Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Baseball

FSUCRACKA
FSUCRACKA
United States
2003/04/23, 10:55 PM
I want to make JV next year as a freshman, but now I hear you have to use a -3 bat. I'm not strong enough for that I dont think. Also I need to develop speed and a better throwing arm. Any help?
2003/04/23, 11:18 PM
fsu,
First of all, I don't think you'll have a problem swinging a -3 bat. If you're using a 31-inch bat, that means its only going to weight 28oz, which isn't even 2lbs. To increase bat speed, build your legs first. Do squats and lunges to improve the power you generate in your hip pivot ("putting out the cigarette"). Also, a strong back is key....do pull-ups, rows etc. Be sure you concentrate on your entire body though.....disproportionate strength in certain areas will lead to lingering injuries.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
CJFit
CJFit
United States
2003/04/23, 11:25 PM
Try doing PNF chops and rotations using a pulley because this will develop tremendous rotational power which is extremely important in the bat swing mechanics used in swinging a bat
oxdp954
oxdp954
United States
2003/04/24, 10:13 AM
Work your abs. They are responcable for a tremendous amount of rotational strenghth, as well as being one of the key's to having good core and trunk strength.
mallard3
mallard3
United States
2003/09/26, 09:06 AM
For the arm lay on the ground with a 5-10 lb weight with your arm at a 90 degree angle pointed upward and concentrate on your shoulder stayinf still and lift the weight from one side of the floor to the other. Also try to keep your elbow on the floor. This will work your shoulder out. Avoid doing real heavy bench press. This can actually cause tendanitis in the elbow. Low weight high reps is sufficient. If you are a pitcher like I am, then after you throw, you need to run more than other teamates. This will help eliminate acid build up in the elbow. Practice a lot of long-toss in the off-season too. Good luck.