Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Im in distress!

Arngrim
Arngrim
Canada
2002/08/09, 11:53 PM
Hi i was wondering whether somebody could help me out here. First off my diet has been pretty good. I have always followed a fairly solid eating schedule. But lately i have felt insecure as to what i eat. My question has to do with skim milk and other dairy products. Usually i drank about 1.5 litres of milk daily. This supplied me with about 50 grams of protein per day from milk. But after reading arnold schwarznegger's encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding i got scared because it said something about an overdose of vitamin a and d can cause some problems. And on my skim milk package its says that one 250 mL cup has 44% of the RDA of vitamin D and 14% of vitamin A. ANd here i am drinking maybe 6-7 of these cups of milk when all i need is 2 a day. Is this at all dangerous to my health i mean and not to mention all the cottage cheese i eat too. Can too much dairy products be bad and can i overdose on these two fat soluble vitamins from them. Im just so confused that i am limiting my dairy intake daily because i dont know to do. I mean if this is dangerous is there any type of skim milk i can buy that doesnt have these vitamins added so far all the milks i see are fortified with these two vitamins. Or is it safe and am i just being foolish. Please someone help me? If u got any advice. Then i hear other stuff like bodybuilders driniking a gallon of milk a day. Is this dangerous or should i just go about drinking milk the way i used to or should i limit it because it is a big part of my protein intake. I also eat turkey, chicken and meats but i need more and the milk really helped. What should i do?
Sempai
Sempai
Canada
2002/08/10, 09:02 AM
You should research the vitamins, find out what levels you should have for your size that does make some differences. Vitamin A in perticular is in a lot of foods not just dairy, I must admit 1.5 litres of milk a day seems like a high intake to me, but thats my opinion I limit my milk intake to max 500 ml. In the nutritian section here you can check out specific vitamins try that. There is a site www.vitaminsminerals.com mite help or if you live in Canada go to a Shoppers drug mart they have tones of info on vitamins. Let me know how you make out

--------------
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember the ark was built by amateurs, The Titanic was built by professionals.
Jingo8
Jingo8
United Kingdom
2002/08/10, 10:55 AM
i drink up to 4 pints of milk a day, thats about 2.2 litres.

The RDA is just that, recomended. The body can cope with much more than this amount and will excrete what it doesn't need.

You can have too much bit i don't see 2 litres a day being over the top. My vit A intake is around 7 times the RDA
GymKitten
GymKitten
United Kingdom
2002/08/11, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about the milk.
What I would worry about more is NOT eating a healthy balanced diet! Make sure you diet is healthy and balanced and I'm sure you'll be OK. There are much worse things in food than vitamin A (eg pesticides on veg, hormones and antibiotics in meat)- now why don't you start worrying about THOSE! I certainly do...