Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

What is everyone's pre-hab

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/09, 03:17 PM
I ask this question here because it seems that the majority, not all, of the regulars on this site seem to hang out in this forum so don't bash the forum choice.

Besides the big lifts, and accessory/isolation lifts everyone does in the gym what do you do to continue being able to do the complex lifts? What sort of pre-hab do you do for knees, back, ankles, wrists, etc?

I'm specifically interested in knees and back since those tend to take the largest beating for me. What can I do to prevent injuries? I'm sure that there are many more muscles in the back than I tend to exercise is why I ask.

For instance, for back other than rows, pull-ups, chins, deads and their variations, hypers, and trap work what am I missing?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/09, 04:16 PM
Light GPP days or cross fit type stuff.

Active recovery

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/09, 04:16 PM
rest

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/09, 09:20 PM
Good question. It should depend on the individual though. I believe in highly personal pre-hab based on postural and musculoskeletal analysis. Of course, I am biased because movement impairment disorders are a large part of my studies.

Broad spectrum:
On upper body days:
rotator cuff exercises
scapular movement and activation (scapular pull ups and pull downs)
wall slides
shoulder dislocations
wrist extensor work

Lower body:
mobility drills (specifically adductors, hip flexors)
static hip flexor stretching
glute activation
Abdominal planks
psoas work (depending on if it's a problem)

These are just sweeping generalizations, and I don't necessarily even practice what I am preaching. Outside of this, it depends on the person.

I might include this as part of the warm up, or on a day off.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/09, 09:34 PM
I knew Steve would jump on this one. He's actually been helpin me out.

My advice, if it helps, would be to make sure you have no huge imbalances in movement-strength ratios. I have found out much about my body over the last while, and I would highly recommend that you start hittin the books, articles, etc.

In my own opinion, your nutrition is HYYUUUGGEE in how you feel and perform, and this largely applies to this subject, also. Fish oil (EPA/DHA) has been shown to be anti-inflammatory and it's just common sense that proper nutrition could probably- definitely- aid in injury pre-hab.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/15, 08:30 PM
Aaron gives sound advice.

One thing that I should point out about what he said, is that movement impairments are NOT caused by weak, long, or short muscles, but rather muscles that are weak, long, short, etc RELATIVE to your other muscles. As such, finding basic strength ratios will go a huge way in preventing injury. Making sure you are pushing what you are pulling, etc. is a great start.
After that, I'd recommend a seeing a PT before there is a problem.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/16, 09:00 AM
The reason I ask is because for the past 6 months I have been working to really bring my back up to par. I have always been able to DL a lot more than squat, but my upper lats have been lagging.

Since I have been doing this it seems that I have slight tweaks in my back every now and again. They're not serious, but I dont' want to get to a point where it is serious.

As far as strength ratios, I BB Row approximately 80% of what I can press and DL about 130% of what I can squat. Can you elaborate a little further on the ratios your talking about?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/16, 10:53 AM
You will (or should) always be able to DL more than squat. What have you been doing for your upper back?

Ratios such as your pulls compared to your presses, internal vs. external rotation- pretty much every opposing muscle group in your body can cause you pain if there's too much of an imbalance. There are recommendations/guidelines for pretty much all of them. I am not an expert on this stuff yet (gimme another 6 years, when I'm a Dr. in PT lol), so bear with me.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/16, 12:49 PM
I generally do some type of pull-up variation (4 sets), and either one or two row variations (4-6 total sets) for upper back.

I believe that my grip is a huge factor in this. I lose the ability to hold the bar or pull-up bar too quickly. I just bought a new pair of straps (my old ones were crap), and I'm looking for some chalk. For some reason though none of the sporting goods stores around me carry lifting chalk.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/07/18, 10:17 PM
Try doing your pulling exercises with a towel to help your grip strength up to par.

Another thing you could do is timed hangs from the bar. Utilize the towel, and maybe even add weight.

You could also find treasures for grip training in the Fitbuddy search.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi