Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Eating 6 times a day

jww23
jww23
United States
2006/12/13, 10:42 PM
ive tried eating the 6 times a day small meals and exercising but it wasnt doin nothin,but for about 6 weeks i stopped eating breakfast and lunch and just ate a peanut butter sandwhich when i got home and then ate dinner later and this worked so much better. i am getting in much better shape. Is this unhealthy?

--------------
Talent does what it can; Genius does what it must
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/12/13, 11:14 PM
Yes.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2006/12/14, 01:49 AM
from a laymans point 6 small meals is actually implied to be 3 meals and 2-3 small snacks if i am not mistaken also if you generalize and say you weren/t getting results maybe the small meals were not soo small after all...not implying anything just saying what i think is small and what my 110 lb female coworker thinks is small is not compareable
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/14, 01:59 AM
I'm currently eating 2500 to 2600 calaries a day and I do it in 5 meals and on workout days a PWO Shake.

My meals are not snacks they are meals.

1st try out 4 meals a day then work to 5 and if needed 6 but being a kid in school all day I have no clue how your going to get these meals in. My meals are every 3 hours of the day until I reach meal 5.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/14, 05:42 AM
I eat 3 meals..2 snacks and 1 Post shake.every 3 hours like SF..if im not mistaken its not always necessarily how many times a day you eat but what you eat as well :D

Velasca
Velasca
United States
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/14, 12:05 PM
Bottom line is if you are getting enough protein, frequency of meals is probably not so necessary. The 6 meals and metabolism crap is just that....it is just a way of staying 'fed'.

However, when you take into account most folks eat mixed meals, it is highly unlikely your meal is digested in 3 hrs. or as the eating cops would have you believe. I see alot of research that shows a typical meal sits in the gut digesting 5 hrs. later. Now you have the presence of previously digesting meals which is going to affect how any subsequent meals digest. Kind of debunks the every 3 hr. thing, huh?

These 'eating schedules' are self imposed and alot of bodybuilding dogma. In terms of body composition if your diet macros at the end of the day fulfill your needs, then any eating schedule means little. (within reason of course)

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/14, 07:25 PM
omg..i only posted the one time..makes me look like im naughty :(
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/12/16, 03:52 PM
I am starting to wonder about the frequent meal thing also. I have been eating every 3 hours for months--not always perfectly but for the most part. In the past few weeks I've been lax--haven't had the proper food in the house to get all my meals ready ahead of time--and suddenly I drop 1-1/2 lbs and I see a visible reduction in the fat on my stomach. Could be a coincidence since I am working pretty hard in the gym. The other change is that I have not had time for my preworkout meal at 4:00 a.m. Doesn't seem to effect my workout but I'm wondering if that has contributed to my recent results. I'm thinking you really have to find what works for your own body.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/12/16, 03:54 PM
I am starting to wonder about the frequent meal thing also. I have been eating every 3 hours for months--not always perfectly but for the most part. In the past few weeks I've been lax--haven't had the proper food in the house to get all my meals ready ahead of time--and suddenly I drop 1-1/2 lbs and I see a visible reduction in the fat on my stomach. Could be a coincidence since I am working pretty hard in the gym. The other change is that I have not had time for my preworkout meal at 4:00 a.m. Doesn't seem to effect my workout but I'm wondering if that has contributed to my recent results. I'm thinking you really have to find what works for your own body.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/16, 06:08 PM
Just think 'smart'. This is the bottom line. There is lots of bodybuilding dogma out there. Much of it has simply become 'conventional wisdom' because someone sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Human physiology dictates otherwise.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/16, 07:59 PM
Probably what's keeping me from dropping then next couple % of fat, forcing meals in when not really needed yet!

Going to start feeding myself as needed for awhile and see how it goes, meals and snacks instead of all meals and no snack. Today I had a great snack that I haven't had in months, 2 taco's on corn tortilla's 1 Fish the other Chicken and less then 300 calories total.

2 tortillas
2 oz of Chicken
2 oz of Tuna
2 TBSP of Salsa

278 Carlories
3.8 Fats
25 Carbs
31 Protien

Can't go wrong with snacks like this!

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Bottom line is if you are getting enough protein, frequency of meals is probably not so necessary. The 6 meals and metabolism crap is just that....it is just a way of staying 'fed'.

However, when you take into account most folks eat mixed meals, it is highly unlikely your meal is digested in 3 hrs. or as the eating cops would have you believe. I see alot of research that shows a typical meal sits in the gut digesting 5 hrs. later. Now you have the presence of previously digesting meals which is going to affect how any subsequent meals digest. Kind of debunks the every 3 hr. thing, huh?

These 'eating schedules' are self imposed and alot of bodybuilding dogma. In terms of body composition if your diet macros at the end of the day fulfill your needs, then any eating schedule means little. (within reason of course)

=============