Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Getting Enough Protein w/o supplements

artsyfartsy_26
artsyfartsy_26
United States
2005/07/13, 06:03 PM
Hi, I am a 19 yr old male about 5'8, 151 lbs. I am a sophomore in college, and I like to lift and run a lot (been doing it for the past few years). I am attempting to increase both my strength and my endurance, and I know that is hard to do at the same time. During the school year, I eat a lot of lean meat, dairy, and I take protein powder to get my protein. However, in summer, I go home, and though I eat extremely healthy, I don't know whether I'm getting enough protein. My parents are vegetarian, so I become a de-facto vegetarian over the summer. This would be ok, except for the fact that I don't have access to supplements for protein either. Though I like eating healthy (lots of fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy, etc.), to keep from losing strength I need to eat more protein. Any ideas?
(By the way, I lift 3 times a week and run about 40 miles a week, if that helps any)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/07/13, 10:39 PM
Stock up on the cottage cheese and get some canned tuna in water.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/07/14, 08:00 AM
track what you eat during the day here or at fitday.com. then you can see how much protein you are getting during the day. then, like carivan said, pick up some essentials. just bvecause your parents are vegetarians doesnt mean you have to be. cook up some chicken breasts, turkey burgers, whatever you want.. and add them to your meal. your parents will respect your dietary concerns and choices, and that you are pursuing an active and healthy lifestyle :)