Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

working hard but not losing much weight?

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/11, 08:52 AM
Hi goalmama,

7 pounds in 8 weeks isn't terrible - it is a good start. a pound a week is actually a good rate to lose. People who lose weight gradually tend to keep it off longer.

That said...I disagree with the points system because you can spend your points on less food/more junk and not be getting in enough quality calories. I disagree with weight watchers because i think usually they don't advise enough protein...

Here is my advice to you - stoke your metabolism by eating 5-6 small meals a day. NEVER skip breakfast - this can reduce your metabolism by 15%! here is what a typical 'diey'day looks like for me or one of my clients...:

Breakfast -
1/2c oatmeal (plain) cooks up to one cup, cinnamon, splenda and maybe alittle smart balance light
(I alternate oatmeal one day, kellogg's lowfat multigrain waffles and sugarfree syrup the next)

1 egg, 2-4 egg whites, scrambled and topped with salsa (sometimes I just have a protein shake when pressed for time)

2 1/2 - 3 hours later
a zone bar OR
an apple and 1 servings string cheese and a small handful almonds

2/12 - 3 hours later:

a medium baked potato or sweet potato
a chicken breast
green salad (lots of veggies)with drizzle of real dressing (olive oil vinagrette)

OR
3-4 oz turkey breast (or lean roast beef) on 2 slices whole grain bread
smear mayo, mustard
cucumber slices, sprouts, pepper slices, lettuce, onion

2 1/2 - 3 hours later

1/4c hummus
sliced veggies to dip in hummus

2 1/2 - 3 hours later

chicken or fish
large green salad (lots of veggies), olive oil vinagrette

1/2c rice or pasta or a small baked potato(if you want to speed weight loss, leave this out of your plan every 3rd day)

2 1/2 hours later
1/2c cottage cheese, small handful walnuts

so - you can see that dieting doesn't mean being hungry. you need to give your body enough fuel to function and perform for your workouts.

Do some reading in the other forums about metabolism, healthy food choices, etc. and ask specific questions, I think you will see good changes in your physique :)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

goalmama
goalmama
United States
2008/03/10, 10:49 PM
Hi...I have been working out religiously for 8 weeks now and counting points (weight watchers). I am riding my elliptical 5 times a week for 50 minutes each time and taking hour ong body pump class 3 times a week. I have only lost 7 pounds and am getting very discouraged...what am I doing wrong? At this rate my body wioll give ut from over exercise before I reach my 30 lb goal! Any ideas?

--------------
Determined!
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/10, 11:08 PM
not enough calories, or you're over exercising. thats what i was told.
vinny186
vinny186
United States
2008/04/17, 05:52 PM
How's your diet? eating frequently? protein w/each meal?