Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

shoulder stability

danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/05/13, 05:46 AM
id post this in the injury section but i havnt actually had an injury yet but prehab is better than rehab. I have double jointed shouders so they have always been looser than normal so i think that puts me in a weakend position. Just wondering what you have found to be the most effective stabilisation excercises, because alot that ive been looking at seem to put the shoulder in a very vulnarable position.. any thoughts on some excercises??

--------------
OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED
doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2007/05/18, 05:19 PM
If you have an unstable shoulder try compound movements that partially distribute the weight to another muscle. For example instead of doing militaries or DB presses on a bench with the back straight up angle it back a bit. (Only one setting, this should still be an almost verticle position) This will still be a shoulder exercise but some of the stress will go to your chest as well to help you stabilize. If that's not what you were looking for, clean presses are never a bad idea for strengthening your shoulders! They're probably just as far from stable as you'll get.
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2007/05/24, 01:00 AM
I've found that doing standing and/or seated lat raises, with front dumbell raises has helped me a lot with my bad shoulders. I started with very low weights doing 15 or so reps, eventually got them stronger and has worked pretty well for me. Hope that helps a little.

--------------
Jonathan (jonnnyko@hotmail.com)
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/05/26, 01:06 PM
The best exercises to do first are external rotation (keeps the ball in the back of the socket) and abduction (helps keep the ball down in the socket when performing overhead activities.

Here's an easy test to see if they are weak: elbows plastered to rib cage with fists forward. Have a friend push them together. If they move at all, they are weak and you are a shoulder injury waiting to happen. Moreso if they crunch together. I can't count the number of well developed guys (and gals) I have encounter in my 16 years as a physical therapist that have weak external rotators (I have them myself).

Sidelying dumbells work well with the rotation (15-25# would probably work for most). I, myself, am at 12# with dumbells and 20# with standing cables.

k-ok, PT