Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Hypoglycemic diet help!!

danboyrd
danboyrd
United States
2007/05/18, 11:49 PM
Hey, I'm hoping somoeone can help me out. I am hypoglycemic and to be honest with you, my diet sucks. I have a hard time eating big meals because I simply get full too fast but then very shortly after I am really hungry again.

I tend to do best eating more smaller meals a lot throughout the day, the only problem is that I am a restaurant manager that works 10 hours a day and I definately cannot take a bunch of small lunch breaks through the day.

Is there anyone else out there in a similar predicament?

I want to eat better and get healthier but I am just struggling badly with my diet. Any help would be great!

Thanks
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/05/20, 08:02 AM
Dan I am also HG. I can tell you that big meals and hg don't agree. You have to find a way to eat smaller meals thru out the day. I am on my cell right now but I will be back in the morning and tell you how I work things out.

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled "Sex for Dummies" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/20, 12:31 PM
I am not HG, but my grandfather was. He always took a jar of PB with him everywhere!! Not sure if that might benefit you or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/05/21, 08:38 AM
Dan, I recently found out I was HG. All the signs have been there for at least 12+ years, but thats another story. I have done a TON of reading and have come to realize that in alot of ways it can be beneficial. Basically your body is super efficient at useing carbs. Which means you are less likely to store (but that is bad). I have read 4 interesting medical studies regarding body builders and HG. Low carb diets and HG do NOT work. I tried a lower carb diet and ended up with stitches from passing out.
As far as a diet goes... well that would depend on your level of activity and your metabolism. You will need to eat more carbs than most people to keep your blood sugar regulated. And yes it is much better to eat them over several meals to keep from getting the low and high spikes.

here is a cut and past from bb.com

It is almost impossible to diagnose hypoglycemia by drawing blood after you suffer an attack of the above symptoms because your body produces adrenalin immediately and raises it's blood sugar levels before the blood can be drawn. It can be diagnosed by feeding you lots of sugar and measuring the blood sugar every 1/2 hour for several hours. If you do suffer from hypoglycemia, your doc then has to find the cause that may include a damaged liver, hormone imbalances, or even tumors/glandular abnormalities. For many people in the fitness field that cut carbs, go long periods of time with low water or food, and those who do cardio early in the morning without eating-the symptoms above are experienced on a regular basis. For the strength athletes out there, performance in your sport is important. As your workout or competition day starts to wear on, your blood sugar may drop if you haven't taken in enough nutrients.

The way I am trying to control things is by sticking to things that are low-medium glycemic foods which cause a slow rise in blood sugar. This is the way a "normal" person would handle hg. There are some other factors that would enter in if you are interested in Bodybuilding. Those things.. well I am still in the learning curve on that.

But basically to answer your question... keep to low gi foods and your blood sugar will even out. Also remember that if you are feeling the onset to eat a high GI food/ drink.

Dan I used to be a floor manager myself. The best thing you can do is plan ahead. Take meals with you that are easy to snack on and that you can eat cold or hot. Think about meatloaf made with oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs and things like that.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gi_index.htm

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/05/21, 08:54 AM
I forgot to add that the link I put in is where you can find the GI of foods and even put in a number range you want to stay in. Good luck!

--------------
My Catahoula did it.