gym, am lifting weights & swimming, I was thinking about going back on the diet, but I really want to do things right this time...this is a lifestyle change, but I really don't want to have to count calories, measure, etc. I am too busy for that (work & school & family) I want a diet that is simple, and something that I really don't have to think about...(if that makes sense) I did well on South Beach..It worked! Any advise or suggestions would be great!!

D
tuin
tuin
Mexico
2007/08/24, 12:42 PM
First off... I think you are looking for an easy way... there isnt

on the other hand, things are not that hard... once you learn to do your stuff it gets pretty easy and wont take you so much time...

i guess it all depends on how hard you want to look better... if you really want something, you have to make some sacrifice

it wont be easy but i am sure everyone here is willing to help and cheer you up whenever you need it

:)
DAYNSH
DAYNSH
United States
2007/08/24, 12:46 PM
I am not really looking for an easy way, just know that south beach worked for me to lose weight...I was just wondering if I could combine the diet with what I am doing now, I am told so many things, Its just a bit confusing...

Thanks for the support!

============
Quoting from tuin:

First off... I think you are looking for an easy way... there isnt

on the other hand, things are not that hard... once you learn to do your stuff it gets pretty easy and wont take you so much time...

i guess it all depends on how hard you want to look better... if you really want something, you have to make some sacrifice

it wont be easy but i am sure everyone here is willing to help and cheer you up whenever you need it

:)
=============
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/24, 05:04 PM
Daynsh, one sentence in your first post stands out to me like a blaring siren. You lost 81 lbs. on the South Beach DIET, but when you quit, you gained back 46.
The simple reason for this is that you may lose weight on a specific diet, but you will only really keep the weight off by making lifestyle changes. Fad diets (which I consider South Beach to be) may be great for taking the weight off initially, but are not realistic when it comes to a long term maintenance regime.
So, doing this on your own, try starting with small changes. Try switching from soda to water one at a time through the day. I used to drink about 8 regular sodas a day (1200 calories in soda! OUCH!), and would switch out one at a time until where I am now, which is one caffiene free diet mt dew at lunch each day. (It's my treat. ;). Once you've formed the water habit, add in a healthy breakfast such as eggs and oatmeal. When you feel comfortable with that change, then start adding in a snack, etc. In a perfect world, you would eat 5-6 small meals a day throughout the day, with a balance of carbs, protien, and fat. The perfect mix for me is 25% fat, 40% carbs and 35% protien. It may be different for you. What steps you take to get to those diet changes is up to you. There is an EASY way to figure the food intake amount too. Go to fitday.com it will track your calorie input each day (it's free and very user friendly) as well as calculate where your calories are coming from. Try that for a week or two and bring the data back here for further input and help if you want. Tuin is right, there is no easy way. I don't think that you are looking for an easy way out necessarily, but it is overwhelming when there are so many lessons to learn about a healthy lifestyle. Keep coming back here, and take it one step at a time.
Remember how long it took you to put the weight on and remember that you can experiment through this at the beginning to see what works, even down the road when you hit a plateau.
Good luck!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/24, 05:08 PM
Oh, also. I didn't talk about the timing thing. I have a schedule like yours. If you look at any of my other posts, I'm always preaching time for yourself. I've also got the work, kids, husband, volunteer activities, etc. All of us do. You need to be creative with your time and find shortcuts. I personally do my workout in the am before work (at 4:30 am, I know everyone is tired of hearing that). I also pack my lunches and snacks for the following day before I go to bed. There are a lot of time saving tips on this site.
You have to want to make time for measuring, etc for this to work for you. Trust me when I say that you only have to measure for the first month or so. This only teaches you what a normal portion size looks like. After you get the hang of it, it will be like second nature.
DAYNSH
DAYNSH
United States
2007/08/25, 05:27 PM
Thanks Amy! You have been very helpful! I don't want an easy way out, just a healthier life style. I will check out fitday...Thanks for the support!
:big_smile:
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/08/29, 01:43 PM
No problem. Good luck!!!!