Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Type 2 Diabetic and need help with diet

bigbike
bigbike
United States
2002/05/11, 07:20 PM
Too much protein is not good for diabetics (my mom died of Kidney failure), I am type 2 diabetic and am trying to add muscle while losing fat, I currently take in about 90 grms of protein a day (158 weight) as well as watch my carbs and simple sugars. I take 1000mg a day of Glucophage. I eat 3 meals and suppliment with either a protein shake or a high (30 gr) bar of protein. Any help you folks can give is appreciated, cause my Dr. does not know what to tell me in regard to putting on muscle and removing fat from my body (27% bf) I am female by the way.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/05/11, 11:13 PM
You can make a significant change in your body composition by weight training on a regular basis. I have family members who are type 2 and they hit the gym on a regular basis. At the same time you need to enlist the help of your Dr and a nutritionalist who specializes in this area. I know there are many resources on the internet...it would be a good place to start. If your Dr. cannot help you maybe he can refer you to someone that can. Good Luck.

--------------
Take care of what you have been given......Leslie
bigbike
bigbike
United States
2002/05/12, 10:05 AM

I have been hitting the gym for a number of yrs. I work out with weights 2-3X per week and do cardio another 2-3X per week. I go to the best (by all other Dr's) endocrine around these parts, and he does not understand why a bodybuilder would need more protein than the USDA recommends. He also advises against most suppliments based on the fact he has no knowledge of them (I asked him straight up). I have watched my disease "progress" from just diet and exercise to pills, diet and exercise in the last 10 years (2 yrs ago I had to start the pills). I Want to put on more mass without putting on the body fat. I am just recovering from a low back injury (2 discs and surgery) any help is appreciated
============
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/05/12, 04:40 PM
A coworker of mine and his fiancee, who's training for her first competition, go to see a doctor who also happens to be or have been into bodybuilding, if you live in Chicago I could get his name for you, from what I hear he seems to really know his stuff. Or maybe if you tell me what area you are in, I can find out if he can give you a referral.
bigbike
bigbike
United States
2002/05/13, 05:44 PM

No, but thanks anyway, I live in the Phila Pa area.
============