Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Proportions

Bloop
Bloop
Canada
2003/05/29, 05:03 PM
I believe I read in a fitness site like Men's Health or in a forum here that there's a ratio in how much you lift compared to your other body parts for certain exercies. I think one example is a person should bicep curl and do triceps press in a 1:1 ratio. So if you can bi curl 50 lbs you should be able to tricep press 50 lbs for the same set and reps. Another example is a hamstring curl and quad extenstion have a 2:1 ratio. Does anyone know how much should be lifted in one body part in proportion to the rest of the body like in the examples I mentioned?

I also read or heard that a person should be able to lift more in military press more than bench press for a more proportional strength? Is that true?
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2003/05/29, 07:50 PM
I've never heard of these ratios before. I don't read the ft boards as often as I used to but I somehow doubt it would of been here.. maybe the men's health forum. As far as these go I would have to say that with pretty much any tricep exercise I can get more then any bicep exercise (if its the same machine.. ie: cable tricep pressdown vs cable curls).. but then again i've never seen people make such a comparison for strength. I think I might be close for you leg ratio but I always thought my legs were lacking.. so anyone else that might be able to compare the two lemme know. As far as the military press goes vs bench press.... it seems pretty weird to me. Although there probably are people out there that could military press more then they can bench I don't think i've seen any..

If you found the post where whoever mentioned these ratios or the thing about the military press then could you post a link. I'd like to read it...