Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

YOGA?

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/11/23, 04:00 PM
Okay, between some of the snickers, or the poo-pooers, I wanted to say that I used to be one of you...I thought Yoga was a long-lived generational fad for people that needed to "shedule" time for peace in there day and then run back into the rat race of life...but the past couple months have shown me that I need to try something before I buy into the judgements without knowledge first. The flexibility I have gained, something I NEED as I took on a 46th year, and the additional strength due to the use of poses I never thought I could do, and the ability of Yoga to reduce the stress nothing seemed to combat in the same way, has been of benefit to me next to my weights. Weights will always come first, but the addition of Yoga has really helped me focus on my body even more. Just thought I would share that with those of you that have thought about trying it, but were either freaked out by the freaky positions or thought it was for freaky people, it can honestly help some of you if you let it! I start out my day with it and often end with it as a release of all the yuck I have accumulated throughout the day. I am off to a workout now (though I only do them in my house right now, not brave enough to stick my rear in the air in front of people yet!), as I am plum up to my hair folicles in stress right now and need to stretch out all this bottled up mess in my muscles right now! :)

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
buttons1985
buttons1985
United States
2007/12/28, 08:06 PM
I love YOGA! I had to take a PE course in college about 3 yrs ago and felt that at my age (and size) it would be an "easy" class for me to take. Boy was I wrong. I worked up a sweat, stretched my muscles and realized that Yoga was the best for me. My body made a lot of changes during that time. I am looking forward to getting back into the habit!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/12/30, 02:25 PM
I too am a total Yoga addict, and honestly don't even think of it as a physical exercise although I realize that it is. I meditate regularly, and find that I seem to meditate deeper during Yoga, so hey, kill two birds with one stone, right? Now how new agey and "freaky" do I sound! ha ha.
I also really enjoy the Namaste Yoga routines on FitTv. They don't hold the poses very long, and the graceful movements going from one pose to another truly helps me feel more feminine and confident every day.
Cardio, diet and weights are my primary tool for weight loss and a strong healthy body. But, I do yoga almost every day (sometimes twice or three times!) for my healthy mind.