Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Supplement Critique

rkahl
rkahl
United States
2006/03/27, 05:26 PM
I'm a 53 year old male. Height 5-4, weight 150, bf 13-14%.
Been training for several years. Please look over this supplement list and if anyone has any suggestions for improvement, please comment. I'm looking to drop about 7lb of fat and gain the same in muscle. I feel my weight now is just about where it needs to be. Here is my supplement schedule. I have not been taking any creatine or test boosters in the past. I just started the 6-oxo and trib & ZMA yesterday.

5:30am (pre workout)
1) Scoop Muscle Milk shake with a little fruit
2.5gr Creatine in 6oz of water
3)6-OXO capsules

7:30am (post workout)
2.5gr. Creatine in 6oz of water
1½ scoop Muscle Milk shake with a little fruit (in shake)
5gr. L-Glutamine (in shake)
1) Tablespoon flax oil (in shake)
1) Teaspoon fish oil (in shake)
2) Super Earth multi vitamin & minerals (Bluebonnet)
1) Calcium, magnesium, zinc capsule (333mg cal., 175mg mag., 5mg zinc, 125mg. Vitamin D)
1) Chromium Picolinate capsule (200mcg)
1) Vitamin C (1000mg)
2) Keto-7 capsules (50mg)
2) Tribulus Terestris (1250mg)

9:30am
1) Protein shake (EAS Edge 100 cal.) or protein bar

12:00pm
1) Super Earth multi vitamin & mineral capsule
1) Calcium, magnesium, zinc capsule (333mg cal., 175mg mag., 5mg zinc, 125mg. Vitamin D)
1) Vitamin C (1000mg)
1) Keto-7 capsule (25mg)

3:00pm
Protein shake (EAS 100cal.) or protein bar

6:30pm
1) Super Earth multi vitamin & mineral capsule
1) Chromium Picolinate capsule (200 mcg)
1) Vitamin C (1000mg)
1) Tablespoon Flax Oil
1) Teaspoon Fish Oil
3) 6-OXO Capsules
2) Tribulus Terestris (1250mg)

8:30pm
1) Scoop Muscle Milk shake
5gr L-Glutamine (in shake)
1) Keto-7 capsule (25mg)
3) ZMA (Before Bed)
1 oz. liquid Glucosomine & Chondroitin w/ MSM

mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/03/27, 08:01 PM
I have to ask since I can't figure out where you scedule any food in your daily routine. What if any food do you take in???

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
rkahl
rkahl
United States
2006/03/27, 09:00 PM

I did not include food intentionally. This is just my supplement and protein shake schedule. I eat 3 regular meals in conjunction with these supplements and shakes.
============
Quoting from mikencharleston:

I have to ask since I can't figure out where you scedule any food in your daily routine. What if any food do you take in???

=============
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/03/27, 09:29 PM
The reason I asked is that you're taking a supplemental meal just about every 3 hours. If you're taking in 3 regular meals on top of that do you know what your caloric intake is. If you're wanting to preserve or even gain lean mass and lose that little bit of stubborn fat you have to have your diet almost perfect. I love muscle milk but never when trying to cut. I haven't taken it in awhile but do remember it was relatively high in fat for a cut. I would suggest dropping the shake before bed and switch to something slower dissolving like cottage cheese but if it's working for you.... :) I know they promote it as a good pre bedtime shake but when I was using it found myself gaining instead of losing. Probably the biggest difference is I have to supplement fats as I don't get enough in my diet and it was hard to balance with the higher fat content in Muscle Milk.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
2006/03/29, 04:10 PM
I would pick 1 goal...either gain muscle or lose fat....almost impossible to do both at the same time....
rkahl
rkahl
United States
2006/03/29, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the response. I agree that it is very hard to add muscle and lose fat at the same time. Everything has to be perfect. I am hoping to get a little edge with the test boosters. I have never tried them before so I don't know what results I will get if any. I was interested however in thoughts on the actual supplements I mentioned, not so much on diet or training approaches.
============
Quoting from menace3000:

I would pick 1 goal...either gain muscle or lose fat....almost impossible to do both at the same time....
=============
2006/03/30, 04:05 AM
looks fine...DHEA can be an option....as can testosterone prescribed by your doctor....

your supplement list is good....

L-glutamine is useless...so if u adding it you can stop...it's been shown ineffective....

I would take creatine with juice or sugary mixture....it is more readily absorbed if you take it with apple/grape/lemonade mix/etc......
rkahl
rkahl
United States
2006/03/30, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am curious about your view on L-Glutamine however. Can you tell me what evidence I can find to back up your statement? My belief has been that it is very important. If I am wrong, I would like to see the proof and more importantly, save my money.

============
Quoting from menace3000:

looks fine...DHEA can be an option....as can testosterone prescribed by your doctor....

your supplement list is good....

L-glutamine is useless...so if u adding it you can stop...it's been shown ineffective....

I would take creatine with juice or sugary mixture....it is more readily absorbed if you take it with apple/grape/lemonade mix/etc......
=============
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2006/04/04, 09:34 AM
I have a question for you, Why so much supplements? Maybe I am different from everyone else on here, but I think that is WAY too much. How do you get the energy to take all of that. I think people put way too much stock in supplementation. Like the poster above stated, your diet should be the key, not 100's of pills a day. I have been bodybuilding for almost 4 years, I am 5'11 220 and all muscle and I don't even use protein shakes. I eat right and lift hard. A multivitamin and glutamine is good enough. Save your money and go hard in the gym.
LukasRL
LukasRL
United States
2006/04/04, 09:45 PM
L-glutamine
2006/04/05, 07:05 AM
I believe Bb1fit had a fairly recent post about L-glutamine being shown through recent data to be nothing more than a placebo effect in healthy individuals....
rkahl
rkahl
United States
2006/04/05, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the response.

I generally just take multi-vitamins, protein shakes and efa's and have been for years. At 54 years old, part of this new regimin is to naturally boost testosterone some for many reasons,one of which is fitness. I do eat right and I do lift hard. When you get stuck for a long time at the same plateau, changing something is probably in order. I am a well trained muscular person already but am trying to take it to the next level. At my age, I'll take an edge if I can get it and it is safe and effective. I'll know more soon about whether or not the supplements are helping. It has only been one week since I started.

By the way, what is your age?
============
Quoting from traderhines:

I have a question for you, Why so much supplements? Maybe I am different from everyone else on here, but I think that is WAY too much. How do you get the energy to take all of that. I think people put way too much stock in supplementation. Like the poster above stated, your diet should be the key, not 100's of pills a day. I have been bodybuilding for almost 4 years, I am 5'11 220 and all muscle and I don't even use protein shakes. I eat right and lift hard. A multivitamin and glutamine is good enough. Save your money and go hard in the gym.
=============
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2006/04/11, 04:32 PM
I am 29 and it pretty much gets hard for all of us who has been lifting for awhile. I know you are older and your body type changes as you age, but you can still apply some of the same principles. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think all of those supplements are going to take you to the next level unless you throw some andro in there. I think the key to it is to keep the body guessing. I tell people all the time that you can put down the barbells and dumbells and still gain size and strength. My favorite thing to do is calesthetics. I know that calesthetics is more conditioning but can grab some muscle out of it. Get yourself a dip belt and a weighted vest and do nothing but calesthetics for two months straight. I gaurantee you that you will see strength and size. Switch every few months and watch your body transform. This thing that we do and love is not that complicated, we make it so.
Here is a site you can get your weighted vest from:
http://www.weightvest.com/
The vest go up to 100 pounds. If you need any pointers, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

============
Quoting from rkahl:

Thanks for the response.

I generally just take multi-vitamins, protein shakes and efa's and have been for years. At 54 years old, part of this new regimin is to naturally boost testosterone some for many reasons,one of which is fitness. I do eat right and I do lift hard. When you get stuck for a long time at the same plateau, changing something is probably in order. I am a well trained muscular person already but am trying to take it to the next level. At my age, I'll take an edge if I can get it and it is safe and effective. I'll know more soon about whether or not the supplements are helping. It has only been one week since I started.

By the way, what is your age?

=============