Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

I need help loosing the weight ...

Rafal1523
Rafal1523
Canada
2003/09/24, 10:35 PM
Okay let's give u a little summary of me. I am 16 years old, just started Grade 11 and I worked out for the whole year last year but I was very unhappy with the results. I gained strength and i was extremely strong for my age, people would just gather around me with amazement on how much weight I was doing everywhere. But the problem was .. the fat didnt go away ... I weighted 170 ( 5'9 ) when i went in to the weightroom and came out 190 extra pounds of muscle. What I wanna do is turn the fat in to muscle and not add muscle on top of the fat. This year i started the same and i can see that im not gonna get where i want to get if I continue this exercixe. Over the summer i gained weight and now im 200LBS ... 190 of it is fat now and i hate it. I remember 2 summers b4 that i weighted 180lbs and over the summer i lost 30lbs just by dieting. Now i want to do specifuc exercises that will make me loose the weight and make it look like i have muscles. My friend who went working out with me is very skinny and his muscles look awsome but me NOTHING. Last year i worked out 4 days a week, i started the same now ( intermedia level) but i belive it wont do wat i want.

Do u guys belive i should start a 3 day a week program. I think i could go to the gym 5 days a week. MONDAY: Work on a certain muscle group, TUESDAY: Cardio for half an hour as a start, WEDNESDAY: Work on muscles, THURSDAY: Cardio for half an hour, FRIDAY: Work on muscles ....... plus im doing the FT ABS program which is now on Wednesday and Saturday. I am also planning on not eating after 6PM, only drinking. Breakfast Cereal, Lunch(sandwiches), Dinner (small snack after) and thats it.

I would really love to get some professional opinions on this. Please i really want to loose this weight1
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/25, 07:37 PM
First, congratulations on wanting to have a fit and healthy body. Secondly, relax! At 16, you may still have a height growth spurt coming up.
Cardio and proper nutrition are the key. Having muscle on your frame speeds up your metabolism and helps to burn off that extra fat. You need to plan for 5-6 small meals every day. This will help to regulate your insulin levels and help your metabolism. Watch out for breakfast cereal- most are loaded with empty carbs, sodium, and refined sugars. Try natural oatmeal and toss some cinnamon in it. If you work out in the evening, you may need to eat after 6. If you don't eat again until breakfast, that's at least 12 hours for your body to be without fuel: not a good approach for someone wanting to be leaner. Choose your carbs wisely: Brown rice, beans, sweet potatoes, whole grain bread ect. Make sure your protein comes from good sources (tuna, chicken breast, egg whites, very very lean beef, whey ect.) and that you are getting enough.
As for your workout, I'd recommend moving to a split routine (see the ft programs for ideas). Under a split, you'd lift for a few specific groups 5 days a week, and because you have time left over, you can get in your cardio 4-5 times per week. Twice a week simply isn't going to get you to your goals.
This is a pretty long response, but you had a long question. I was overweight as a teen, I understand your frustration. Good luck.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/25, 07:38 PM
p.s.-Fat cannot be turned to muscle. They are two completely different types of tissue. You can, however lose fat and increase muscle through diet and exercise.
Rafal1523
Rafal1523
Canada
2003/09/25, 08:07 PM
Hey thanks for ur response. Well i work out after school which is around 3PM so I always eat after so I have the fuel your talking about. Now i think what ur saying is I should do more cardio and 2 is not enough ... I think I cant do that without a problem but I'm worried about is what kind of work out should I do ... last year i gained strenght but not muscle. Should i continue going 4 times a week or go 3 times a week, I keep wondering which one would be better.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/09/26, 12:25 PM
Look at the programs available here on ft. There are options including fat loss and toning, which sounds about what you are looking for. I'll see what I can come up with and get back to you.