Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Training for Rugby

Shotty
Shotty
United States
2003/06/18, 01:57 PM
I've been playing rugby in the Northwest U.S. for a couple years and find it a very odd sport to train for. Obviously you need the power and speed (in some cases size)of a football program, but endurance like a soccer player. It seems like I can get powerful in squats, but then sacrifice much of it with lengthy sprint and endurance running when nearing the season! It seems to be give and take regimen, Anyone with any experience here?
2003/06/19, 01:42 PM
I started playing rugby a year ago, and I have to admit I still haven't gotten the endurance part down yet. As a former football player, I thought rugby would be an easy transition, but man was I wrong. I try to offset the gain/lose cycle by alternating my lifting and running days, resting a lot, and stretching every day. And I make sure my calorie count is way up to fuel the whole process. If you're a back, you probably know it's worth giving up some mass for speed. Good luck!

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
dschofield
dschofield
United Kingdom
2003/06/20, 03:59 AM
Which code of Rugby do you play, and which position?

Rugby League is usually faster, and requires less power (except though tackles).

Rugby Union is more physical, with more power required (for scrums, etc), also higher jumping could be useful (lineouts).

Attacking positions will normally need to be faster, and defensive players stronger.
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/23, 12:20 PM
I recommend that you to a thing I like to call sycotic training. It involes taking a weight that you can do for ten and forcing yourself to get 20. It may seem difficult at first but this for of trainging is like no other. You can find a full outline and description of this trainging in the book; Super Squats...I believe it was written by randall strossen. I think thats the right name. I tried squating one week on this method i took 185 a number I new squatting ten times was no problem. Did 20 just the same. Next monday I uped the weight to225 for twenty and still was not experiencing the difficulties described in the book. So I took a heavier poundage the 3rd week I did 325 pounds a whole hundred pounds over the week before. I did them in strict fasion,and let me tell you it took me a while. Down and up and 20 kept getting closer and closer. Next week I through on 10lbs did it again. This program will make you crazy strong, make you see stars, oh and make sure that there are a few buckets laying around for when your ready to puke your guts out. I applied this princliple to my other exercises as well and recieved much benefits. It will make you strong while still giving you one hell of an endurance workout. Hope this helps.

--------------
Contrary to popular belief, bouncing the weight does NOT work the muscle...huh...who\'d a thunk it. ~Dick