Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

baseball workout (LONG)

mallard3
mallard3
United States
2004/06/18, 08:41 AM
I have had multiple emails asking me what I have done on and off the field, when I pitched in the minor league. If you want a word copy to print out just reply with your email address and I can send it to you. Good Luck!

Off Season--- (on the field)

Eat a big (healthy) breakfast (eggs, fruits, veggies) Watch out for breads and heavy starches.

Start out with a mile jog (for the first two weeks, and then build up to 3-4 miles there after). Without stamina, you will never make it in any sport. You will just be an average player. I was told in the minors, the difference between average and good players is conditioning through running. When you can last longer than your opponent you already have him beat.

After the run stretch all areas of the body. Concentrate on hamstrings, groin, back, neck, shoulders, forearm, and elbow. There are many different stretches you can do. Pick some to where you feel the most benefit. (Remember, there are different roads that all lead to the same place) So never let people tell YOU that YOU are stretching YOUR body wrong.

Start out with short toss, maybe 20 feet apart from your partner on both knees. Concentrate on the stretch of your back. DO NOT try to launch the ball. That is not its purpose. Next, go to one knee. If you’re right handed, then your right knee will be on the ground. Here is where you can put a little heat on the ball. Not a whole lot though. This is best for pitchers as well as the fielders to concentrate on the proper release point. Really over emphasize following through with your throwing arm, and getting the proper rotation of your chest, and rotate your chest pretty hard to maximize stretching it out.

Next back up to around 50 ft. or (about half the base path since I don’t know how old you are). Stand up, and start throwing about 50% of your max, and continue for about 15-20 throws. Concentrate on the release point and following through, while assign a little speed to the ball.

Now expand out to the full length of 2nd base to 3rd base and start throwing about 75% and by this point you should be stretched out, so you can concentrate on accuracy, while adding a little pop to the ball. Do this for about 15-20 throws and now you can throw 100% for about 10-15 throws.

Next back up and play long toss. Gradually working your way up to around 225 ft. DO NOT do this until about the third week of training, due to lack of arm strength, and this could cause injury if overdone. There should only be around 10 balls thrown at 225 ft. AFTER WEEK 2. This should only be done about 2-3 times per week in a 7-day week, not just the weekdays.

IF you’re a fielder, you can then move it in for some “popcorn”. This is where you stand about 10-15 feet away from your partner and throw the ball back and forth as fast as possible. NOT speed wise, but concentrate on catching and getting the ball out of your glove quickly. Have real quick feet and make it a thing of beauty to watch. There is nothing more intimidating than watching people that have sound mechanics, get it on. This drill will dramatically improve your fielding skills. It sounds elementary, but is used by most pros.

This will get you primed for the game, and have you fully stretched. As for the batting, that is nothing more than watching the ball, and driving your hands through the ball and following through. Takes a lot of batting practice to be good. Read about gym time in the second page.

In the gym, in the off-season should be the time to lift heavy, and try to bulk up a little. After lifting stretching is key, to baseball. It is hard to throw a baseball when your arm is stiff, so imagine if your whole body is stiff. I like to do squats about 2 times per week, and I personally liked doing my reps like this 10-6-4-2. By the time you get to 2 reps you should have major problems getting them all in.

I ALWAYS stay away from the bench press. It is horrible on a ball players elbows. I like to lay on a bench and do butterfly’s or chest extensions (the weight is up to you) Don’t do so much you mess up your chest. Do 10 reps, and then get real lite dumbbells and do a dumbbell bench press.

Next I like to work the forearms out by getting the bench press bar, and curling it, sitting on the bench with the wrists slightly hanging over the bench. Use as much weight as you can to accomplish 15 reps for 3-4 sets. This will improve bat speed as well as improve all aspects of throwing.

Do crunches to work on the abs.

I always did preacher raises (reverse sit-up) holding a weight to work out the back. This has to be done with caution to prevent injury to the lower back.

In Season----

During the season lay back on the weights. Do lite weight and more reps to keep the tone you have gained. During the season lifting can get you hurt without proper stretching. Injuries happen a lot to people that go out and try to play a game while they are stiff. So my mains advise besides throwing is hit the weights hard in the off-season, stretch, and RUN, RUN, RUN. As for throwing you need to keep on it as stated above. If your not an out fielder then you can almost eliminate the need for long-toss. If you’re a pitcher you need to be running about 4-5 miles, 2-3 times per week. No matter where you are the pitchers are the most physically sound athletes on the field. The run until they can’t run anymore. Some may not look like it, but they are all in tip-top shape.