Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

small increment progression...

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/02, 10:09 PM
The effectiveness of 0.5-lb increments in progressive resistance exercise.

* Hostler D,
* Crill MT,
* Hagerman FC,
* Staron RS.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701, USA.

A traditional progressive resistance exercise program consists of increasing the number of repetitions at a constant load until exceeding an established repetition range. Subsequently, the load is increased by 1.1 kg (2.5 lb) or more, and the lifter works at the new load until again exceeding the repetition range. This investigation examines the use of small incremental loads for 2 upper-body exercises (bench press and triceps press). Subjects were randomly assigned to traditional (TRAD) progressive resistance exercise (5 women, 5 men) and small increment (SI) progressive resistance exercise (5 women, 4 men) groups. Initially, both groups trained for 8 weeks using TRAD progressive resistance exercise. Subjects who achieved 7 repetitions on the final set of an exercise increased the load for the next session by 2.2 (bench press) or 1.1 kg (triceps press). Following the initial 8-week training period, the TRAD group continued for another 8 weeks following the same protocol, whereas the SI group trained for an additional 8 weeks, increasing the load by 0.22 kg (0.5 lb) when completing 7 or 8 repetitions and 0.44 kg (1 lb) when achieving 9 or more repetitions. All groups, except TRAD women, made significant increases in 1 repetition maximum (1RM) for the bench press. Both TRAD men and SI men significantly increased 1RM triceps press. Groups that did not significantly increase 1RM, in either the bench press or triceps press, demonstrated similar trends. For TRAD men and SI men, the number of repetitions to failure for the bench press at 60% 1RM decreased after training. Both regimens proved effective for increasing strength throughout 8 weeks. In conclusion, SI progressive resistance exercise appears to be as effective as TRAD progressive resistance exercise for increasing strength during 8 weeks in short-term pretrained college-aged men and women. However, preliminary data suggest that the TRAD progressive resistance exercise program might be a more effective method of increasing resistance during an extended period.

PMID: 11708713

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/02, 10:22 PM
This one compares small, frequent increases with weight (.5lbs) with larger, less grequent increases (5lb) when resistance training.

There were no significant differences indicated at the end of the training cycle. A couple things to think of...

Small increases are more difficult to keep track of.
More frequent increases don't allow for rep range adaptation.
It would be much tougher to get pumped for a 1lb PR than a 10lb PR.

I'll stick with the big plates thank you...

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/02/02, 10:35 PM
i like this post ty :)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/03, 12:22 AM
Something that might interest you Vel, is that the female's in this study did better with incremental loading than the male's.

This is something I've known for a while, but from a psychological standpoint. Small PR's are necessary for motivation for female clients.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/02/03, 08:32 AM
what is interesting is i do that.I think....and didnt even know that i should or should not be...im always adding alittle more weight each week instead of sticking with one weight...even if its just a 2.5# plate...i work out with low rep/heavy weight....kinda hard to do with dumbbells as most are 5# increments so I do the heaviest weight i can til i fail..so am i understanding correctly?...

it seems so funny to see some girls at the gym with the 5# weights doing shoulders..they go so fast they look like they are trying to fly..lmao
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/06, 11:11 AM
At the gym I train at V from 5-50lbs the weight increase on dbs by 2.5lbs. So there's a 7.5 db, 22.5 db...kinda cool.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.