Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

going straight vegetarian

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
ibornpinay
ibornpinay
United States
2003/02/12, 01:58 PM
would it be okay if i went straight vegetarian? i don't eat beef anyway just chicken and sometimes turkey.

-Dawn
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/02/12, 04:46 PM
If you are planning on becoming a complete vegan, make sure you supplement with some sort of alternative source of Vitamin B12. It is only found in animal prouducts, but is necessary for the proper production of blood platlets, red and white blood cells, and the materials needed by the body to ensure cell growth and function. One of the most common results of B12 deficiency is anemia.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/02/12, 05:14 PM
You can always add brewers yeast to your diet. It is a great source of b vitamins, 16 amino acids, and 17 other vitamins and minerals. It tastes awful but ok in tomatoe juice.

--------------
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing is too big to attempt!

Ivan Montreal Canada
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2003/02/14, 07:33 AM
lol sorry I know there are a lot of vegans out there but as a girl who grew up on a beef farm I can only say why? Just remember to get your protein and a good multivitamin/mineral...I worked with a couple vegetarians and they always seemed pale, with unhealthy skin.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/02/14, 05:37 PM
I've got great arguements against being vegetarian, but in the end it's a personal choice. Do what you think is best, but make sure you've got a good reason. Remember, if you eat properly, vegetarianism is not necessarily more healthy than being omnivorous. Also, after reading your profile, I noticed you're a type II diabetic. Make sure you check with a docter before going on a diet where almost all your daily calories will come from carbs.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/02/15, 02:38 AM
"...I worked with a couple vegetarians and they always seemed pale, with unhealthy skin. "

But that's excactly the problem when people don't seem to interest in KNOWING what to eat and what's good for the body.
We only got this one body and the very best doctors out there is YOURSELF!! Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Now of course one needs to learn some facts about nutrition so we'll know to read the signals of the body.....

I don't eat any meat, some chicken yes and occasionally I force myself to eat some fish (I don't like the taste of meat nor fish) I don't eat any diary products as well so I need to be careful of getting all my protein and vitamins from other sources.

That's so true and by the way I've seen plenty of fat vegetarians....... (eating too many bad carbs)

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
JOFROUD
JOFROUD
United Kingdom
2004/06/01, 08:57 AM
soy is a fantastic supplement to meat, it is low in fat,high in protein and without the knowledge that something has died for the simple reason of feeding us greedy humans.!
JOFROUD
JOFROUD
United Kingdom
2004/06/01, 08:58 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
JOFROUD
JOFROUD
United Kingdom
2004/06/01, 09:19 AM
soooorry dont know why my messages keep repeating themselves.. !! eeek!!:big_smile:
solflwr
solflwr
United States
2004/06/20, 08:54 PM
Any diet, whether it includes any animal products or not, can be very unhealthy if not approached form a healthy stand point. Protein is easy to get, but it is the vitamins that omnivores take for granted that are hard to remember. Remember also that to get complete proteins, you must have a protein from a grain source and a vegetable source. In each meal, make sure you have, say, a whole grain pasta with broccoli, or a favorite, though it is high in fat, whole grain bread with peanut butter! ANY diet should be supplemented with a good quality multivitamin. It is worth any hassle initially to support a moral decision, and in some cases vegetarianism is a religious requirement. Good luck!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/06/23, 11:42 AM
hey jofroud, but that soy plant died to feed you lol

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/06/23, 12:00 PM
why am i on the womans part of the site i hear you ask, i dont know is the answer. as long as you take any relevant supplements for things your not getting cos humans are omnivores (sp) at the end of the day.

--------------
A freetrainer is a happy trainer!

A.D.F.
yipshi
yipshi
United States
2004/07/04, 05:59 PM

============
Quoting from Lonegirl:

lol sorry I know there are a lot of vegans out there but as a girl who grew up on a beef farm I can only say why? Just remember to get your protein and a good multivitamin/mineral...I worked with a couple vegetarians and they always seemed pale, with unhealthy skin.

=============
First of all, I have never met an unhealthy vegetarian. It is incredibly easy to be healthy on a vegetarian diet. Second of all, if you want a reason to be vegetarian, aside from animal rights, think economics. The United States could save a ton of money if we stopped producing meat, especially beef. Think about all of the land that is used for cattle grazing. If we used that land for growing produce instead, we would make a lot more food. That's just one example.
the_cupcake
the_cupcake
Philippines
2004/07/04, 08:30 PM
Uhm. I tend to disagree. The reason why people or a certain nation supports different sources for their food supply is because of the following:
1. almighty variety
2. Take a look at the revenues generated from beef itself, think "steak", it's a gazillion dollar market. In reality the US is one of the biggest producers of meat and this is where they get most of their money from, so I don't see how they'll be able to put a stop to the market.
3. Sources need to be equal or else the whole balance of things will crumble, if you have plants/crops only, bring in flood and viola: starvation.

And I've seen some vegetarians who are unhealthy because they aren't getting the right portions from protein that they need. It's a lot more difficult to be healthy when your choices are limited.

It's incredibly easy to be unhealthy, be it a vegan or an omnivore. At least that's my opinion. :)

============
Quoting from yipshi:
First of all, I have never met an unhealthy vegetarian. It is incredibly easy to be healthy on a vegetarian diet. Second of all, if you want a reason to be vegetarian, aside from animal rights, think economics. The United States could save a ton of money if we stopped producing meat, especially beef. Think about all of the land that is used for cattle grazing. If we used that land for growing produce instead, we would make a lot more food. That's just one example.

=============

--------------
The best victories are won not by adversity and brute force. Learn the enemy and overcome it.
-cupcake-
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/07/19, 01:11 PM
I say it's easy to be unhealthy, be it carnivore, omnivore, whatever.

It's a well-educated, focused, purposeful but diverse diet catered to our own individual body that gives us the best results. Healthy eating is a higher path, and it rarely happens on accident!

I read alot and have read several excellent books. Especially The New Diet Revolution - one of my favs, and you can get it used on Amazon for dirt cheap - that talks about how to cater a healthy diet. But there's so many more out there. I've liked reading about both "sides" of the arguements!

But there is little doubt that a diet with plenty of fruits and veggies is a good foundation! Good luck to you!

- Nik

--------------
The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. - Benjamin Disraeli
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/07/19, 01:13 PM
Oops, I'm such a 'tard!!!

My fav is "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins, the other is Atkins, which I've also read!!!

- Nik
Kcettei07
Kcettei07
United States
2005/07/21, 12:08 AM
I'm a vegetarian, strickly vegetarian. I don't eat any meat or fish. I eat eggs, where i get my protien from, and veggie burgers alot. If you keep a balanced diet, you should be okay. If i remember correctly, you do lose the vitamin B-14, so it would be a good idea to start taking vitamins, if you aren't already. Good Luck!:big_smile:
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/08/01, 02:10 PM
Beans are good, and also Peanut Butter (Natural).
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/01, 04:39 PM
kcettei.....I thought a complete vegan.....ate no animal products.......eggs don't grow on trees you know...

I think beans are a imcomplete protein....and have to be paired w/ somthing else to complete it. I could be wrong

But i didn't rise to top of food chain to eat grass i'm sorry.

--------------
Friends don\'t let friends squat high...
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2005/08/01, 08:39 PM
andrew you are correct about the beans it is important to look into combining protein sources to get full benefits...don't forget protein supplements out there.
:)
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/08/01, 09:27 PM
Where else can you get protein from besides meats. Is tofu a good source?
z02159
z02159
United States
2005/08/10, 06:26 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo veg, but I was a raw foodist for three years. A great product I use is Jay Robbs whey protein. Is has no artifical sweetners and is sweetened with stevia (a plant). I also eat eggs and cottage cheese. I try to avoid higher fat animal products. You can pretty much plot saturated fat consumption against heart disease/cancer and see a direct correlation.

I had problems being vegan and became hormonally imbalanced. Based on my readings, the plant proteins are higher in different amino acids than animal proteins. Therefore, I could see how you could get a deficiency in certain amino acids only eating plant foods.

I did very well on vegetarian as long as I eat a lot of produce and get good quality protein sources. I feel ten times better on this diet than I did on the normal American diet. I just had a great pregnancy and got hardly any of the discomforts in my pregnancy books. Good luck.

Just a correction...it is more economically effective to feed a society grains. An animal must consume several pounds of grain for diet. If you feed the grains directly to the people, much more efficient. I think the statistic is that you can feed 60 people on the grains needed to farm an animal eaten by one person.
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/10, 10:09 PM
I'm a newly converted vegetarian (1 mo). And the "rising to the food chain" comment was pretty shallow! Wow... I'm still kinda shocked by that. Oh, well! I could go on, but I'll leave my comment at that.

But definitely, though, I used to think V was a bizarre, extremist lifestlye. But that's before I read some extremely objective, informative findings (on accident, that caused me to read more) and the ramifications of meat eating on the environment and all the hormones they pump into our food (animals) to be able to litterally "factory farm" the meat. Cram em in, juice em up with hormones to grow faster and antibios to get better when they're sick from being packed in too tightly.

And I do feel a bit for the sorry critters.. but that alone wouldn't have stopped me from eating meat.... but the rest did! I never think that fear should induce someone to stop eating meat, and that's not what it was for me. It was just not wanting to anymore after reading more about it!

Enough on my two cents.

--------------
The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. - Benjamin Disraeli
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/12, 06:34 PM
Well hmm lets see.. .... why the use hormones......to make more meat.....why....maybe its cause the 1 billon people on the planet......they have to feed..

So you read some "treat the animals right" campagn speach....be a vegaterian for a month....

But you know what?

We use pestisides on those plants you eat......we grow plants in animal fecal matter, we turn land fills in farms, we dump and bury nuclear waste, then plant trees around it.

water is contaiminated with chlorine, and know telling what else....air has smog in it......but you still breath it.....so what should we do?

we gonna die eventually......from somthing...might as well be happy in life.

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/15, 09:37 PM
Two more cents and I'll call this quits. It's actually been 1.5 mos and going strong. I feel amazingly healthy. Easy to do too!

Oh, and by the way I'm very happy!!!

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/17, 07:15 PM
talk to me in a year......lets see if you stick with it...

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...
2005/08/17, 07:28 PM
anyone try spirullina and chlorella as a vegan/vegetarian here? I got conflicting reports as to whether they are complete protein sources....they are algae protein sources....
MDroog
MDroog
United States
2005/08/21, 08:20 PM

============
Quoting from bigandrew:

talk to me in a year......lets see if you stick with it...

=============
I have been a demi-vegetarian for 1 year and 6 months and going strong, despite my husband and family members objections. I did my research and discovered that it was a very healthy decision. Vegetarianism has been directly linked with reduced occurences with high blood pressure and heart disease, both of which run in my family, therefore my decision was based on health reasons. Once I was a couple of months into vegetarianism I realized the added benefits I was gaining from it. I had more energy, more endurance for my workouts and I had better focus and memory in school. Not to mention with today's rising gas prices it is a great idea to save money where you can. Meat is twice or three times more expensive than produce and grains therefore making it a more economically friendly based choice. Therefore, Mr BigAndrew I would advise that before you express your uneducated opinion about my being a vegetarian doesn't make any sense, please do your homework first.
P.S. I am currently expecting my second child and already feel a lot better with nausea and fatigue than when I was still a meat eater and pregnant with my son. I really could go on and on about the benefits of being a vegetarian.
Thanks.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/21, 11:27 PM
I'll drive a solar powered car.. before I give up meat.

High blood pressure and heart diease...you can't blame on meat hun.......Salt......and saturated fats. Hell you can eat french fries.....thats vegaterian....and they have trans fat. Life style is what gets you high blood pressure, and heart diease.

Well with all those carbs you might become diabetic.....what you gonna eat then? You can get vitamen, deficieniesand mineral one going veg.

Theres pros and cons to both........so don't try and tell me gas prices is whats making you a veg.

If your really that "health concious".......walk...

--------------

People don\'t reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
2005/08/22, 12:45 AM
wish I had a solar powered car...gas near my house is 2.82...a gallon...

MD...I don't evne get why u got on Andrew's case when he wasn't even talking with you on the issue....or referring to you in any way.....it was meant for another member....this is in fact your first post...lol....

hey if being a vegetarian or a vegan works for you...then do it...it's a free country....I personally think genetically humans are predisposed to eat meat....based on the tooth structure....and thousands of years of existence as omnivores...but with genetically altered everything.....steroid ladden livestock...hydrogenated everything else...hormone injected cows.....I can understand why more people are going vegetarian/vegan
MDroog
MDroog
United States
2005/08/22, 08:49 AM
Wasn't getting on Andrew's case, just pointing out that most "meat" eaters don't understand why people choose to go veg and really don't care to know why either. Maybe that is why Andrew makes an uneducated assumption that vegetarians eat fat laden french fries all the time. However I do agree with you and Andrew in that it is all about lifestyle, so please don't assume that all vegetarians eat unhealthy. Oh and Menace, if you do base it on the tooth structure, humans aren't exactly predisposed to eat meat. Yes, we can handle it but our teeth are designed to process everything not just meat. And by the way this is not my first post on this board, it is only my first one since I rejoined. LOL. And even if it was it does not mean that I am not able to give a qualified opinion about topics, especially vegetarianism.
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/22, 06:29 PM
Hey BA just keep wearing those outfits and throwing those cheerleaders and talking about things you know little about .. it doesn't sound like you've read much about vegetarianism, though you have a very strong, uneducated opinion.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/22, 07:31 PM
Md,nikki......humans can't digest celluose......so explain to me that?

--------------

nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/22, 07:44 PM
Huh? What a friggin bizarre comment...

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, this thread is to discuss vegi lifestyle - to be able to provide some good info here versus redic. back & forth... An excellent source of info on the vegi planning is at:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

You can run a search and find some good resource information there. Both vegis and non-vegis alike. An excellent book is Superfoods RX, which which is excellent information for anyone looking to balance their eating plans with the foods that pack in some of the most concentrated, potent, useable vit/mins/nutrients.

There are a lot of good books out there, but that is one of the better one's I've read.

:)
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/22, 07:51 PM
She said humans aren't soposed to be eating meat.....well human can't digest celluose......which is in plants......so what do we eat?

If you don't know what celluose is......might wanna look it up.

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/22, 07:58 PM
Btw great way to "throw" cheerleading into the dicussion......very mature....i'm stating my ponits......not making personal attacks on character or what you do. My only "attack' is the vegan way of eating......just as yor all attack my "meat eating" carnivore self.

Yes I eat meat but not a carnivore......I take in close to 900 calores of each a day.....almost 50 50 of my total calories....

--------------

nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/22, 08:13 PM
good for you (clapping)
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/08/23, 02:29 AM
Knock it off, guys. If you can't discuss in a civil matter, then keep your fingers off the keyboard. This is your only warning.....

--------------
Michael

*ITS LEG DAY*
You already blew out your wraps.
Your towel cant absorb any more sweat.
Theres puke on the floor.
Your partner is passed out.
Theres a crowd gathering...

And that was just the warm up!
2005/08/23, 05:10 AM
MD notice how I said 'omnivores'.....which means humans consume both plants and meat/fish.....

I don't get the cheerleading comment either....it was out of the blue....

Once and for all...everyone is politically correct(yet often laugh at inappropriate jokes....and don't speak up)...everyone is on a diet(yet 2/3 of americans are overweight...and it's not changing)...everyone is a vegetarian(except Mcdonalds has a chain in practically every country..and is a billion dollar industry...as is meat industry in general)....everyone is following some random fad of the day......everyone has a gym membership(but only go once a month or every leap year)....all Andrew was commenting on...was that many people say they are vegetarian but are actually just running their mouth...following for what is a fad of the day for them...I am not saying anything against this lifestyle...it's fine....many people are vegetarian except they eat fish...or occassional chicken....or eat mean every other sunday....etc....people have a tendency to run their mouth...but don't necessarily follow through with their actions.....

and yes lets keep this discussion civil...we can speak our minds without making this personal....b/c down deep we're all good people trying educate ourselves and others in fitness....:)
tbstepn
tbstepn
United States
2005/08/23, 07:15 AM
I know this is a little late but I really wonder if Yipshi has ever seen a feedlot. They are relatively small compared to the amount of steers they pack in there.

============
Quoting from yipshi:
Think about all of the land that is used for cattle grazing. If we used that land for growing produce instead, we would make a lot more food

=============

--------------
There is a place on Earth for all Gods creatures.
Right next to the taters and gravy!!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/23, 07:18 PM
and the question i'm still asking is....if humasn aren't soposed to eat meat....then why can't we digest celluose?

--------------

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/08/24, 02:04 AM
Here's an interesting read from a post of mine a few months ago:

I have always held that humans were not meant to be complete vegetarians (herbivores) for numerous reasons: presence of canine teeth, Hydrochloric acid in the stomach to breakdown animal proteins, etc.; things that all carnivores and omnivores have. But yesterday, I discovered something that blew me away.

We all know that the human stomach has several functions, such as the second stage of breaking down food to ready it for digestion in the intestines. However, all of these functions are secondary. The human stomach has a single ESSENTIAL to life function: to release, what is called, the Intrinsic Factor. This product is what’s used by the intestines to breakdown and absorb Vitamin B12. Without it, Vitamin B12 cannot be utilized, and many problems can ensue, the least being Anemia, and the worst being DNA malformation. It is worthy to note that Vitamin B12 is present only in animal products, and is not available from any plant products.

Just thought that was interesting……

*Marub, Elaine N., RN, PhD., “Human Anatomy & Physiology, 6th Edition.” P. 901-902.

--------------
Michael

*ITS LEG DAY*
You already blew out your wraps.
Your towel cant absorb any more sweat.
Theres puke on the floor.
Your partner is passed out.
Theres a crowd gathering...

And that was just the warm up!
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2005/08/25, 01:21 AM
very interesting read Rev, thx!

--------------
Bettia.... The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

redrider4life1
redrider4life1
United States
2005/08/25, 01:51 PM
Very interesting read, but I think with our technology you can do either and be healthy. If for example, all the animals were wiped off the planet we could all survive on plants. Eventually we would probably lose our canines and be able to digest cellulose. Evolution happens, but it takes a while^^.

As for the argument about meat being expensive, I think taking the supplements to get the vitamins and amino acids you don't get from the meat would make it just as expensive. Those health food stores are insanely expensive, I was going to buy a protein bar then I noticed it cost almost $4.
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/25, 02:42 PM
I've read a bit about IF (Intrinsic Factor) too. Really fascinating. It's a protein produced in the stomach cells that plays an important rose in the absorption of B12. It binds to the vitamin to allow it to be absorbed by the small intestine.

Microorganisms, primarily bacteria, are the only organisms known to manufacture B12 - important for the central nervous system, metabolism and red blood cells. What I thought was interesting, is that according to the new Recommended Dietary Allowance, your body requires only about 2 micrograms (mcg) of B12 daily.

They're always finding new things daily, but I'd be suprised if IF isn't used for something more in the body's digestive process, if it is as r8b claims, the single essential purpose of the stomach (IF production). I would love to read that article you got that from r8b. Interesting stuff!

- Nikki
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/25, 03:43 PM
And I don't think anyone here is saying humans aren't supposed to eat meat.
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/25, 04:33 PM
One more comment on B12: it's extremely important for those who chose to eat vegi that they include a supplement of B12. Extremely.

Buta look through scientific literature shows the following plant-based foods as containing B12:

- Vegetables containing lactic acid, e.g. sauerkraut (fermented white cabbage)
- Fermented soya products, e.g. Tempeh, Natto, Miso etc.
- Marine plants, e.g. algae
- Yeasts and products manufactured from yeasts such as bread and beer (don't go crazy on the beer)
- Fermented cereal products
- The leaves of alfalfa shoots
- Root vegetables
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/25, 06:50 PM
wher eyou get this research....everything I read b12 is found ONLY in animal products

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/25, 11:11 PM
glad evolution and darwin came into the discussion as well

--------------

nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/08/26, 11:03 AM
I've read it different places. You can search around for it if you'd like. B12 is found in fermented products (again b12 is manuf by microorg/bacteria), but it's been debated on whether it's assimilated well in the plant-derived sources. There's little argument that it's much better available in meat products.
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last