Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Low fat/fat free cheese in England?

Jingo8
Jingo8
United Kingdom
2002/07/25, 11:40 AM
Is anyone here from England?

Obveously we have slightly different brands and probucts here.

I spent around 3 hours just looking around 2 supermarkets (tesco and sainsburys) looking for various items, checking contents etc, as well as buying some things i've not had before just to see if i can live with eating it lol.

I have a pretty good list now of good food to keep me going with out getting bored. However, i couldn't find any decent low fat cheese. About the best i could see was 10% fat. Is that as low as it gets?
We do have Kraft here but i couldn't find any of their low fat slices i've heard mentioned several times.

Anyone had any luck? A little cheese can go a long way to make other foods stomachable (is that a word? lol).

Thanks =)
quads123
quads123
Canada
2002/07/25, 05:20 PM
Hi ...

I think lo-fat/fat-free cheese is definitely a North American thing. I never saw it when I lived in London, though you can find it in almost every grocery store here in Canada.

I think if you used regular cheese (10% MF+) in moderation, you should be okay.
francs
francs
United Kingdom
2002/07/26, 04:56 PM
Cottage cheese is available at Tesco and Sainsbury's just to cite two major supermarkets... Its virtually fat free and it has lots of good protein (casein). Perfect for pre-bed meal/snac

--------------
Fran
Jingo8
Jingo8
United Kingdom
2002/07/28, 10:24 AM
Cottage cheese isn't a problem. I LOVE Tesco's 1.7% fat cottage cheese with mint and cucumber. Most of the one with something have more fat, this one is actually less. All super markets do lots of different cottage cheese.

But that isn't really cheese is it?

I was after propper cheese, still no luck btw. Tesco do a "heathly eating" one but it's still 10% fat. I'm after fat loss so it's really not worth having that much in 1 item.

Oh btw, Safeway and Tesco do a diabetic icecream. It's not as good as normal icecream but pretty healthy considering =)