Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

The basics

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/02/11, 02:47 PM
So you have made it to Feb. Great, you actually got started in a exercise routine, you joined a gym, or at least bought some equipment. Or maybe you are doing it all at home, using soup cans and broomsticks. What ever way you choose, one thing I suggest is the basics. What is that O Mutt you ask?
THe basics are the building blocks of a good fitness program. There are really no quick fixes, or "BEST" workouts. One longtime member here said it best, "eat, lift, rest, Repeat" I think he should market that but that is another post.
So what are these basics? One and the most important is a diet. NO I do not mean a "diet", but a good healthy meal plan. There are many posts on this here and I suggest that you really look at them. Good foods are a key to making this work. Track the AMOUNT of calories you eat. This is so important. I know from my own experience that you can think you are eating a certain amount of calories only to find that you are wrong. This can make a HUGE difference in seeing those results. Another bit of advice is not to get drastic. IT is easy to fall into a trap a lot of people make. Cutting calories and adding cardio are all part of getting the results you want. What you DO NOT want is to cut toomany calories off. Doing that will just make things worse, as it shuts down the body and can actually make you fatter.

Once the diet plan is picked, next we have a HUGE amount of choices for exercise. Here is where I see the next mistake. Chosing one that works for you is a hard thing for anyone to develop for you. If you are a true begininer I suggest using Freetrainers for a program. Stick to that for the length it offers and then reevaluate where and what you want. If you are looking for a program and just do not ike or want one from the site. I suggest my basics.
Working out the WHOLE body is important as is the way you work it out. Squats, dead lifts, bent over rows, shrugs, dips, Close grip bench, chins are exercises to choose from. As you get more of an advanced level add in the isolation exercises if you want. By chosing these and making a plan from them you will allow for greater changes and better results.

These are just a few things you can do...more will be discussed in later posts.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/02/11, 05:32 PM
Nice one Muttster!

--------------
Bettia

\"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open.\" - Lord Thomas Dewar
Deni
Deni
Canada
2007/02/20, 04:43 PM
Great post Mutt!

--------------
Deni
------------------------

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.
- Anatole France
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/02/20, 10:58 PM
excellent Mutt :)