Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Difficulty eating healthy

Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/02, 10:47 AM
I am really trying to eat healthy but I get these cravings for "junk" any kind of junk. Then I get upset with myself for giving in. Any tricks to get out of the craving rut? Would eating more fruit help for those "sweets" cravings? Is too much fruit bad? HELP!!

----------------------------
Gramma
jhadams
jhadams
United States
2003/04/02, 10:54 AM
Hey Deby a couple tips that helped me. 1. Dont buy the junk, keep it out of the house and it makes it easier to avoid. 2. Drink alot of water. It tends to fill you up and for me eases the "sweets" cravings. 3. I dont know what others feel about jello, but it was a great ZERO (0) carb snack that I could eat while doing a low carb diet. (Make sure its fat free)

Hope these help.
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/02, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info! I do drink a lot of water, about 1 gal or more each day, that does help. I really don't have junk in the house but my husband buys it and brings it in, he is in the military and does not live "at home" so when he is here he likes junk and I have not gained the willpower yet to not give in. When I am by myself I do "ok" but sometimes I just "mechanically" go buy things and eat them. I need to just go hop on my treadmill when those urges hit, but . . . The jello idea is great, I have lots of that at home, I will got home tonight and make some!

--------------
Gramma
robct1978
robct1978
United States
2003/04/02, 11:05 AM
JH--Jello rocks!!! also its even better sugar free!! Sweets are bad, after what ive learned on here about sugar and how it contributes to obesity--forget it Maybe if its soo bad treat yourself 1 time a week but i find the more you eat healthy and stay away from bad foods, you grow accustomed to eating healthier and don't miss the junk.. Try to be good for a week or 2 and see what happens.
jhadams
jhadams
United States
2003/04/02, 11:22 AM
Also from my stint on Atkins, I learned to eat cheese. Cheese is great for making you not want to eat anything else ever again! *grins* My wife does most of the shopping, and we have a good supply of *kids snacks*, she just puts them in a cupboard I never look in. It gets easier with time so stick with it!
peopleschamp
peopleschamp
United States
2003/04/02, 11:46 AM
you can try to keep a cheat day like robct1978 said. so if you have a craving just remind yourself when your cheat day is. on your cheat day don't over do it, but still enjoy yourself. read atkins there is a great point about knowing your satiety level. drinking two glasses of water before a meal will make you feel fuller faster. also don't gulp down food. chew at a somewhat slower pace. by just "swallowing" food you end up overeating. if you chew it slower then it can get to your stomach and the satiety response will come up quicker (this is all info from my college nutrition class, it works for me). caffiene can cause sweet cravings according to atkins so maybe drinking decaffienated soda's or coffee may make some of those cravings go away.
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/04/02, 11:58 AM
What about sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding? I have huge cravings for junk as well. I don't really crave sweets so much as just junk. My biggie is cheese burgers and fries. Every once in a while I will get a craving for chocolate. I don't do caffiene. With the exception of one or two diet soda's on the weekend, the ONLY thing I drink is water. I also don't have any junk in the house. When I started the diet on March 10, I threw out everything that was junk...even pastas and the loaf of bread.

I do ok with no giving in to the cravings as long as I'm alone. If I'm craving and someone offers me something...that is when it is hard. Husband got tickled at me over the weekend. I mentioned I was craving chocolate. He said he would get some when he went to town. I told him I wasn't putting that crap in my temple of a body. teehee! It was silly, but it worked!!

--------------
~Jennifer

http://www.gwindalyn.com
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/02, 12:19 PM
I guess that is part of my problem, gwindalyn, I haven't gotten to the "temple" stage yet. When my husband buys junk, I eat it! I have a problem with burger and fries too. I can eat the burger without bread and, I have been known to pass up the fries. I just have to "remember" that I am doing this for me and I am definitely not getting any younger.

--------------
Gramma
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/04/02, 01:56 PM
I'm not at the temple stage yet either. Which is why it was so hilarious when I said it. We both laughed when it came out of my mouth. I figure if I keep saying stuff like that out loud then sooner or later then rest of my body will believe my mouth.:p

--------------
~Jennifer

http://www.gwindalyn.com
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/02, 01:58 PM
That sounds like that might work! I think I can, I think I can . . .

--------------
Gramma
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/02, 03:31 PM
My daughter just sent me a good quote: Success is hanging on when you want to let go!

--------------
Gramma
tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/04/02, 11:35 PM
buy fat free vanilla yogurt and add some nutmeg...VERY good, also makes a great dip for apples.
nicolefit
nicolefit
United States
2003/04/03, 02:19 PM
I think cook and serve fat free sugar free pudding is the best ever - with a tbsp. of peanut butter
AWESOME!

You should only eat it twice a week it's like 120 cals. for a cup

I also read if you want desert (craving) cut some cals. out of dinner so you can enjoy
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/03, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all of the GREAT tips. I will be using them.

--------------
Gramma
fsimmons
fsimmons
United States
2003/04/04, 04:01 PM
my husband’s a perpetual snacker so i can identify with you. i always try to keep some healthy alternative snack with me. so whenever he pulls out a snack, i can pull out an alternative. it's definitely not the same but it helps to at least be able to chew on something while he's doing the same.
also when times get really hard and your healthy alternative looks like crap, let him know that he's not helping you reach your goals and if he could either put it away or snack on the same snack you’re having it would be helpful. Hey who knows, maybe he’ll decide to get on the health kick too.
When I go grocery shopping I try to avoid browsing in the sweet and snack aisle. But if I must get something, I eat what I want once and then the next day I take whatever’s left in to work. I then share the calories and fat with my coworker (aren’t I nice?) usually if it’s something I wasn’t supposed to have in my diet, it doesn’t make it back home.
Snack ideas:
you can cut up, season, and bake pita bread like corn chips.
Fruit comes in perfect packages
Fat free pretzels
Low fat yogurt
Pretzel sticks and low fat yogurt as a dip
Baby carrots
Cucumbers
Also grapefruits are a great fruit to keep around. They burn more calories to digest than they have in them. And they help cut your sweet cravings down (even if you eat the pink ones) b/c they make sweets taste too sweet to bear. If you eat sweets right after a grapefruit it tastes bad (like OJ after bushing your teeth)
Hope this helps
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/04/04, 04:24 PM
Try putting all the junk food (sweets, empty calories) into one cabinet and condition yourself to hate that cabinet. It's easier to stay away when you don't open the cabinet to look for tuna and instead find those blasted Mini-Eggs. Don't get down on yourself for the occaisional cheeseburger - at least there's some quality calories in there from the protein. Try Luna bars. They are great tasting bars with no high fructose corn syrup (HARD to find) and oat based. They come in several different flavors and I think they're made by Clif.

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/07, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone!! There are several of these tips and I am incorporating but I wanted to ask MACKFACTOR, do you know if I can get the Luna bars at Walmart. I have tried so many different "protein" bars and they all taste terrible.

--------------
Gramma
sassysr03
sassysr03
United States
2003/04/07, 05:12 PM
one way to cut the snack\junk food habits is to look at yourself now and imagine getting bigger if you eat that oreo or whatever. then imagine if you ate some fruit or jello and see yourself lookin and feeling great. i had to go on a strict no carbs or sugars diet last week so i could weigh in for the air force. the hotel we stayed at had a buffet of my favorite foods..and then there was a salad bar. needless to say, i was at the salad bar that night. my roomate had snacks galore and offered me but i refused because i wanted the results so bad. if you want something bad enough you will make sacrifices until those wants are met. i dont know how easy it will be for you but i have a strong will and it wasnt too difficult for me. best of luck :)

--------------
Integrity first, service before self and excellence in all we do....USAF. Cross into the blue. ~Sarah~
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/07, 05:23 PM
My trainer is supposed to give my new "diet" plan tonight. We talked about it yesterday and he is supposed to set me up with 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat, I think. I know I was 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fat and he wants to change that. I hope that helps some for the cravings.

--------------
Gramma
yoyo67
yoyo67
Belgium
2003/04/07, 07:31 PM
You mentioned that all protein bars taste "terrible". Evidently, you haven't tried Zone Perfect bars. They sell them at Wal-Mart, and they come in some good chocolatey flavors. They are 210cals., 7 fat gms.(a little high), 16-20carbs, and 15 gms protein. I have one pretty much every day. It satisfies my chocolate tooth.
yoyo67
yoyo67
Belgium
2003/04/07, 07:32 PM
You mentioned that all protein bars taste "terrible". Evidently, you haven't tried Zone Perfect bars. They sell them at Wal-Mart, and they come in some good chocolatey flavors. They are 210cals., 7 fat gms.(a little high), 16-20carbs, and 15 gms protein. I have one pretty much every day. It satisfies my chocolate tooth.
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/08, 03:41 PM
No I have not tried the Zone Perfect bars but I bought some of the Luna bars last night at Walmart. They are 180 cals, 4g fat, 26 carbs (high) and 10 g protein. They were $1.17 per bar. I only bought 4, so I will go this weekend and get some of the Zone Perfect ones. I got a bar last night call Delight, that has 3 "usable" grams of Carbs, it was really good and creamy. It was $.96 at Walmart.

--------------
Gramma
rooti
rooti
Afghanistan
2003/04/15, 07:38 PM
some good snack suggestions to feel like your getting over are the jello everyone is talking about. A great idea!! And also...I like to mix yogurt (nonfat,sugarfree) with a cut up banana..you can add cut up oranges and apples for fruit salad...yum!!! Also.... crunchy things sometimes help those munchies!!! Have you tried baked lays??? or baked dorito's???? no,,these are not the best nutitional food..but they beat regular chips by a landslide..they are very low in fat and the doritos are especially yummy!! just count the chips.... 15 doritos are 120 calories... and they help satisfy the junkfood cravings.. Also..take diannes white corn tortillas and spray with non-fat cooking spray...sprinkle with salt/pepper...garlic salt... bake in oven until crisp or toast well in toaster oven...these are great high fiber crunchy treats... I bet you could even coat them with sugar substitute and cinnimon for a sweet treat!! they are only 60 calories per tortilla.
gbaser
gbaser
Antigua And Barbuda
2003/04/16, 01:14 AM
I eat dried nuts and fruits for snack. however, don't get the ones in walmart. most of those are fried fruit... read the back if it says, for example: dried cranberries (sunflower oil, cranberry) don't buy that. it takes much more time to dry fruit, so some companies opt for the cheaper version, frying it.
hazelnuts are very healthy, walnuts... dried plums, raisins, apricots, cranberries... you can also add these in your cereal. very nutritional and stops sweet cravings.
don't overdo it, but you can eat a cup or 2 every day.
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/16, 09:57 AM
Wow, all of these WONDERFUL suggestions. I have been using the jello and also found a dessert made with ricotta cheese and "flavorings" it is really pretty good! I like nuts and raisins. The tortilla's sound good too! I am going to print this out and try most of them. Thanks again to all.

--------------
Gramma
Misty02
Misty02
United States
2003/04/24, 02:02 AM
I'm a sweet eater too. What I do is buy stuff like fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, applesauce, fat free pudding and stuff like that. I still use it as a treat but it's better to splurge on stuff like that when it's low fat and low calorie and in some cases sugar free, than if I went and bought a candy bar.
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/24, 09:23 AM
I got some of those fruit snacks and they are wonderful. I just need to check the sugar count in them, but one bag is plenty for the sweet thing.

--------------
Gramma
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/04/24, 12:12 PM
I keep a tupperware full of cut up veggies and a bottle of low fat dip in my fridge all the time. I read somewhere that you often crave a texture (crunchy, creamy, ect...) more than a particular food. I sit down with a plate of veggies whenever I crave junk. It takes a while to eat through the raw veggies, and the cravings are gone by the time I'm done. I also feel better about myself because I didn't have junk. If they're already cut up, you've got no excuses. Good luck and congratulations.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/04/24, 12:14 PM
This has got to be the greatest website! Everyone is so helpful and have the best ideas!!

--------------
Gramma
KageanRage
KageanRage
Australia
2003/04/26, 01:14 PM
funny how working out makes you even less inclined to eat junk because if you do something u wanna do it properly

so then this just further widens the gap between the healthy and the unhealthy.

just a thought
bakerrhonda
bakerrhonda
United States
2005/09/12, 11:38 PM
Well I am just getting started and I don't know what to do and how to do it. I am alone at home. My husband works out of state and I find that eating helps with the depression and the loneliness. I just want to know what I need to start out doing and what exercises to do. I want to know what I should eat and what I shouldn't....:surprised:
sizzelenhot
sizzelenhot
United States
2008/05/28, 10:51 PM
heelo deby, I'm am 14 and I feel the same way that you do all that myu parents ever do is but junk and I try to tell then not to but she buy's it for my step dad for his lunches and Then i just have to have it after that just looking at it makes me want it so bad!!!!!!!!!!! Now how am I suppost to stop these habbets at school also because they barrley ever serve good food and at the house all there is si junk!!!!!!!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/05/29, 01:07 AM

============
Quoting from sizzelenhot:

heelo deby, I'm am 14 and I feel the same way that you do all that myu parents ever do is but junk and I try to tell then not to but she buy's it for my step dad for his lunches and Then i just have to have it after that just looking at it makes me want it so bad!!!!!!!!!!! Now how am I suppost to stop these habbets at school also because they barrley ever serve good food and at the house all there is si junk!!!!!!!
=============
Even at 14 you have to be bright enough to know Deby posted this 5 years ago!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Brittbyrd
Brittbyrd
United States
2009/03/12, 12:44 AM
Ok, so i'm going to cheat here a little bit. I really want to read this information but unfortunately I do not have time at the moment. But I need help asap!! I am 5'4" 135 lbs. I have gained 10 lbs since December. I have a boyfriend who can eat ANYTHING and stay skinny (even has good cholesterol, blood pressure, and etc.) I do the cooking as often as possible but he mostly eats out and on the weekends we eat out for about 4 meals. I have gotten to the point where I cannot fit in my jeans and I have become VERY self conscious! I feel like the big woman next to the skinny guy! I REALLY need advice about 1) cooking meals to help me lose weight, but are also something he will eat 2) what is healthy food? Just lean meats, veggies, yogurt, fruit, and...?? 3) I need to know some snacks that I can take. I'm a student and drive 2 hrs to school everyday and back home so I need on the go tips 4) exercises for flattening the tummy, preventing cellulite, and toning (I already know about cardio). There are weight issues in my family concerning anorexia. and so trying to be preventative because I have been known to skip meals. My main thing is feeling good in my own skin. If I lose 10 lbs and got back to where I was, I would be extatic. But I need help on a plan for exercising and eating. PLEASE HELP!