Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Everybody wants advice/ Nobody takes it

jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/01/09, 01:13 AM
I have done alot of research preparing for this undertaking of changing my life and have found every "rookie" I meet starting this journey ask the same questions over and over again, mostly with the same response, but never listen/nor like the answer:

1. Anyone know a fast/easy way to lose weight?
2. ANyone recommend a supplement for weight loss?
3. Anyone know how to get rid of the fat around (insert body part here)?

I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE!!! I asked the same "obvious" questions when I started. I spend alot of time in chat (just because i can at work) and reading the boards...and everyone of these questions have post and answers....I thought I would make a post where everyone could put their knowledge here for the "obvious beginner questions" NOT DEBATES JUST SUGGESTIONS!

Here's my 2 cents of the 3 questions that drive me bonkers PLAIN AND SIMPLE

1. Anyone know a fast/easy way to lose weight?
NO IF IT WAS EASY WE WOULD ALL BE SKINNY!
2. ANyone recommend a supplement for weight loss?
IF THERE WAS A MAGIC PILL WE WOULD ALL BE SKINNY!
3. Anyone know how to get rid of the fat around (insert body part here)?
WORKOUT WORKOUT WORKOUT THERE IS NO WAY TO SPOT REDUCE ANYTHING(that answer is from hours of debate)
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/09, 01:27 AM
Somethings have to be heard over and over again and hopefully a seed gets planted and 1 day that seed blossoms and you actually start to apply what you have been told.

My Parents told me for years booze and drugs where bad for you and it didn't stop me!

My Great Grandmother and Cousin taught me for years about nutrition I even remember her taking out a bottle of corn syrup and telling me how bad it is and it will do nothing but get you fat if you abuse it, this was like in 1975 or 76 and it's not until this last year all that came back to me.

Point is sometimes things take along time to process and or it gets stored in your memory until your really ready to let go and let nutrition.

So I don't care how many times I have to hear the same old questions because for me it's a reminder that I need to stay on track and hearing people talk about having to comeback and start all over tell me I can't stop because I don't know if I will come back if I fall short to Burger King living.

If anyone is saying, Hey he sounds like he is a podium of an AA or NA meeting well for me it's the same principles that apply to my health as to my recovery.

:surprised: Holy Crap where did all that come from!
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/09, 01:38 AM
My favorite question I get asked is: Do you work-out?

It's like "No, I've always looked this good naturally!" :big_smile:

--------------
Either You Worked Out Today or You Didn\'t
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/01/09, 01:49 AM
And no matter how much it drives us bonkers, it will never go away...

--------------
Bettia

To be motivated, motivate others!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/01/09, 08:16 AM
Great post, Jay. I feel like a broken record sometimes giving people advice. As annoying as it is, I still do it because I want people to set and attain their goals.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/01/09, 08:40 AM
Abs. Abs, abs, abs. There are so many posts on this subject a Fit Buddy search might crash the system.

Good post Jay.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/01/09, 09:24 AM
Jaytori, all the advice comes with a money back guarentee ....if ya know what I mean!!

I don't know about magic pills, but researching I was suprised to see that under supplements it recommended Hydroxcut on this site. Glad to know not all the fat-loss products are crap!!

Hang in there Jay, I feel some of your aggravation as I started trying to learn and having to read the same answers to the same questions. But, after awhile, you learn who knows what they are talking about and start looking for their responses!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/09, 10:27 AM
Jay, I'm glad you've stuck around.

Whenever someone asks a question anymore, I don't bother typing. I just send them a link to one of the stickies that answers their question.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/09, 03:07 PM
Sounds like someone has been 'listening'. Good for you Jay.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/01/09, 03:21 PM
thanks guys I'm trying i will be updating my progress with frenchfry in obesity
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/01/09, 08:03 PM
omg~...they are?..sigh..its been my problem all this time..lol

but seriously..i do try and use the fitbuddy first before i ask my questions...or then i just pm somemone and bug them :p

============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

My Parents told me for years booze and drugs where bad for you and it didn't stop me!

christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/01/10, 03:10 AM
wow i must be a one in a million "rookie" cause i took the advice i cant quite remeber who said it maybe KC but they said lifts weights aswell as cardio it wont make you bulky like women assume. i have been and i have noticed a slight change already!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/10, 11:17 AM
Nope, weight lifting will not make you 'bulky'. You must remember, men work very very hard trying to get bulky. They eat for it, rest for it, everything is about it. The main topper is men have much more testosterone than women, so this allows them to gain muscle. Women are higher in estrogen in most cases :), bulky muscles are just not possible without 'supplements'. :)

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."