Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Flat Bench

2003/06/23, 10:38 AM
I've recently switched my program up a little, and now include flat barbell bench in my chest workout. I've been doing mostly dumbell exercises for chest the past couple of months, and have gotten stronger than ever. When I benched with the barbell last week, however, I couldn't even do as much as I could two years ago. Will my bench come back rapidly, or is it going to take a while to get used to it again?

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/23, 12:07 PM
That my friend is the way the muscles grow. It is a new way in working the muscle. It will come in time. Although the true quickness depends soley on the amount of work you put in. {Its kind of hard to tell you relatively how long when you dont specify numbers for instance two years ago I benched 350 for 5 and now I bench 295 for 3 after a dumbell concentration routine.)-see what i mean.

--------------
Contrary to popular belief, bouncing the weight does NOT work the muscle...huh...who\'d a thunk it. ~Dick
2003/06/23, 01:58 PM
Specifically, two years ago I would put on 235 for my set of 8, and then go up accordingly for my lower rep sets. A few days ago, I put on 225, barely squeeked out 10 reps, and then only got 7 with same weight on the next set. It's frustrating because I now do about 40% heavier weight on dumbells than I did back then, and I suppose I expected that to translate into progress on the barbell bench too.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
RaskalSbp
RaskalSbp
United States
2003/06/23, 02:59 PM
I love the flat bench. I always train flat incline, decline, and only use dumbells for flies.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/23, 11:03 PM
You are not that far off...with a good spot and excellent effort you could do 235x8 now. You are only a few weeks off at the most.

--------------
Contrary to popular belief, bouncing the weight does NOT work the muscle...huh...who\'d a thunk it. ~Dick