Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extensions
- This exercise is performed seated with a short back support. Sitting backwards on a
preacher bench, as shown in the pictures, provides excellent support.
- Hold one dumbbell with both hands straight up above your head. Choose a grip that you
feel most comfortable with. The most common grip is shown in the pictures, with your
hands on the edge of the dumbbell. You can also put your thumbs around the bar of
the dumbbell, keeping your palms on the inner side on the dumbbell. Ultimately, you
want to let the dumbbell hang down like in the pictures.
- Keeping your elbows by your ears and pointing straight in front, lower the dumbbell
until your arms make a 90 degree angle. Keep your elbows as stationary as
- Slowly raise to the starting position, contracting the triceps muscles.
- Focus on keeping your elbows pointed forward when you lower the weight. This will
isolate the triceps muscles.
| Primary muscles
| Secondary muscles