Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Courage

cobra93
cobra93
United States
2004/02/20, 12:13 AM
I just wanted to say how pleased I am that this section has been added. It takes a lot of courage for a person to admit to having an eating disorder.....especially when you know that you are revealing such a vulnerable part of yourself. I would like to commend all of those who have the courage to take the first step and acknowledge their disorders. Again, it takes a lot of courage to take the steps toward recovery. Good luck and best wishes to all who need it! :love:

Oh, and for anyone who is looking for some "self-help" type literature on anorexia and/or bulimia check out The Deadly Diet by Terence J. Sandbek, PhD
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/02/20, 11:46 AM
This truly is an excellent addition to the FT community. God knows everyone tries to help out everyone anyway they can and this forum will certainly give support and encouragement to anyone who needs it. Sometimes people help out so much that when someone puts up a new post that i know i can truly help with, it already has practically 3 or 4 replies and i just think "well wouldnt i just sound redundant..." which is an awesome and rare thing to have.
cobra93
cobra93
United States
2004/02/25, 01:18 AM
Here's a great link for eating disorders:
http://www.somethingfishy.org
They have a great message board and all of the people there know exactly what someone with an eating disorder is going through. There is a ton of support and you never have to worry that someone is going to judge you. Having battled bulimia for nearly 8 years, I understand the pain that someone with an eating disorder deals with on a daily basis. :( Luckily, I have wonderful therapist who has helped me immensely, and my life is a thousand times better! -- It feels like such a huge burden is being lifted once you can share such a vulnerable part of yourself with someone else. --Anyway, I just wanted to share. :love: If anyone needs a shoulder, feel free to send me a message. :love:
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2004/02/25, 09:17 AM
Cobra, it took a lot of guts for you to post so thank you for breaking the ice. I've been looking at this board every day hoping someone else would be the first so I appreciate your honesty.

I hate to post this here because it makes me sound really crazy but I have a mood disorder which is really a two headed monster, I also have body dysmorphic disorder. I also have a great therapist and psychiatrist and take Lamictal for my mood disorder, which is a mood stabilizer. I found when I got that under control the BDD naturally followed. But BDD is very similar to an eating disorder. Anyone who has been through or is going through this I do understand and would be happy to talk w/ you privately, although I do feel a little scared to post this here. But I felt like the more of us post here the more comfortable it will get.

Anyway, thanks again Cobra and I also have a book to recommend; it is called The Broken Mirror, Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder.

I hate all these "disorder" words. :(
cobra93
cobra93
United States
2004/02/25, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jessica! Funny, that's my name too :) You don't sound crazy at all! I'll definitely check out that book, I'm always looking for new info. It seems that a lot of the time, BDD and other "disorders" go hand in hand. I'm so glad you posted! I understand about not wanting to post publicly, it's tough. To be honest I didn't want to do it either. I just thought maybe it would encourgae others to be more open, I'm so glad I'm not the only one putting myself out there! Thanks again Jess!!! :love:
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2004/02/25, 03:50 PM
Whew, thanks. LOL Right now I think I'm the sanest person in my family. :surprised:

It has always been really hard for me to talk about this; it's much easier for me to talk about the mood disorder. I think because I've always thought of eating disorders as a teenage problem and it really disturbed me that it was getting *worse*, not better, the older I got.

Anyway, like JDelts said fitness and eating disorders unfortunately go hand in hand. It's nice, now, to be into fitness for my health. Still I feel like I need to be cautious and not overdo it.
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/26, 06:22 PM
I dont quite know what BDD is, but i know that even when my mood is in check sometimes...i still cant put food in my mouth. And when im depressed, i cant even think about food...i end up sleeping so much. Its something that i struggle with quite often. You dont hear about as many guys with eating disorders (and im not trying to stereotype or be rude by any means), but i sure as hell know that when my emotions start on a rollercoaster, i cant eat. Period. :-/