Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Depressed

chriscolesmom
chriscolesmom
United States
2005/10/25, 02:50 AM
I am a new member, and going through a very rough time right now. I have a "disorder" (I don't know if you could even call it disorder) with NOT eating when I'm depressed. I know that there are people who use food for sympathy, but, for me it's like I use my hunger for sympathy. I guess its almost like I use it to be stronger...when I'm hungry, I feel the pains of it, but don't eat = when I'm sad, I feel like I could cry, but I hold it back. I have read a lot of the messages posted on here, and I see that you are all a very supportive group, and I don't get that from anybody...so I guess what I'm asking is for the ft members to help me through this...I don't know any of you, and I guess that helps. I feel like I'm asking a huge favor from a bunch of people who could care less...but I would rather try and fail, other than fail to try. Advise anyone?
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/10/25, 04:26 AM
Can you pin point what makes you get down in the first place? What triggers it? I'm sorry you feel like this, when I'm down, I always seek help here - they are all wonderfully supportive! When you're in a period of not wanting to eat, perhaps you could drink a nutrition shake, or something, as not eating at all will ultimately bring your mood down further.

Katie
chriscolesmom
chriscolesmom
United States
2005/10/25, 12:57 PM
Well, there are a number of things that are making me depressed...My dad has just relapsed back into his alcoholism - even after the doctors told him if he started drinking again, he'd die - I'm a single mother...that should explain some of it...I just feel like I'm doing everything on my own, and nobody is there to support me. I'm usually the one helping everyone with their problems, and when it comes down to mine, no one asks me how I'm doing, how I'm feeling, or what I'm thinking. But I also guess that I hide behind everyone else's problems. My mom is going through some things right now, and she used to be the one that I talked to about all of my problems, but now its like she doesn't have enough strength to even listen. I don't know what to do. Thanks kalanchoe for trying to help me...I do appreciate it
dendys
dendys
United States
2005/10/25, 03:22 PM
Depression has been explained to me as aanger turned inside out. I too come from an alcoholic family and no-one ever taught me how to cope, so in turn I lack coping skills.Today I have 9 years in recover from the desease and I have to tell on myself, how I'm feeling and what I can do to make myself feel better withou hurting myself or anyone else. Why are we anger and how can we be good to ourself. I would just do a nice deed for me and that would always make me feel worthy and valued. Give your dad and mom back their shame and guilt and take ownership of your life, you deserve it. God is love and love is God. Prayer also really helps me stay connected with a positve attitude, so God Bless to you today and always.
stellababy
stellababy
United States
2005/10/25, 05:21 PM
My older sister drinks nutritional shakes when in a state of depression, so that IS a good idea. I am the opposite of her and just eat and eat and eat, though...
I understand what your feeling with having to deal with your parents' alcoholism-I had to deal with my mom's until she abandoned me at my dad's 3 years ago. I had to take care of everyone and everything when I was living there. I still do, but that's because everyone's lazy and angry all the time. My mom's getting married again and back in my life-she's happy.(I'm still afraid of a relapse with her, though-she can become very unhappy very easily...)

I can only give you the advice to not give up. And, the shakes DO work for my sister, so...give that a try. I'm wishing you all the luck in recovering. When you get down, call a good friend(my favorite option), get online here to talk to someone, or write about it(this helps me most-poetry).nn:big_smile:I'm just giving you the options I give myself, here, so they may not be for you. You could always give them a try!:)
Good luck! God bless!
-Stella:big_smile:

--------------
quote Marva Collins:\"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do most are the things you will do best.\"
:)
chriscolesmom
chriscolesmom
United States
2005/10/25, 07:58 PM
Thanks all of you for your advise and support. It helps a lot to know that there ARE people who give a damn about other people in the world...even someone who you all don't even know. So, today is a better day...can you guys give me some advise on what I can do to keep in shape without free weights, machines, or signing up with a gym? (Short on cash)I need to lose fat around my mid-section, arms, and thighs, and also want to tone those areas. Thanks again for the advise everyone...take care!:big_smile:
stellababy
stellababy
United States
2005/10/25, 08:27 PM
I'm glad you're having a better day!:big_smile: I am, too. I'm pushing AWAY the fact that my bf's moving to Florida just to make my mood HAPPIER, but it's kinda hard-oh, well, I'll have plenty of time to be in a bad mood tomorrow when he leaves. Sorry, I won't complain about MY life anymore...WOOPS!:big_smile: As for the advice-I think I'll leave it to the grown ups on this one! Wishing everyone more good days!!!:big_smile:

--------------
A Comfortably Numb Chica
:)
dendys
dendys
United States
2005/10/26, 04:59 PM
Getting in shape at home starts with eating every 3 hours about 300 calories and drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Before breakfast take a brisk walk for at least 20 minutes then go home and stretch. Then stand with legs wide(2nd position ballst style) and bend knees up and down (3setsof 15-25reps), then legs together (3x15). For upper body do half push-ups with knees on floor or standard with back straight.(3x15). Dips for triceps (3x15). Lay towel on floor and do cruches with back on floor and just raising shoulders of ground(3x25), lower abs do knee ups, pull knees to chest and lift pelvic slight off floor(3x15)
Start there and let me know how it's going.
www.dendys.com
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/10/26, 09:27 PM
Also for a home workout without free weights you may want to use a large soda bottle or 2 in place of weights and adjust the weight by adding water. You can also use canned food as lighter weights. Good Luck and exercise WILL make you feel better.
Good luck and we are here for you!:love:

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
dendys
dendys
United States
2005/10/27, 06:00 PM

How is it going out there? Just to my CPR and I am excited. C YA>
brchandler
brchandler
United States
2006/03/16, 12:31 PM
hi , I understand being Depressed , I get depressed but I over eat alot , I have depression problems that stem back far as 13yrs old but I was never over weight until now , but I east when I want someone to talk to , sad , lonely , it is my comfort food , and I am trying to fight it as much as possible it is very hard > sometimes I think that if I could cure my depression I wouldnt be fat , but both are to hard to overcome at the same time .:)