Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Grown up at 21? No way

CarbLO
CarbLO
United States
2003/05/08, 05:14 PM
Now that the 21st century is here, forget 21 as the age of majority.
A University of Chicago study indicates most Americans think it takes several more years for one to become an official grown-up.
'There is a large degree of consensus across social groups on the relative importance of seven transitions,' said Tom W. Smith, director of the National Opinion Research Center's General Social Survey. 'The only notable pattern of differences is on views about supporting a family, having a child and getting married.
'Older adults and the widowed and married rate these as more important than younger adults and the never-married do. This probably reflects in large part a shift in values across generations away from traditional family values.'
The survey, released Thursday, found 73 percent considered it extremely important to complete one's education en route to adulthood. Other important milestones cited were gaining full-time employment (61 percent), supporting a family (60 percent), being financially independent (47 percent), living independently of parents (29 percent), being married (19 percent) and having a child (16 percent).

--------------
The old thinking was that fat made us fat
http://www.Maliburep.com
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2003/05/09, 09:24 PM
I have to disagree with the having a child as being an adult. My sisters both had kids at 16 and they were grown-up in anyway. I would have to say that being responsible is what makes you all grown-up. I know a lot of people that aren't full timed employed that I consider very grown up.

--------------
Lisa

Just laugh about it....
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/05/13, 05:57 PM
Yeah, me too. I'm 23 and still immature as ever. I have a little more thought toward consequence, now, by by no means do I consider myself responsible.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/05/14, 07:15 AM
You know, it gets annoying when people post commercials,(like they do in other areas as well) and then leave and never bother to clarify there posts with any type of replies. I mean, whats the point of the post anyway?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/05/14, 07:52 PM
Pehaps if we just ignore these commercials they will go away! Thanks.
And in my opinion whatever this person is trying to sell, I recomend they read the book "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" it might polish thier skills!

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada (aka SpongeBob Square Pants to some!)