Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

One Reason for failure

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/21, 04:44 PM
At fitness is people are simply afraid of hard work. Nothing is free, or easy, that is something each of us learn at some point. Being fit, being lean, strong or what ever your goals are is not going to be a cake walk. There is going to be times when you want to give up. There are times when I want to give up. I see people in the gym that are lifting the same weights and look the same and have been the same for years. Maybe they have reached their goals? I doubt it. I think most of them are afraid to take that step. Ask KC, Flyonthewall, MannyMaster, Asimmer, and the others (I apologize to those I left out) that are in the 7th week of a challenge. IT is not easy for them but they all have seen HUGE improvements.
I saw a person at the gym last night, benching. He has been inthere for over a year and he can bench little more than he did before he came in. WHY is that? One thing is he is totaly un-informed and has decided that learning the exercise is not worth his time, and that pisses me off. I see the lady on her treadmill, I have to admire her for consistency, she only does the cardio and looks like it. I see the woman lifting 5 lbs dozens of times for curls and DB squats, the same 5lbs she started with 1.5 years ago. I see the young guy doing squats with a weight that is sort of impressive, if not for the fact he is going only 1/4 to 3/4 of the way down.

What is my point O audience? DO NOT BE AFRAID! SOme are afraid of looking stupid...how much more stupid can you look than I did getting pinned to the bench trying to lift more than I could last week? I did it cause I do not want to be the same each week. This week I got that weight, and next week I will get more. DO NOT BE AFRAID. Failing is ok in this sport as that is how you actually grow, and get leaner and better fit.

Ladies take that barbell and do some squats, or rows or deadlifts. GUYS lower that weight or add depending and get LEARN that lift. The only thing to fear is frea itself, that such a true quote. Once you get passed that fear, your goals will open up and you will become what you have been searching for.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!
7707mutt@freetrainers.com
2006/11/21, 04:57 PM
Good post Mutt. I often get intimidated by a weight I have never done before but then I try to supress those thoughts and go 100%. Do or Die, worst I can do is fail. I have failed countless times at weights I later went on to destroy. Everything is relative. Mutt dont talk to me about embarassment unless you end up on the floor pinned under the bar in a bench position...when you started out squatting....lol...however because I am not afraid to fail I end up being stronger than every single person in my gym. I see countless people doing same thing every single time I see them. That's absurd. I have no clue how they could continue doing same thing time after time and never wonder if they should change anything or go heavier...etc...I call these people "yea I have a gym membership"..."oh yea I work out 5 times a week"...

one thing I try to keep in mind is that as long I dont get injured on the sets I fail I count it as a success. Sometimes it's actually good to train with imperfect technique so that the body knows how to react properly to avoid injury when form breaks down...
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/11/21, 09:37 PM
very nice post..today i did add a little more weight than i usually do and surprisingly i did a decent amount of sets/reps... im gaining strength!!..yay!!!

2006/11/22, 12:06 AM
good for you...keep pushing yourself and you'll be surprised at the results you achieve....

nothing worse than seeing same women use the same pink(2.5 lb?) DBs for years with nothing to show for their efforts....
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/11/22, 03:36 PM
Great Post Mutt! I just made the transition from working out in my garage with limited equipment to going to my local gym. It can be intimidating, but it should be. If it were easy us newbys would all look like you guys. After failing 2000 times Edison simply stated. I have not failed but learned 2000 ways not to make a light bulb. I hope to always be able to push myself. With great posts like yours to come back to for inspiration I am confident. Keep it up!
Thanks !

--------------
"Do the right Things" and "Do Things Right". You will succeed.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/11/23, 09:33 AM
ok..so yesterday i worked the back.. there are 3 machines that i used where you can put weight on each side..initially this woman was on one using 45# on each side..she had a lean body but not body builder type. I said to myself, wow how does she do that?... so as we switched off she said, cmon just try it..and i said naww..thats too much. she said well ok..atleast try 25# on each side..so i gave in..by the time i was done with my sets i had up'd it to 40#/side.. i just couldnt quite do the 45#/side.. so again i surprised myself and wont be afraid anymore :)
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/11/24, 02:50 AM
Good motivational post. However, many people's goals are not to become stronger or a bodybuilder. Sure, there are many out there fall under the category of being afraid to push themselves, but then there are some who are being stereotyped too quickly.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/24, 06:50 AM
What exactly are you meaning? THis post used strength cause that is what aplies to 99% of people here. Even if you are looking to lose weight having a good resistence program (ie weight lifting) is the 2nd most important thing to consider. But the point of this was to get across that YOU do NOT NEED to be afraid to TRY things that you have not done before, not to lift more weight. I wonder if you actually read the whole post.... I fail to see the reason behind your posts.

============
Quoting from dgjesu3:

Good motivational post. However, many people's goals are not to become stronger or a bodybuilder. Sure, there are many out there fall under the category of being afraid to push themselves, but then there are some who are being stereotyped too quickly.
=============

--------------

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/24, 11:51 AM
Then what would your goals be?

If you are someone looking for a change in body composition, then you are a bodybuilder.
If you want to get fit, then you are after some kind of strength.
If you are doing it for your health, then it is a combination of the two.

Otherwise, what are you doing this for?

--------------
Iron and chalk.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/24, 11:57 AM
Dunno...I think I'm just doing this to look good naked:big_smile::laugh:
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/11/24, 12:00 PM
1. All things held constant, a stronger individual will have more potential to build muscle mass.

2. Maximal strength is the foundation for all athletic qualities. I've used the analogy of the glass (maximal strength) and the liquid (all other strength qualities) before: you can only add so much fluid before you're limited by the size of the glass.

3. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn in your attempt to burn fat.

4. The more strength you have, the more power you'll be able to generate when using high-intensity interval training (HIIT) to lose fat. Do more work in the same amount of time and you'll make progress.

~Eric Cressey

as for fat loss, what will burn more calories, a 100lb squat or a 300lb squat?

Why wouldn't someone want to get stronger?

FOTW, you fall under the bodybuilding category. Just because you don't compete doesn't mean you don't have the same goals.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/24, 12:06 PM
Fly - you're just trying to get Charlie stirred up. :)
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/24, 01:34 PM
so...do they have naked bodybuilding contests?? or is that just considered stripping....Sorry Mike...just a slow day at work I guess...and wrestler, actually I fakk into all 3 categories, but I still mainly do it to look good naked:big_smile::big_smile:
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/24, 02:02 PM
*fakk*...hmmm, mind in the gutter or what...I meant it to read *fall*
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/11/24, 03:33 PM
I agree with your post, I just think that when you see someone in the gym with the same weight on the bar as previous workouts, I just think it is unfair to say theyre not pushing themselves. It may not be their goal, or perhaps they just lift weights to relieve stress.
2006/11/24, 03:43 PM
Fly, I'm speechless but it's a worthy goal for all. And Mike, the bit dog always hollers.

Mutt, I don't push as hard as I used to because of fear. Fear of injury. The muscle strain that used to last 3 days can last weeks now. I hear what you're saying but it's a little misleading to put people into a cookie cutter category.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/24, 03:51 PM
Ah Charlie, success at last. My mission is complete. Now I finally know what it takes to silence you..and what a surprise, it involves nakedness:) And I agree with you on not pushing as hard because of fear of injury, I have to struggle with this as well. But, you have to admit that you may not push as hard as you used to, but you still push...I think that's what mutt was refering to. (OK maybe using nakedness and pushing is not the best thing to combine in one post....are you still speachless charlie?)

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/24, 03:55 PM
:big_smile: Oooh! Can I see? Can I see?

============
Quoting from flyonthewall:

Dunno...I think I'm just doing this to look good naked:big_smile::laugh:
=============
:big_smile:
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/24, 04:10 PM
No...now be a good boy and go finish your pumpkin pie!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/24, 04:27 PM
That was my post don't know why I got nulled, I just replied to Fly's!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/24, 04:42 PM
See charlie it was not about the weight being used or even weight at all. I used it as an example not as a "cookie cutter" here is what I think a few of ya overlooked "Being fit, being lean, strong or what ever your goals are is not going to be a cake walk". Just going in and going through the motions is not going to do much of anything, that is what I meant to imply.

--------------

2006/11/24, 05:28 PM
Abi abidi abidi abidi yes, Fly the thought of ...slap...ow bad Charlie. But I didn't start it...slap OW BAD Charlie...Be silent.

Mutt I guess at my age it's smaller pain less gain. I just don't risk being shut down for months to get that next 5 pounds on the bar.

And Fly I'm still speechless but I'm getting a pretty cool visual.

--------------

Charlie
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/24, 06:19 PM
Again Charlie tht is what you need to do and that is ok. I tried to get across that Just doing the same thing if it is in terms of weight lifting cardio what have you, the same thing time after time after time is usually not a thing that works or is good for ya.

--------------

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/11/24, 06:35 PM
i couldnt get past the word bulging in nulls post...any post after that is just a blurr...
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/24, 06:40 PM
Nasty girl, read the word bulg and got all lite headed! :big_smile:

============
Quoting from Velasca:

i couldnt get past the word bulging in nulls post...any post after that is just a blurr...
=============
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/11/24, 06:49 PM
*tries to straighten her halo*
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/24, 07:49 PM
Too late
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/11/24, 10:58 PM
"Lift to YOUR full potential"

Is what I think mutt is trying to say..

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/24, 11:38 PM
Well stated BA...and charlie, whatcha doin in dry dock anyway...just home for the holidays??
2006/11/25, 12:20 AM
I always get irritated when people try to put a label on every fkn thing. You are a bodybuilder. You are a powerlifter. etc etc. You are an athlete. Are you a wrestler? boxer?

No. Why is it so hard to believe that some people lift weights for the sheer enjoyment? I lift for personal gratification of getting bigger, stronger, more athletic, less stressed out,happier, with less body fat.

Why would anyone not want to get stronger when lifting lifts? Is it not absurd to lift the same weights for year, two, 20, 30? I have seen people like this. Made my eyes bleed and my head hurt. I had to run for the near exit then duck and cover.
2006/11/25, 11:28 AM
Right you are Fly. I was home for TG and to build some storage benches for the aft deck. I'm outta here in about an hour. Me and my old '79 pickup are Charleston bound.

--------------

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/25, 12:40 PM
Lets be honest....90% of people who lift do so for vanity. :)

Interesting conversation with a girl in the gym the other day. She was asking me questions, I was helping her, and we started talking about why she lifts.

First began with the standard health issue, then feel better, but in the end she admitted...vanity is no. 1.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/25, 01:06 PM
You are right of course and that was what FOTW implied.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/25, 01:44 PM
Exactly what's happened with me, I had no intention on lifting when I joined the gym, it was the pool I wanted and cardio.

Although I'm still in a strength challenge as injury is getting better and since health is real good now and I do want to maintain that forever I some how down the line got caught up in the low fat% thing but have settled down and admittedly have to say it's you that set me straight on that issues.

I have a more muscular look at around 15% BF and dropping but really damn slowly LOL, I now understand a 6 pack is out of reach for me because I will not live to maintain that and I like stuff like Teriyaki on my chicken lol.

With health goals reached and confidence in being able to get up and run my ass off if needed being there it's all about getting stronger and LOOKING BETTER for me but since the top 2 are there the rest can come as it does in time and it is coming.

The stronger I get the more muscle I'll have to burn off more fat faster and with that the BF will drop to just above 10%, I'm to scared to go lower after your research you shown!

Hey if I didn't have vanity I would still be in a bad place in health because sometimes it's vanity that sparks the fire in ones ass LOL.

But uneducated vanity is not good, I could have been the next white J.J. Evans (Good Times) on the Chase of the six pack!

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Lets be honest....90% of people who lift do so for vanity. :)

Interesting conversation with a girl in the gym the other day. She was asking me questions, I was helping her, and we started talking about why she lifts.

First began with the standard health issue, then feel better, but in the end she admitted...vanity is no. 1.

=============
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/11/25, 06:42 PM
*raises hand* im lifting for vanity! woot!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2006/11/25, 09:34 PM
that would be such a funny bumper sticker..lmao

*I lift for vanity*
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/26, 10:09 AM
I think we all lift for the right reasons. I lift for health, vanity, strength, stress relief and besides, if I didn't lift I wouldn't have this great community to mingle with:)
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/11/27, 04:35 PM
I lift to get healthy! I have been a little intimidated by all the "bodybuilders" so havent wanted to go to a gym. I just started however a few weeks ago at my local gym and gave up the garage gig. I appreciated Mutt's post to be not afraid to try something more. It seemed a big step for me then turned out to be not such a big deal. The rewards are worth the effort and looking good Naked aint a bad byproduct lol !

--------------
Your body will react to what your mind sees. Make sure your mind focuses on the target you want to reach.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/27, 04:51 PM
raiderfan - You might be surprised that a majority of people that are seriously working out don't have any idea who else is in the gym unless it's one of those gals in tights.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/27, 05:05 PM
Mike...I thought you were my southern gentlemen...are you an ogler????I would have to imagine you are at least subtle though...:)
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/11/27, 05:45 PM
I guess that perhaps because I am new to working out in a gym I tend to look around once in a while to see what people are doing. One thing I must say is that a lot of people lift incorrectly according to what I have learned here. I am not sure what the reason is behind that unless it is vanity by lifting heavyer. If I am going to invest time five days a week to lifting I want the most out of it. Why cheat myself? After all I am the only person I am working out for.
2006/11/27, 07:20 PM
What do you mean? Rocking while doing 10 sets of curls is not correct form?

--------------
Beyond Training, Beyond Experience, Nutrition Wins
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/27, 07:35 PM
KC - of course I was referring to all the other guys, not me. :)
2006/11/27, 10:03 PM
Just make sure to scream at the top of your voice while doing sitting EZbar curls with 10s and your workout parner 'spots' you the whole way.....you'll fit right in at most gyms...(jk)...

but seriously... dont pay any attention to what others are doing....they got their own goals...you got your own...many/most people at the gym waste their time while there by either doing garbage routines or chatting...so why waste time observing them....you're there on a mission....
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/27, 11:13 PM
I see people on the same machine or body part as they were when I walk into the gym as I do after a shower and out the door.

I even get people talking shit about me because I'm in and out with 30 to 45 minutes tops on the weights but never less then 30 and then off to abs, core and or cardio, they talk even bigger shit as I use a stopwatch in between sets so that I get no more then 1 minute between sets unless I really need a tad more.

Now I don't mind the big boys thats been there 15 to 20 years pounding away looking or saying stuff because I learn off them and most say, We're just feeling you out, testing you out, f@#$ing with and etc. But the dumb asses are the ones that do the stupid talk and guess what, NO WEIGHT CHANGE OR BODY CHANGE OF SHAPE since I started 15 months ago!

============
Quoting from menace3000:

Just make sure to scream at the top of your voice while doing sitting EZbar curls with 10s and your workout parner 'spots' you the whole way.....you'll fit right in at most gyms...(jk)...

but seriously... dont pay any attention to what others are doing....they got their own goals...you got your own...many/most people at the gym waste their time while there by either doing garbage routines or chatting...so why waste time observing them....you're there on a mission....
=============