Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

carbs, how many?

pleyroy
pleyroy
Canada
2003/05/30, 07:02 AM
I'm trying to lose weight (around 15 lbs) and gain muscle. My mom is on the atkins diet, so I decided while most of the foods in my house will be atkins worthy, I might as well use this to my advantage. I'm poor so 95% of what I used to eat was penut butter sandwiches, that has now changed, due to carb value in foods with flour. But I'm still perplexed, I'm not on this atkins diet completely and I have a feeling carbs are an important part of a healthy diet. So roughly how many carbs per day would be adiquate for an active 16 year old looking to gain as much muscle mass as possible and still lose fat?

--------------
My family thinks I'm on steroids... :D
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/05/30, 07:16 AM
As a 16 year old I would NOT recommend going through with an Atkins type program. At your age you need to eat to grow. Not only is food needed for muscle growth, but you need food so your body can grow properly at your age. The only thing I can recommend is to stick with the healthy carbs such as veggies and oats. You will have to experiment with the amount through trial and error to find what works for your body. People who have a firm grasp on nutritional concepts realize that carbs are a very important part of a healthy diet for the active individual. Good luck.
pleyroy
pleyroy
Canada
2003/05/30, 07:20 AM
Thanks! Screw atkins, I'm only 5 10'. :)

--------------
My family thinks I'm on steroids... :D