Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

What do you think about my plan?Please!

curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/06/24, 06:35 PM
Right ok, So heres me...

Im 153.4cms (precise, eh?!) about 47kgs. Im 19 and Im female.

Im wanting to change my shape, work in a long term healthy diet&exercise life style.

At the moment im doing:

A zig-zag of 1200,1350 cals, trying to spaced out, my biggest trouble is being able to stop for brekkie.

I try to make sure I eat every 3 hours at the most after that, even if its just a piece of fruit.

Im definatly definatly not overestimating cals, and am worried im eating too little to build on muscle mass/change shape/just generally function!

I dont want to starve! So to double the question ive posted in the nutrition bit, should I up?

Then my exercise is as follows:

Monday- Body Balance Class, Weight Routine
Tuesday- Spinning Class, Body Pump Class
Wednesday- Cardio, Weight Routine
Thursday- Cardio, Weight Routine
Friday- Cardio, Weight Routine
Saturday- Rest Day
Sunday- Spinning Class, Weight Routine

Im considering doing another body pump class in there somewhere too.

My cardio Routine is- 15 minutes, level 6, aerobic mode on the cross trainer/epiliptical

My Weight Rountine is-
2 sets 15 reps - 3kg dumbbells bicep curls
Chest Press on 2
Shoulder Press on 1
Rigid Arm Lat Pulldown on 4
Leg Press on 4
Back Extensions on gym ball
Situps (I normally do more sets though)

Just for some misc info, I make sure im hydrated, 2 litres a day at least&I take a multivit
So what do you think? Expert Opinions would be esp appreciated, but everyones input would be wonderful :)

Am I eating enough/exericising too much/not enough/not in the right way?

Any advice?

Thankyou for reading and thankyou in advance for replying if you do!

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/25, 06:08 PM
I think you are undereating and overexercising - you will not add muscle or lose fat that way - you will burn off your existing muscle and wear yourself out.

You don't need to do your weight routine every day - every other is a good start - and body pump sort of counts as a weight routine, even though you are working in a high rep endurance range. Your muscles need a day or two off between lifting. if you want to lift more often, split your body parts out to different days - there is a great program generator here - at the top of the screen go to 'exercise program' and follow the link, anser the questions and it will generate a great plan for you.

As far as diet - you can up your calories, eat similar to the plan in the thread WSSC Food Plan (in the general forum, I think), tweak it to your preferences. but that plan will support your goals with plenty of protein and a decent amount of good carbs (unlimited veggies). Just don't cheat yourself by not eating enough carbs like oatmeal, brown rice and potatoes/sweet potatoes. They are good sources of energy and potassium and other nutrients your body needs.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/06/25, 07:09 PM
Hiya! Thankyou so much for replying, I really do appreciate people sharing their knowledge with me :)

Right ok, so in that case Im going to up my calories&do less weight training?

I guess I just figured that 6 days a week would yield better results? I guess I thought wrong, eh?!

A few questions, on the plan (I did go and find it!) it says 10-15 calories for every lb of body weight, thats 1012-1518 for my weight, isnt this too low by the logic that im doing too low at the moment?

Then, how should I up my cals? Gradually? Is this one of these things where ill have an initial gain?

Then, hows my cardio in your opinion?

Sorry for all the questions, your input goes much appreciated!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/26, 09:45 AM
I think you could gradually increase your calroies and still use a zigzag approach if you like that -it is a good way to keep your metabolism up - maybe zigzag with 1300 and 1500 and see how you feel - it should increase your energy and give you good lifts.

I think you could drop the cardio on Wednesday and Friday and pick either body pump or spinning on Tuesday.

the other days be sure to either do your cardio after lifting or seperated by 6 hours or so - this will cut down on your burning muscle off. I get up and do cardio early and lift late afternoon or lift mid morning and do cardio in the evening. When I do have to do them together I do my weight lifting and them maybe 20 minutes HIIT after.

Good luck!:)

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/06/28, 01:17 PM
Hey!
Thankyou so much for your advice.
Ive upped my calories a bit and ended up losing more weight than I have in a while! So there we are :)

I didnt drop one of the classes because I hadnt read this post then! But its something I really enjoy, I will drop it if its effects will be negative though.

Im taking more rest days from my weight routine too.

Its tricky for me to get to the gym twice a day, is there anyway I can do cardio&weights in the same session without losing too much muscle?

Also, how long in your opinion before I start to see significant results if I remain dedicated?

I will take down my cardio in the name of progression also! My problem is though, I really enjoy exercising! The gyms my favourite place to me. In fact, I aspire to be a personal trainer and am looking into colleges and courses at the moment.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/28, 02:34 PM
You should see results in 5-6 weeks, if not sooner, since you said your weight dropped already.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

the other days be sure to either do your cardio after lifting ...... When I do have to do them together I do my weight lifting and then maybe 20 minutes HIIT after.

Good luck!:)

=============

--------------

- Ben Franklin
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/07/04, 01:35 PM
Hey again! Thanks for the advice.

Im still going, the next aim is to cut my cardio and try and work out a hiit routine for it instead.

Im confused about body fat percentage now! But im gonna start a new post for that one!