Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

hormones

ClaudiaSY
ClaudiaSY
United States
2004/09/09, 07:15 PM
Hi!
I'd like to share some interesting news I received today with you.
Turns out that bingeing affects hormone levels, which in turn of course influence mood, which in turn (in my case at least) caused more bingeing, a habit I had as a result of stress.
I found this out from a doctor today, who prescribed medication to me against a surge in excessive hormonal hair growth - which has happened throughout the time of my bingeing disorder. The medication cleans out the kidney, which, when retaining too much, causes a hormonal imbalance that in my case became visible through the excessive hair-growth I've experienced recently. (I know this sounds kind of nasty! I sure hope it goes away soon now!)
This is just my basic, non-medically trained understanding of it, but it makes sense given everything I've been told, even if I can't quote the exact medical terminology.
In any case, in order to counter this, I'm supposed to drink tons of fluids to flush out the kidney.
I wanted to pass this on in case it helps someone else, and to say just how much it helps also to know that it's not all psychological, there are physical factors involved, and simple steps like drinking a lot of water can help.
(I don't think I'm going to take the medication, since it has quite a range of side effects. I'll just have to wax. But at least I know that keeping my kidney clean will have a direct, physical, positive influence on my mood, and hence against bingeing too!)
Cheers,
Claudia