Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

flaxseed oil

keith
keith
United States
2001/04/14, 02:16 AM
Does anyone know anything about flaxseed oil and what is it's purpose?
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/14, 07:10 AM
Hi keith. Yeah I have a bit of info on flaxseed and flaxseed oil. I'll try to keep it short but there's a lot to tell so don't count on it!
Flaxseed is the richest source of alpha-linolenic acid, which is a plant source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are essential(meaning the body can't produce them)acids. They are needed for growth and development. They are building blocks of eicosanoids, which are hormonelike coumpounds that regulate body functions such as blood pressure,clotting, ect. Deficiency of omega-3s is linked to skin problems, arthritis and joint stiffness, PMS, irritable bowel syndrome, and more.
In animal studies flaxseed has reduced existing tumors related to breast and colon, and stopped new tumors from forming. Flaxseed and flaxseed oil, in one study from the University of Toronto, reduced the growth of existing tumors by half.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/14, 08:05 AM
Flaxseed oil also lowers your levels of "bad" LDL cholestrol. It appears to protect against heart attack and stroke by reducing platelets ability to clump which is a cause of hardening of the arteries. It also helps your body reduce levels of triglycerides which are bad for your heart in high levels.
Flaxseed and flaxseed oil has more bebefits than what I've listed here. Worth taking I'd say.
keith
keith
United States
2001/04/15, 01:35 AM
OK it sounds like a wonder drug. How often should you take it and how?
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/14, 06:49 PM
Skelds got that right. Flaxseed has Omega 3,6, & 9. Its cold pressed ans should be refrigerated. Use it as marinade, salad dressing, but do not use it to cook kwith. High heat will "destroy" the acids. Take 1 tablespoon per 100# BW.
keith
keith
United States
2001/04/15, 01:37 AM
Is the 1 tablespoon per dose and how many doses per day?
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/15, 08:33 PM
The recommended dosage is 1 tablespoon per 100 pounds body weight.Take it all at once or break it up. But until your intestines get used to the increased fat it will "loosen"" you up and is irritating to the anal area(burns). My suggestion is to start with 1 tablespoon per day and gradually increase to max dose.
sunnyjack
sunnyjack
United States
2001/04/16, 04:34 PM
I get organic flax seeds at the health food store and grind them in a coffee grinder and add them to protien drinks, cereal, oatmeal, whatever - they have a mild nutty taste and I think this is the best way to add flax seeds to my diet. They must be ground if you use whole seeds or they will just pass right on through.
keith
keith
United States
2001/04/17, 02:34 AM
That is the first time I've heard about using the seeds. Do they still give you a funny smell. When I take the oil my hair smell funny.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/21, 09:15 PM
Remember that enything you take into your body will have a way to change your chemistry. Garlic and such does the same thing.Hear about dogs fighting fleas with pills?
keith
keith
United States
2001/04/17, 02:31 AM
thanks I'll give it a try.
BillK
BillK
United States
2001/05/02, 09:15 PM
Below is a snippet of a document I obtained somewhere on the net. As you can see Flax Seed is a must fore everyones diet.

What are the Benefits of Supplementing with Flax Seed Oil?
Flax Seed Oil shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion.
Flax Seed Oil increases the body’s production of energy and also increases stamina.
Flax Seed Oil accelerates the healing of sprains.
It eases weight loss in people afflicted with obesity.
It stimulates brown fat cells and increases the metabolic rate making it easier to burn off fat.
Flax Seed Oil improves the absorption of Calcium.
There is evidence to support that may improve the function of the anabolic hormone, insulin.
It is able to accelerate the healing of bruises.
Flax Seed Oil strengthens finger and toe nails.
It can improve eyesight and perception of colours.
It can often improve the function of the liver.
It can relieve the side effects and stop development of many forms of cancer.
Flax Seed Oil can relieve some cases of Asthma.
In some cases it may relieve Alopecia Areata with hair regrowth (After 1 Year of use).
It is helpful in the treatment of Eczema or flaky skin.
It is helpful in the treatment of Dandruff and also dull hair.
It can relieve the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis. It can relieve the symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus.
It can alleviate some allergies.
It helps prevent Atherosclerosis
Flax Seed Oil lowers high blood pressure in Hypertension sufferers.
Flax Seed Oil has been scientifically proven to treat some cases of depression.
It can improve the mental function of many old age pensioners.
It can help in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
It has been proven to improve the behavior of Schizophrenics.
It can relieve some cases of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) in females.
The dietary essential fatty acids common to Flax Seed Oil are converted by the body to Prostaglandin's (a hormone like substance) which are important for regulating the following:
Steroid Production & hormone synthesis.
Pressure in joints, blood vessels and the eye.
Blood Clotting Ability.
Water retention.
Inflammation Pain.
Nerve Transmission.

~billk~
BillK
BillK
United States
2001/12/14, 09:35 AM
Bump this one to the top.
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/12/14, 01:42 PM
Yup...flax seed oil is a plus to any diet...I have been taking it for almost a year now...and don't plan on cutting it out of my diet....It contains a fat that is essential to your body...most people are deficient in that area. I would recommend it.

Good Luck!