Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Bullemic for 7 years

ATKINS2727
ATKINS2727
United Kingdom
2004/07/08, 04:00 AM
Please can anybody help. My sister has been bullemic for 7 years now. She's tried councelling, hypnotherapy, self help books and altho they work temporarily, after a couple of weeks she turns back to it. I want to help her so badly but we're running out of ideas!
2004/07/09, 09:37 AM
I'm no expert and haven't suffered from the disorder myself, but I had a close family member go through it for a couple years. The thing that really helped her was structure and medication. The medication helped her depression, and the structure came with having a steady job and a strict (though moderate) workout schedule. Moving out of her parents' house also helped her. For her, she needed to take complete control of her life without the pressure of her home environment. It's not always that simple, though, so I hope you find something that can help. The depression meds were key.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
firechic
firechic
United States
2004/07/12, 11:20 PM
I was actually anorexic for 8 years. For me it was a matter of control. I was 11 when I first got my taste of being anorexic. I made the cheerleading squad and I was bigger than the other girls. Now that I look back I realize that I was not big at all, but at that time being bigger than the other girls scared me. The problem was just moderate through my middle school years, but went full force when I joined the Varsity Cheerleading Squad my freshman year of high school. During high school I had gotten down to 105 lbs. My boyfriend used to tell me how beautiful I was and how he wanted just me. Well, the day before an ROTC competition I collapsed from malnutrition. I then realized what I was doing to myself and started slowly but surely eating again. I had gotten up to 130 my senior year. I then moved on to college the next year and tried out for the college cheerleading squad, but I was not selected. I asked the coach why, and she told me that I was overweight and that I did not take enough pride in my body. Now mind you I am 5'5" and of pure German decent. I am big boned to say the least and have asthma that calls for steroid treatments at times. That sent me over the edge. That year I went from 130 to 95. My grades fell and so did everything else. Including me. One night at a sorority party and I collapsed once again. This time I broke my femur due to lack of calcium and malnutrition. Once again I had a nice long stay in the hospital. I saw doctors and nutritionists that helped me through. I am not saying that I am completely cured because it is hard sometimes, but you just have to decide that you are going to take control of your life in a different way. Unfortunately now I am 5'5" and 220 since having a baby. It is very hard for me not to revert back to my anorexic days.
ATKINS2727
ATKINS2727
United Kingdom
2004/07/15, 08:41 AM
Thank you to all of you that replied. It's nice to know that people are willing to take the time to respond to others problems.

A particular thanks to Null. Your situation has so many similarities to my sisters its uncanny. Her problem is also control related & altho she'd never admit it I know she strives for perfection in every aspect of her life & this has a knock on effect with the bullemia.

Thanks very much for your kind words, keep upi your good work too!!

:love:
tampa_love
tampa_love
United States
2004/07/29, 02:52 PM
I was bulimic for 12 years and did the whole inpatient treatment thing, counseling, etc. You really can't be forced to get better, everyone has their own timeline. I started really getting better when I began to do things that made me feel good about myself. Everyone had this idea that I couldn't move on with my life until I was better, but moving on is what made me better. I went back to college, started making jewelry, got rid of "friends" that really weren't, and other things that improved the quality of my life. The better I made my life, the better my behavior was. Did I do it perfectly...NO...and I stopped beating myself up about it knowing that I could start over again anytime I wanted. In time, bulimia became the background in my life, then it eventually became a closed chapter. Do I still struggle? Yep. Is my life run by food and toilets...nope. She'll be okay...if she can at least maintain her potassium levels and other essentials in order to live that is a good first step. It's about feeling like you deserve to have what's good in life. I say Fake it til you make it...it worked for me. Good Luck!:love:

============
Quoting from atkins2727:

Thank you to all of you that replied. It's nice to know that people are willing to take the time to respond to others problems.

A particular thanks to Null. Your situation has so many similarities to my sisters its uncanny. Her problem is also control related & altho she'd never admit it I know she strives for perfection in every aspect of her life & this has a knock on effect with the bullemia.

Thanks very much for your kind words, keep upi your good work too!!

:love:

=============

--------------
Smile, it confuses people.
Nicyla
Nicyla
United States
2004/08/29, 04:46 PM
Hey,
I am sorry to hear that someone close to you is struggling with bulimia. I've gone through vicious cycles of eating disorders and they are awful things to deal with. I wish I could offer advice, but truth is, I haven't ever even bothered to help myself. I've never wanted to get better MORE than I need the control. So all I can say is that it's a decision that has to be made by oneself. Hope I could help. If you ever need to talk, let me know.
neverAprincess
neverAprincess
United States
2005/04/04, 05:49 PM
I am also sorry to hear that someone you care deeply for is suffering so much. But i also can't help, because, as said above, I haven't even taken the steps to help myself. Honestly I don't want to, but I know it could kill me...yet I'm still to scared to do anything. I can only tell this to complete and faceless strangers because I'm too frightened to tell the people that actually care about me. My mom and my b/f. I feel so lost now, and I have to say, I'm on anti depressants and, I'm still...this way..even if all i eat is salad I feel so fat and purge. It's painful and confusing. I hope, though, that your sister finds her way.

All my love:love:,
Ashley.
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/07/05, 12:18 PM
BUMP