Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Considering a new career path...Comments

goldengloves
goldengloves
United States
2004/05/10, 11:39 AM
Im a freshman in college studying psychiatry and I kind of had a rude awakening.....Telling me I dont want to do this and follow my dream. Im considering taking a course in sports management and get certified as a sports agent.....Anyone know anything about this field and would it be wise to take? My heart is in business and I am pretty knowledgeable on certain things (awesome skills) and I would like to do that but business is to shady and risky so I figured I would go w/ my 2nd choice and be happy w/ the job security and everything.....But I love the aspect of that type of job....Anyone wish to fill me in on anything?
2004/05/10, 12:01 PM
Becoming a sports agent is very, very difficult. You will be competing with a slew of lawyers (maybe even me :big_smile:) and sports admin people looking to make it. Establishing yourself is extremely difficult since it requires a player to go out on a limb and put their trust in someone with little experience (unless they work at IDG or something). If you do well for one player, however, word of mouth spreads and others begin signing on. On a different note, you should always do what you love first, because that is what you will be best at. Sports managment is great, but is also a field where many people with such degrees end up doing something else due to lack of opportunities. Business is a very diverse field, so if you really like that I think it's worth a shot. Regardless, whether you want to do sports management or business, you have to do something you enjoy, and the rest will fall into place. OU has a good sports management program, but many of the people working in pro sports offices say your education doesn't mean a thing compared to your connections and networking. Don't be discouraged though.....hard work will get you everywhere. Good luck!
goldengloves
goldengloves
United States
2004/05/10, 02:00 PM
mzakal-Glad you replied I knew their was someone on here who would be a help.

Yeah basically it seems while it looks better on paper saying you have a degree in this and that the only thing that matters if your clients.....I've thought about this for a long time not only would I like to be an agent but I would also like to be a promoter as well within sports (or entertainment if I had to).....What sparked my interest most recently was that I have been training in a boxing gym and their are some amateur boxers who want to turn pro (boom) their is my opportunity to try it out and see if I like it.....Getting involved in team sports as an agent such as football/baseball/basketball and so on would be very competitive but when you deal with a sport that involves one person much more easier to deal with....Im not sure...I think I will give it a try because thats the only way I will be able to find out....But Lawyers suck!....I might need to come to you to write a contract some day haha.