Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

I'm a 14 boy can I train(gain mass)?

smasch
smasch
Canada
2003/06/21, 03:07 PM
Hi, I'm training to gain mass, to have more muscle. Does this OK or you think i'm to young? I think that the sooner I train the best it is.But want YOU think? Thanks of answer me!

--------------
~~SMASCH~~
\"The sooner we start, the best it is\"
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/06/21, 03:24 PM
If you train with weights at your age, make sure you are under constatnt supervision by somebody who at least has a clue on how to workout. You are definately not to young to begin a weight training program.
smasch
smasch
Canada
2003/06/21, 03:52 PM

Thanks!!!
============
Quoting from dahayz:

If you train with weights at your age, make sure you are under constatnt supervision by somebody who at least has a clue on how to workout. You are definately not to young to begin a weight training program.
=============

--------------
~~SMASCH~~
\"The sooner we start, the best it is\"
NiZ13
NiZ13
United States
2003/06/29, 12:28 PM
Today Im 18 and have post poned lifting weights for the last 2 years because of my fear of stunning my growth. I started at 17ish with free weights and held back on deadlifts and heavy multy joint exercises till recently. Now im 6' flat and feel that Im ready to do everything. What I do recommend is that you do cardio, its required in the future and you dont have to hold it off till your old enough. But 14 is too young for heavy weights.
CSide
CSide
United States
2003/06/30, 03:29 PM
im 16 and started when i was about 15 1/2........im 5'8"..im kinda a small person......dont think i stunted my growth though
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/30, 04:23 PM

============
Quoting from NiZ13:

Today Im 18 and have post poned lifting weights for the last 2 years because of my fear of stunning my growth. I started at 17ish with free weights and held back on deadlifts and heavy multy joint exercises till recently. Now im 6' flat and feel that Im ready to do everything. What I do recommend is that you do cardio, its required in the future and you dont have to hold it off till your old enough. But 14 is too young for heavy weights.
=============
That stunting your growth is a bunch of hog wash...I bet your were never much of a player for your football team...So let me get it right you are saying that every highschool football player shouldn't lift heavy or train multiple joint lifts explosively. Right...then you're going to start telling me that highschool is to young to play football?!?! Those two go hand and hand buddy. If you knock weight trainging for highschool athletes then youre sayin that most of the football players at the highschool level have experienced stunted growth. Shhhhh....I don't want to hear it anymore. If you are in highschool you are more than old enough to start lifting weights, heavy weights.

--------------
Diet- Only take what you need...There is no fine line between want and need, there is the whole continent of South America.~Dick
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/30, 04:29 PM
BTW- Mrs. NiZ13. Most of the players on our 4A state qualifying football team were above 6'1'' 45%, another 45% were above 5'9'', the rest of the 5% were below 5'9''. They all started lifting weights at the ripe old age of 13, 14 and not one experienced stunted growth. They were all lifting heavy compounded movements when they were young. 2-3 of our players have gone to play at Division I colleges on FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIPS, each was abouve 6'1". Dont give me that bs, about stunted growth all you did was delay what you could be doing, and wasting your precious time jakin off.

--------------
Diet- Only take what you need...There is no fine line between want and need, there is the whole continent of South America.~Dick
timbaland
timbaland
United States
2003/06/30, 06:58 PM
Yeah you're not too young to lift weights. dahayz gave some good advice. I would start by getting good solid form down before you start using weights (i.e. for bench press just lift the bar) I doubt weight training will stunt your growth but the first thing I would do is build a solid base for your your body, sets of around 10 repetitions for the muscles you train. Good luck.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/30, 11:33 PM
Bad form will stunt anyones growth. Just because kids are little doesn't mean that if taught form they will have stunted growth.

--------------
2003/07/01, 09:01 AM

============
Quoting from richardjst:

bet your were never much of a player for your football team

=============

With the highly disparate levels of talent on the high school level (even on good teams), weight training is still not a necessity for everyone. I played with guys who are in the NFL now who never touched a weight in high school. So you never know....NiZ13 could have been the man for his team.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/07/01, 11:05 PM
Maybe??!!??? You never know, I just know that now a days, every team is realizing that benefits of weight lifting and conditioning lead to wins and championships. The high school level, at least here in Iowa might as well be called pre-college. Teams in my league have 3a days, practice on saturdays, with Friday games. And the weight training regimns are outrageous and imposed at early ages. I have spoken to players about 5-10 that went to different Division II colleges and don't practice as hard as in highschool. The Division I claim that only intensity and mind change, training is much similar. High School football, is almost getting out of hand here in the farmers heaven.

--------------
skinnyrobin
skinnyrobin
Germany
2003/07/05, 08:03 AM
i think it's wrong to spread that weightlifting doesn't stunt growth. how do u know? there is little proof so far. scientists have been trying to find out for years and they still don't have an answer, simply coz there's no solid proof-otherwise we would have known for sure. in my view, whoever says weightlifting definately does/doesn't stunt growth is narrow-minded in that point. we just don't have the knowledge yet to know for sure. just my 2 cents...
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/07/05, 03:55 PM

============
Quoting from skinnyrobin:

there is little proof so far. =============

My point exactly...it is scared people who are afraid to try something new....well, for the part about the proof...for me there is enough proof looking way back into history when farm kids did alot of lifting and working on 3 meals a day, if you can call them meals and became stronger and leaner then many of the individuals today...it is for that reason that America is getting fatter we are not teaching kids the benefit of exercise...let alone lifting. So I guess 100 and 100's of years of proof isn't enough...well for me that's plenty.

--------------
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/07/05, 05:13 PM
wow, I don't know how that happened, but I posted that.
timbaland
timbaland
United States
2003/07/05, 07:24 PM
Yeah skinny robin you're right. Nothing has been proven yet and there is no answer to this question at this time. I don't think this can be proven either as everybody's different. I've seen families with full grown kids of various height, one guy being 6'3" and the other only 5'6". The only way to test if weight lifting is stunting your growth is to go to a doctor and get X-rays (constantly if you're lifting while you're still growing) and as everyone knows X-rays aren't good for you. Some guys I know got X-rayed to make sure they stopped growing before they started lifting weights.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/07/05, 11:01 PM
Just cause your fathers 6'5, it doesnt matter...when that sperm hits the egg you could be predetermined to be 5' flat.
The best possible answer that I can come up for this to soothe both sides is that...There has been no significant SCIENTIFIC proof on either side other than that
pro-kids have been lifting and working out for centuries unscathed by it and
con- kids getting hurt and screwing up growth plates by using BAD UNTAUGHT FORM and going way to heavy
If you are going to lift before your growth plates harden learn about the sport, lift with an adult, don't go so heavy that you are performing reps that put you out of your comfort zone and safety zone form wise. Good lifting will more than likely not hurt you if you do it correctly. Correctly being the key word and factor in this whole thread.

--------------
brolic86
brolic86
United States
2003/07/06, 05:46 PM
well hey ima be 18 in a few months and started weight lifting around 14-15 years old and i only reached 5'6 so im short. im a twin brother and i was talller than him till i messed with weights. so yes starting early does stunt ya growth but i would reccomend 14 year old in that age group not 2 start heay. well not too heavy. but i know from experience so u can do wat u feel u know
brolic86
brolic86
United States
2003/07/06, 05:48 PM
and by the way i ahvent grown i think ive been the same height for a year
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/07/07, 07:13 AM
The only thing that determines how tall you are are your freakin genetics, not lifting damn weights. People are so damn ignorant to this subject, and where do they get there info from? Hell if I know, the media, and Arnold (who would be the last person to get advice from). There are #'s of studies that document how safe weight training is for kids as young as 7, I posted some of those studies above. People need to educate themselves and not believe everything that is said, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the health and fitness field. It's unfortunate how much garbage there is out there.
perfectcell50
perfectcell50
United States
2004/05/03, 08:05 PM
Weight lifting doesn´t neccesarily stunts your growth.
Lots of my friends began at early 13´s and the are now between 15 - 17 and they have between 5´10 to 6´5 , so...thats a lotta crap.
Im 14 and 5´8 and im sure im gonna keep growin because when i was 13 i was simply 5´4 and 4 inches in a year...its not that bad.....
so hey, keep at it, weights wont stunt your growth!
ioioio
ioioio
Kuwait
2004/05/06, 07:38 AM
Look perfectcell50 that post is about a year old, nobody will reply!!:dumbbell::)
febreze
febreze
United Kingdom
2005/05/06, 05:33 PM
ur right dahayz even 7 year olds can lift weights. Theres a world record for strongest 7 yr old or somethin...he can lift twice his bodyweight or somethin like that..
febreze
febreze
United Kingdom
2005/05/06, 05:34 PM
yes i realize im late too..but hell...maybe my info will help someone who reads this post in the future
pbloc
pbloc
Thailand
2005/07/20, 10:10 AM
im 14 and 5'2 and 47kg ive lifted since 12 will dis stunt ma growth??
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2005/07/20, 11:57 AM
scroll up and read.:)

DX
pbloc
pbloc
Thailand
2005/07/20, 01:06 PM
wpw thanx 4 da advise
younggenius
younggenius
United States
2005/08/06, 12:01 AM
im 14 and lifted since 6th grade now in 9th im still growin!