Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

bench grip

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/06/03, 06:08 PM
For many many years.....prollty since highschool....I have used a suiside grip( no thumb) grip on benching.

I've seen bad vids of guys droping shit loads of weight on their chest....however I have NEVER( knock on wood) even cam close to losing my grip.

I have had soem thumbissues from them being jamed alot with and around cheerleading. Also countless wrist sprains.
With my thumb wraps aroudn it hurts my wrist,and my thumb...I feel in less control...and not being able to press as well.

So aside from safty...any other reason why I should switch to a "normal" grip"

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/06/03, 08:15 PM
Because if you ever want to compete in powerlifting, it is the only legal grip.

Also, from a technical standpoint, it keeps everything in line. The bar is over the wrist which is over the elbows. With a suicide grip, the bar is back because your wrists are cocked.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/06/03, 11:29 PM
I've seen pics of people with suiside grip in powerlifting comps?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/06/04, 01:28 AM
That's it Andrew, I am buying you a spelling CD for practice. :)

--------------
Bettia

You Get What You Train For!
- Unknown
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/06/04, 11:01 AM
To the best of my knowledge, I can't think of any organizations that allow a suicide grip. Although that might have changed since everyone and their dog have started a federation, its generally not accepted.

How many reasons do you need?

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/06/04, 11:05 AM
Also, I can't see how you could possibly squeeze and pull the bar apart without your thumb wrapped around the bar.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2007/06/04, 01:45 PM
I feel you don't use your chest as much and your lift is weaker if you use the suicide grip. It turns your elbows in and shifts the emphasis to the triceps. And obviously your tris are not as powerful a muscle as your chest.
2007/06/04, 03:19 PM
I have used suicide grip for ages before recently and only switched due to wrist pain from a different source. Had been very strong with it and never dropped weight either(knock on wood also..lol)....accidents come from handling too much weight/poor spotters/poor form otherwise....

most powerlifters....esp the geared(ie majority) use triceps more heavily in their bench than chest....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/06/05, 05:14 PM
other day I did my bench wokrout with a thumb grip....it hurts down the side of my wrist on my righthand...right at the thumb wrist "intersection"

TO big J....I prefere a good drive from my tri's when I bench lol

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/06/10, 08:46 PM
I dunno though some feds allow a rev grip bench? thats seems "dangerous" as well?

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/06/10, 09:40 PM

============
Quoting from bigandrew:

I dunno though some feds allow a rev grip bench? thats seems "dangerous" as well?

=============

Not to my knowledge. I believe the late Anthony Clark pressed reverse grip, and after he started DESTROYING records, a lot of lifters switched. Shortly after, it started getting banned.

Michael knew him personally I believe, he might be able to verify/discredit this...

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk