Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

HELP!!!

drunkenmymes
drunkenmymes
United States
2006/03/16, 12:36 AM
Ok, so I've been doing a LOT of research on various different supplements and have narrowed down my search to a few I'm considering which seem like the right thing for me. Up to this point I've just read the forum and never posted so here is a little background info:
I'm 6' 4", 190lbs, 18 years old, and am counting calories to get more definition. The problem is that I work out like crazy (intense 1h 30 min work out every day switching between upper body and lower body) and don't see much gain in mass OR definition which is starting to bother me. I'm trying to get my body fat percentage down so I get definition on my abs (I'm at 12% and still not there yet even though I work my abs out until I can't anymore). The problem is that at the same time I'm trying to put on some lean muscle mass and the two goals seem to be in conflict with each other. I get tired very easily when working out and my skimpy diet isn't helping out either. I lift heavy weights with an average of 3 sets and 8-12 reps at the most to gain more mass and no result. Another issue is my joint/tendon/ligament/idontknowwhatelse problem. I get very acute pains on my shoulder that run down the length of my triceps and it doesn't feel like muscular pain. My doctor has described this as possibly being caused due to unstable shoulders that x-rays have shown my shoulders possess similar characteristics of. I have stopped any form of strenuous shoulder exercises including any form of benching or other chest work out (since they usually put the shoulder under a lot of pressure) for that reason. He also recommended in addition to that to work out my shoulders everyday with a number of different exercises utilizing low weights and high reps and I've followed through with that. I have noticed an increased in strength but not a decrease in pain. Now the real question is, after researching a number of different products I have read that the following products could help me in such areas:

Protein - muscle build up (duhhh!)
Creatine - endurance/energy
cAMP - energy/fat loss
Cissus - tendon,ligament, and joint pain relief/recovery
HMB - lean mass gain/fat loss/prevent cell damage
Arginine - NO2 substitute, as I've heard bad things about it
Glucosomine - tendon,ligament,joint pain relief/recovery
Choindroitin - tendon,ligament,joint pain relief/recovery
MSM - tendon,ligament,joint pain relief/recovery
Celadrin - tendon,ligament,joint pain relief/recovery
BCAA - lean muscle mass retention/prevent catabolism
Carnitine - fat loss/reducte muscle breakdown
Glutamine Peptide - prevent catabolism/fat loss/recovery
ESA (Flax Seed Oil, etc.)- tendon,ligament,joint pain relief
Taurine - reduce muscle breakdown/lean muscle mass gain

Keep in mind I already do ingest a good 150g of protein and am just looking for the best way to do it and also take omega-3 + "one a day" multivitamin (pretty weak i know). I would GREATLY appreciate it if somebody could walk me through this on what to take, when to take it, how much to take, and what to stack. All this research has scramble my brains into a least desirable stew =P
ZaneO
ZaneO
United States
2006/03/16, 12:53 AM
How many days are you resting between the same body parts?
drunkenmymes
drunkenmymes
United States
2006/03/16, 03:37 PM
I get about 2 days rest usually.
ZaneO
ZaneO
United States
2006/03/16, 04:05 PM
I would start with changing your routine to at least 5 days rest between the same muscle group. You won't have optimum results if you're not allowing adequate time for your muscles to recooperate.
drunkenmymes
drunkenmymes
United States
2006/03/16, 05:12 PM
My trouble with that is that I can't put strain on my shoulders and therefore am limited to only a few select exercises. On top of this I get extremely tired when working out only a certain muscle group per day so I usually mix it up between a good 3 of them per day plus abs. That means I am getting no more than 3 sets done really. Now when I try to do a "bicep and shoulders day" or something I always tire out before being able to finish my work out since I spend so much time on each muscle. Keep in mind I am "obligated" to work out for 1.5 hours every day with no cardio since I work out at school and have no cardio machines. I do ride the stationary bike we have avaible on lower body days but only on lower body days because I do very streneous work outs with my legs (3 sets of 20 reps 920lbs leg press) and need to give them time to rest before working out again. Today I choose to drop that weight down to 830lbs because the supports that my shoulders rest on have been bruising me and left me extremely sore. Now I just do my work out a lot slower receiving the same results with a lot more repetitions (which will probably result to better cuts though I'm not concerned with lower body definition as of now). But again, that takes out a lot more energy. When I do heavy weights the work outs seems to be more intense but I can do more sets. With low weights and high reps I usually have trouble getting my 3rd set done. That is one of the reasons I'm considering creatine/cAMP/etc.