Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

working out with multiple sclerocis

shortness1118
shortness1118
United States
2006/03/21, 06:30 PM
i was recently diagnosed with m.s. I have also made the decision to join the police force and wanted some feedback. What would you all suggest as a work out routine for someone in my position? Please keep in mind patients with multiple sclerocis have many on and off days where it is hard to move around and their coordination can be very off at times. I fortunatly am on investigational medication that can help with those symptoms but my body is suffering, i can't seem to find exercises that work the body but are not overly straining.Please help all suggestions welcome.
2006/03/23, 03:56 AM
Deadlifts
Lunges
DB Squats
Hack Squats
Shrugs
Rows
Pulldowns

-these exercises are big compound variety yet if you will start to feel dizzy or start losing coordination you can just drop the weight to the floor....

Inside a Power Rack with safety bars:
Barbell Squats
Bench Press
Sitting Barbell Presses

-inside power rack with safety bars you can safely do just about any big compound exercise safely on your own....yet even so I would still ahve a spotter so that if you start feeling poor...worst case scanario the person can call 911....
I would go light....these big exercises will work your body better with lighter weight vs smaller exercises with more weight....and start increasing weight slowly....once you can do 15 reps....increase weight 5lb....I would try to work with a friend or even two...and always have a person to spot you.....I would really suggest you have a workout buddy.....just in case....

I would also work out near big solid structures...like walls, squat cages, etc...so yuo can brace yourself if you start feeling dizzy...etc...

good luck with police training and beating/overcoming MS....