Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

going straight vegetarian

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/26, 07:08 PM
if its cooked does in to kill the bacteria?

My texts books says only in anaimal products as well, just as rev said

--------------
Friends don\'t let friends squat high...

People don\'t reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
2005/08/26, 10:35 PM
"Vitamin B12 is a member of the vitamin B complex. It contains cobalt, and so is also known as cobalamin. It is exclusively synthesised by bacteria and is found primarily in meat, eggs and dairy products. <<<<There has been considerable research into proposed plant sources of vitamin B12. Fermented soya products, seaweeds, and algae such as spirulina have all been suggested as containing significant B12. However, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans and so these foods should not be relied upon as safe sources.>>>>>>>> Many vegan foods are supplemented with B12. Vitamin B12 is necessary for the synthesis of red blood cells, the maintenance of the nervous system, and growth and development in children. Deficiency can cause anaemia. Vitamin B12 neuropathy, involving the degeneration of nerve fibres and irreversible neurological damage, can also occur.

from
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/DietandNutrition/VitaminB12.htm

bottom line for vegetarians the likeliest sources are dairy or 'fortified' products(which are very common nowawdays)...for vegans....fortified sources are about the only reliable means for getting the B12 vitamin(that and multivitamin/B12 supplement)
yooperjim
yooperjim
United States
2005/10/12, 05:48 AM
Free range chickens, steroid, hormone free beef, etc. and so on are a booming business. All are more expensive, and can be hard to find, but it's there if you look for it. As for B12, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but frozen vegetables supposedly lose it. I kept vegetarian lizards for quite some time and they have special salads that I made for them, but had to add brewers yeast tablets if I used frozen veggies. They would end up with B12 deficiencies if it wasn't added.
2005/12/27, 11:31 PM
This is my first post and the first full thread that I read. I went veg about six months ago and wanted some diet advice before getting into weight training. I noted right away that there is no option in the site's diet profile for vegetarian. I am not a vegan; I still eat some cheeses, yogurt, and eggs (fish on occasion if nothing veg is on the menu). I also take a vegetarian multivitamin and a B-complex every day.
Anyway, some of this has been helpful, so thanks to those that have shared their veg experiences or specialized knowledge. I would appreciate any further information on combining proteins, veg amino supplements, etc., that would benefit me.
What I was not looking for was exactly what most of this thread is about: whether veg or omni is "right." So for my two cents (take it or leave it, no matter to me) it is a personal choice. I am looking for helpful advice and no more--I won't preach to you about meat rotting in your colon if you don't tell me why I have incisors. Deal?

--------------
Knowledge itself is power.
shkhawk
shkhawk
United States
2006/09/20, 01:23 AM
i've been a lacto-ovo veggie for 12 yrs. my husband is a 'meat and potatoes' guy. and neither one tells the other that their diet is wrong. i didn't like meat much growing up, but had to eat what was served. so when i became an adult, i converted to being a veggie when i was 19. i didn't do it for moralistic or health reasons. i don't see anything wrong with other people eating meat (i make hamburgers, steak and chicken for hubby), i just can't handle the thought of eating something that once had blood pumping through its veins. makes me gag a bit.

anyway, there are plenty of options out there nowadays that make either diet a good option. i eat all kinds of veggie burgers from morningstar or gardenburger. there are other brands that i can't think of at the moment. if you have stores around like 'whole foods' or 'trader joe's', they have great vegitarian variety.
shoegoddess
shoegoddess
United States
2006/10/15, 11:34 PM
Hey i've been a vegetarian for 5 years and still going strong. i believe that there is no "health" difference between an omnivores diet and a vegetarian diet but there's a huge difference between people who know how to eat right and people who don't. If someone has chosen to become a veg for health reasons, my guess is that they have done their homework as far as supplements and protien. Anyone whos stupid enough to not care about what they eat wont do well on either diet. If someone could explain to me why omnivores take such offence to us veggies that would be much appreciated. I dont see how what i chose not to eat can offend you all.
daniellelouise
daniellelouise
Canada
2007/01/03, 05:05 PM
there seems to be alot of animosity towards vegitarians and vegans... and alot of misconceptions as well. i have been a vegitarian for about 5 years and my health at first wasnt very good because i didnt know what to eat. i have become more educated and have become much healthier. there are many reasons to go vegitarian; the drain of environmental resources (the amount of wanter it takes to raise one calf to the age when it is butchered and appears in your grocery store is enough to float a destroyer, if americans cut 10% of their meat intake the land and other resources freed up could produce enough food <vegitarian food> to feed the whole UK for a year etc...) as well as moral of course, animals raised on large farms are neglected and abused. the images we see from the companies themselves are far from accurate. i grew up in the country next to a farm and thought nothing of it at the time because it was a small family owned operation but few are like that. now as being omnivorous... in the past our bodies demanded that we eat other animals, however in the modern age it is far from required, infact when eating aminal products from the grocery store you are getting alot more than just a peice of steak, there are additives such as hormones, medicines etc... i beleive our bodies are evolving out of the need for meat. we are almost always sitting. where we used to hunt, skin, gut, carry home and cook our food we now drive to a grocery store or a resteraunt where it is already put togther for us the most we ever have to do is cook. we have evolved in many ways but the one area where people are hesitant about accepting change is eating. i mean... we still stab our food...
latrotteuse
latrotteuse
Mexico
2007/01/28, 11:24 AM
I believe that if people had to kill and gut a cow every time they wanted a steak there would be a whole lot more vegetarians out there. I use to trap hares and once killed a ewe, I wanted to help out at the farm, I gained a lot of respect for animals, their fear and their pain. I would do it again for survival purposes but I consider that I am living proof that meat eating isn't a necessity, it is a cruel luxury, if you would allow me my humble opinion, I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 29 years an I feel great.

--------------
Never eat more than you can lift. -- Miss Piggy
raye1979
raye1979
United Kingdom
2011/08/06, 09:33 AM
i have the same problem, i wouldn't say im vegetarian, but i dont like meat or fish, i dont mind tuna and i can manage a bit of chicken, but id rather have a meat alternative any day, i eat alot of the quarn mince and other quarn products, but not sure if it has the same benefit, i really want to bulk up so i can compete.
raye1979
raye1979
United Kingdom
i have the same problem, i wouldn't say im vegetarian, but i dont like meat or fish, i dont mind tuna and i can manage a bit of chicken, but id rather have a meat alternative any day, i eat alot of the quarn mince and other quarn products, but not sure if it has the same benefit, i really want to bulk up so i can compete.
raye1979
raye1979
United Kingdom
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages