Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Cardio Poll - What works for you?

kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2006/12/03, 05:27 PM
I would like to take a little poll regarding the cardio workouts that work for you. I've read countless posts and articles as to what cardio workout should be done. Some say HIIT, others say longer, lower intensity is better. I would like to know what works for us? The overweight!

I personally can't find the perfect cardio workout. Lately I've been doing 15 minutes moderate intensity on the elliptical, then 20-30 minutes at 3.0 mph at a 5-10% inclinde on the treadmill. I love this workout and feel exhausted afterwards, but am not sure if this is effective. I haven't seen or noticed any changes in myself since I started doing this.

So maybe if we all share our cardio stories, we can all learn a little from each other. What works for us "real" people?
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/12/03, 05:35 PM
i do 20-30 mins of any of the cardio machines 6 days a week after my weight training...
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/12/03, 11:36 PM
HIIT's on the bicycle, treadmill, elliptical and running. Have worked really well for me.

--------------
Bettia

To be motivated, motivate others!
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/04, 09:47 AM
kaiaw, you say you haven't noticed any changes in yourself since starting your cardio. What kind of changes are you looking for? I'll bet your cardio endurance has improved. Wt changes are going to have more to do with diet and building muscle. Cardio will aid in burning a some calories and certainly is good for the heart. Try adding 5 min to your cardio every 2nd week or increase the pace by 0.5mph.

I myself like to do a variety of cardio...swim, run, cycle, kick boxing classes, elliptical etc....I get bored easily so I like to change things around a lot. Within each of these I change things up as well by doing long steady state endurance, HIIT (my favorite is 1min high 1 min low intervals on a stationary bike for 20min), 15 min of cardio challenges (I use 15min on the ellip for this, and every 2 weeks try and beat the calories burnt the previous week). Changing what cardio you do is a good way to keep your body guessing and keeps things interesting.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/04, 10:07 AM
AM I A 'fake' person, then?

What will work for any person is a variety of cardio. When you are overweight you will need to do more cardio, daily if possible, and do a wide variety to stave of repetitive motion injury and boredom.

You also need to be strength training and eating a healthy balanced diet.

You could do cardio all day, but if you are making up the calories by overeating, you won't lose weight.

--------------

Perseverance is not a long race it is many short races one after another.
Walter Elliott
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2006/12/04, 04:14 PM
I am way overweight and Amy I think why the question was directed towards the fat people is because while cardio is cardio with being obese running is not just running, and for some of us such as myself, I can't actually run on a treadmill due to weight limits on the equipment itself..

IN AN ANSWER THOUGH...WORK OUT WITH WEIGHTS CARDIO I find fast walking with jogging (HIIT) works for me keeps me interested and keeps me motivated trying to push my run every 5 streetlights to every three and so on plus doing some "fake boxing" while running stuff like that

--------------
Jason Fox 6'1" 380lbs Weight Goal 300 by april 2007
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/12/08, 01:28 PM
Amy I think as long as your doing cardio most days your getting healthy. I agree that you cant eat or drink those calories right back and expect weight loss (and how I love food). Most of us overweight folks got there because of our life choices so that is what has to change for long term success. Success breeds success. Keep it up and you will figure it out as you go. Just know that what you see on the scale for a week or so does not constitute a trend. It could just be your body adjusting to being the new you. Weight training will increase your metabolisim which also helps in the long run. For me I just try to do a different machine or type of cardio every day that I weight train to keep my body guessing and boredom to a minimum. I believe If you can stick with cardio you enjoy the most you are more likely to stay with it. Any cardio that you will stick with is the right kind for you. If you love your workout just keep doing it and watch your calories. Your body will reward you for sure.

--------------
Only two defending forces have ever offered to die for You. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Both died for your Freedom!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/08, 02:50 PM
Anything that makes you 'move' works. Burns calories...this is the bottom line. Diet is the key, in addition to cardio creates a caloric deficit. A few calories either way for the majority of us makes little difference.

If an elliptical burns 20 more calories than a treadmill, who cares? Eat right, and it still works. Play tennis, do sprints, play volleyball....move, solid diet, and it will work.

There are literally tons of cardio workouts out there, and you will get folks swearing by Ty Bo, by the Gazelle, name it and someone used it and it worked. Why? One guess...(read my above paragraphs again if you haven't figured it out).

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2006/12/09, 10:14 AM
I do weight train, 5 days a week, using the FT program. I've changed my eating habits rather dramatically, and I do no less than 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I've been doing this faithfully for a year and have only lost 30 lbs. I know, I should be happy I'm at least making progress, but it's very slow-going. But this post wasn't meant to be about ME!!

I just thought that if other overweight people, or those who once we overweight, shared their cardio success stories in this poll, it would be a great place for others, including myself, to get some new ideas and motiviation.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/13, 12:36 PM
It is not the cardio, or the weights per sey that 'burns fat'. Whatever you do, however you choose to move, this is simply a choice. What is used or done during a training session is mostly irrelevant if you think about it till you are contest training. What you do is simply a vehicle to get you there. It is what occurs between training sessions that you are working for. Don't be concerned about how much fat is burnt doing a certain type of cardio. You cannot know that. You really burn very little fat, just as you don't build muscle during a weight training session. What is done between theses sessions is what determines your progress.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
homegym1
homegym1
United States
2006/12/30, 09:36 PM
top speed sprints 15 sets 60 yards
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2007/01/31, 03:57 PM
As it was stated in earlier posts, do what you enjoy doing. Find an activity that you want to do, so if you get injured or somehow have a setback, you can not wait to get back to playing basketball, running on the treadmill etc. When you have found this, you know you have a lifestyle, and you will be successful.
jeanine1
jeanine1
United States
2007/08/05, 05:43 PM
I am really confused on cardio. I do 1hr in the am before breakfast and then in the pm I weightlift first to follow with 30 more minuted of a cardio. I do this 5 days a week Is that too much for the same result with not as much effort ha ha :(