Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

low compression tennis balls

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/03, 12:15 AM
LOW COMPRESSION TENNIS BALLS AND SKILL DEVELOPMENT

John Hammond1 and Christina Smith2

1School of Education, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW, Australia.
2Department of Exercise Science & Sport Management, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW, Australia.

Published 15 December 2006

© Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (2006) 5, 575 - 581

ABSTRACT
Coaching aims to improve player performance and coaches have a number of coaching methods and strategies they use to enhance this process. If new methods and ideas can be determined to improve player performance they will change coaching practices and processes. This study investigated the effects of using low compression balls (LCBs) during coaching sessions with beginning tennis players. In order to assess the effectiveness of LCBs on skill learning the study employed a quasi-experimental design supported by qualitative and descriptive data. Beginner tennis players took part in coaching sessions, one group using the LCBs while the other group used standard tennis balls. Both groups were administered a skills at the beginning of a series of coaching sessions and again at the end. A statistical investigation of the difference between pre and post-test results was carried out to determine the effect of LCBs on skill learning. Additional qualitative data was obtained through interviews, video capture and the use of performance analysis of typical coaching sessions for each group. The skill test results indicated no difference in skill learning when comparing beginners using the LCBs to those using the standard balls. Coaches reported that the LCBs appeared to have a positive effect on technique development, including aspects of technique that are related to improving power of the shot. Additional benefits were that rallies went on longer and more opportunity for positive reinforcement. In order to provide a more conclusive answer to the effects of LCBs on skill learning and technique development recommendations for future research were established including a more controlled experimental environment and larger sample sizes across a longer period of time.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/03, 12:19 AM
Yes, I have nothing better to do late on a Friday than read medline.

They used tennis balls that weren't fully inflated, along with regular balls, and compared them to those that were using the fully inflated tennis balls.

Skill sets were almost identical if you read the full study.

This is something that became popular a few years ago with the popularization of "functional" training.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/02/03, 09:42 AM
ok wrestler..this one went wayyyyy over my head..hehehehe

and are these tests where our tax dollars go?!? :p

i enjoy your posts tho...just ending on a silly note is all :)
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2007/02/03, 04:24 PM
i like this post wrestler, i am on the tennis team at my highschool. i should tell my coach about this.

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar