Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

any half-marathoners?

tarab21
tarab21
United States
2007/04/02, 11:46 AM
I'm hoping to talk to somebody who has trained for a half marathon successfully. I just have some general questions about training, timing, nutrition, etc ... and how you dovetailed that training with this program at FT.

Thanks.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/02, 10:30 PM
I did one when I was in high school, right after the wrestling season... I was thinking about doing a full marathon at the time, but had to start training for states and got off track.

I don't go near steady state cardio with a 10 foot pole now, though.

Really, coming out of the wrestling season I was in amazing shape (I always put conditioning first when training, I rarely lost matches that went the full 6 minutes, never in overtime). It was more a matter of getting my body used to the miles and the stress.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/04/04, 09:39 AM
I'm in the 5th week of training for a half marathon myself, I'm running it May 27. I'm keeping up with the training program by Hal Higdon, yet 13 miles seems so far away! I think the hardest for me is eating enough! I am a very very healthy eater, but it seems i cant eat enough to keep up with my running! I'm currently reading Performance Nutrition for Runners by Matt Fitzgerald, and I'm learning alot! I recommend it. let me know how your training goes!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/04/04, 11:31 AM
The biggest thing about keeping up with the half marathon training in combination with the wrokout program here is that you make sure you are getting enough in your diet. Running burns a lot of everything, muscle, fat, etc. Here are a couple of websites below that helped me out a lot when I ran, hope you can find some reference in them. I might even say to change your exercise program up and tailor it towards the ones they have set up at these sites as they include both running and strength training. Good luck and let us know how it progresses for you Tara.

http://www.marathontraining.com/faq/faq_hm.html
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm
http://jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

My preference is the last link listed, it worked really well for me and goes into detail of everything breaks, first things you need to know before even starting training etc.

--------------
Bettia

"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open." - Lord Thomas Dewar
tarab21
tarab21
United States
2007/04/04, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys. I'm actually using Hal Higdon's training schedule right now too, lindsay. I'm on the third week and my half-marthon is mid-June.

Yeah, I guess diet is super important, isn't it? Right now I have gross love handles and I really don't feel like eating as much as I probably should -- but I'll make myself.

I usually eat some peaches and yogurt pre-run, then some eggs and tomatoes post-run. Is that reasonable?

Thanks for the info.

Tara
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/04/04, 02:39 PM
add some cottage cheese into the mix and as much protein as possible. For running like this, healthy carbs aren't bad to add as well, veggies, some pasta, rice, potatoes, yams, etc...

--------------
Bettia

Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/04/05, 08:20 AM
Yes, now i dont feel as guilty eating pasta and rice because I know my body needs it. I also drink about 2 protien shakes a day, lots of yougart, egg whites, veggies and chicken. I would also start experimenting with energy gels for your long runs, ex: hammer gel, gu. Are you doing your training on a treadmill or outside? (not sure where you live, i live in Buffalo, and theres snow on the ground and verrrrry cold)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/04/05, 10:55 AM
You'll want to mix up your training on different terrain, if you are using a treadmill don't depend solely on that, it is very different then pavement. Like Lindsay said, not sure of your location but if you can mix it up, pavement, soft ground and treadmill will work wonders.

--------------
Bettia

tarab21
tarab21
United States
2007/04/05, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I keep reading (especially from Hal Hidon and Jeff Galloways' websites) that carbs are VERY important. Ravenbeauty -- great point on running on different terrains. I live in South Dakota and the weather is just beginning to warm up a bit, but in the past I've been doing the treadmill. Luckily, there is an awesome facility in my hometown with an indoor track which I can use while I wait for weather to cooperate.

Lindsay, my diet looks pretty similar to yours, but I tend to not eat much pasta and rice -- I'd rather eat fruits and veggies for carbs. But I've read that those types of carbs do not energize as long. So I should adjust. I hope you'll continue to correspond with me, Lindsay, I could use your comradery. Have you done races before?

Thanks,

Tara
Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/04/05, 01:29 PM
Yes, Ive done races before, but this will be my first attempt at a half marathon. I'm excited for it, although this morning i woke up and there was snow on the ground, ugh.
Eat pasta and rice for your carbs, you will feel better and more energized! Take advantage of it while you can, and eat all you want really! You wont gain weight, cus youll be running so much. Remember to include healthy fats and tons of protien as well.
I just looked at your profile too, and saw that your ultimate goal is 10% body fat. That is very unrealistic, and very unhealthy. If you want to be a successful marathon runner, you will never see 10% body fat, i think the 17% you're at is great and should be maintained!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/05, 07:32 PM
============
Quoting from lindsay22:

(not sure where you live, i live in Buffalo, and theres snow on the ground and verrrrry cold)
=============

Yup, with more snow to come this weekend. Who's excited?!
tarab21
tarab21
United States
2007/04/06, 01:58 PM
snow is not cool. haha. I'm a summertime girl.

Okay, rice and pasta -- Here I come. My profile is a bit outdated. I changed a few things when I recently re-joined FT -- but that 10% goal is from about 3 years ago when I first joined, and quite frankly, I was pretty stupid. 17% is good though, huh? Sweet.

Thanks Lindsay ... continued luck on your progress. Stay in touch.
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/04/06, 04:49 PM
Ran the Paris half-marathon in '05. Two of my co-workers decided to do it. Only we found out after we had registered that it was a month earlier than the full marathon and had only 6 weeks to prepare.

I can't emphasize enough that slow steady preparation is far safer than ramping up in a short period of time. Just like lifting, it is importing to challenge yourself but also allow time for recovery. Better to have three varying distances to shake it up.