Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Weights won't make me bulky?

brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/07, 10:28 PM
I just read the post, weights won't make women bulky. What if a woman naturally has more testosterone in her body than most women do? Should I do as you advised and lift more weight/less reps? Should I focus more on cardio that training? I have biceps that rival some mens, and after training with this site for only 2 weeks, they have gotten noticeably? bigger. More defined, definetly, but also bigger. I've included more protein and less carbs and fat than ever before. Could my diet also be contributing the the mass gain (protein)? I like being defined, but having men make rude comments because they're jealous of the size of your arms is not my cup of tea. More than anything the look of it bothers me. No offense to any women out there with large upper arms.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/08, 07:09 AM
Brandywine, what do your biceps measure and wwhat is your bodyfatpercetage? You could be ffeling bulky if the dietary changes haven't kicked in yet and you aren't losing fat yet...

on the other hand,if your doctor has confirmed that you have unnnaturally high levels of testosterone..you may want to switch to lighter weight, more reps so that you aren't stimulating muscle growth, though this will slow down your progress if you are trying to lean out or change your physique, IMO. Also, do more cardio.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/08, 01:13 PM
First of all I want to say thank you so much for answering my post. I was trying to send you a private message last night, but the site wouldn't let me for some reason.
OK, so I measured my biceps, and found that the right one measured at 12 and a half inches, and the left one at 11 and a half inches, and just for kicks I measured from shoulder bone to shoulder bone and found that measured 16 inches, with body fat coming in at 29.5 percent. The size I am now is due to everyday lifting involved in taking care of my 7 year old daughter, and 3 year old son. I was also a chef in training for almost a year and gained a little mass there, but not much. I've always had larger than "normal" upper arms. Also I have not been medically diagnosed with higher levels of testosterone, but it runs in the family, and there are signs.

The post I read yesterday from bb1fit said that more reps with less weight damages the muscle, and therefore it gets larger; whereas more weight less reps and more sets only damages the nervous system resulting in stronger but not bigger. Did I misread?, or is this different because of the suspected higer levels of testosterone?
Right now I workout at home. The site suggested I do sets of 15,15,12, and then 10 of every muscle group they listed with the exception of abs where I do 2 or 3 sets of 15(usually 2 sets of 2 per week and 1 set of 3).
The work outs I am doing are as follows:
I usually start with windsor pilates ab sculpting video.
(20 minute core workout)

Then I move on to my regular fitness plan issued by this site which includes:
push ups-15,15,12,10
side laterals(5 lbs. weights)-15,15,12,10
chin between chairs(back muscles)-15,15,12,10
bicep curls(5 lbs.)-15,15,12,10
triceps-these I do by placing hands on chair in a seated position with arms behing me holding me up and feet straight out in front.-15,15,12,10
squats-15,15,12,10
calf raises-15,15,12,10
And I added one of my own inner thigh with reps and sets the same as before.

Then I do the suggested ab workout wich includes leg raises, crunches, and seated twists. Sets and reps for each I mentioned above.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/08, 03:59 PM
I don't think your arms are big...and i think your bodyfat is high, which is making you feel bulky. My arms measure 15.5 inches and are fairly lean and really don't look bulky unless i am flexing.

the workouts from this site have worked for many people.

get your diet inline with your training and you should get leaner and feel less bulky.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/08, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the advice, I guess I just need to be more patient. By the way seeing your profile has really mad me feel like it's possible for me to be tight and trim again after having two children. At a time when I was feeling low, you have inspired me, and reinstilled belief in myself.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/09, 07:10 AM
Check out the posts about the WSSC challenge - the food plan is an excellent one for fat loss and there are full workouts and cardio plans, do a fit buddy search and pull them up. A lot of women, and a few men, did these challenges and lost a lot of inches and pounds.

--------------

Lord Chesterfield
brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/09, 05:13 PM
I checked out the afore mentioned. I just have a couple of questions. I don't have access to a gym, so do you have any suggestions on modifying the lifting portion to work for me at home without spending a ton of money? Also, I have very awkward hours, i.e., not in bed until 3 am, up at 6 am to get daughter to bus, back to sleep until 10 am, up for the rest of the day until 3 am. Sunday through Thusday this is my routine. Due to the fact that my boyfriend works from 4 pm until 1:30-2:00 AM and sleeps from 3 am til 12 pm (sometimes later) it's very hard to see him unless I stay up until early morning. I don't work, but in Oct. I will be starting culinary school which runs from 7am until 1:30 pm. Working out then will be much easier because I will have to go to bed early to perform for school. In the meantime I feel like I have to make a choice between boyfriend or workout. Do you have any suggestions? I read about something posted by bb1fit called ZMA, he mentioned that it made 4 hours of sleep feel like 8. Is there anything herbal that you know of that is similar? I thought maybe b complex with valarian root, but I'm not sure. I know nothing is better than regular 7-9 hrs of sleep, but maybe just something until October. One more question. If I consume 1600 calories in a day using the WSSC food plan, and do HIIT cardio 4 days a week with the 12 week ab program, and the total body program this site recomended for me, will I still create a calorie deficeit?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/10, 10:48 AM
Yes, that routine should create a deficit.

I don't know what to tell you about the sleep - I have used ZMA and like the depth of sleep it helps me achieve, but can't say that it replaced real sleep.

Look at the most recent WSSC workout routines, they should be designed to perform with db's for the most part. Let me know which routine you are looking at and I can give you modifications for db's instead of machines or barbells.

Ummm choice between boyfriend or workout...lol. Are you up waiting for ihm to get home? do it then. or do it right before you get to sleep (though it might amp you up and keep you awake)...only you can figure out how to remove obstacles from your path...that is the hardest part of all of this - figuring out your obsatcles and how to navigate around them.

--------------

Lord Chesterfield
angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/09/10, 12:22 PM
I have been taking a magnesium supplement for some joint and muscle issues every morning. Last night I decided to take it an hour before bed, because it is supposed tohave amazing sleep qualities....it's amazing.

My daughter got up 3 times last night, and ended up sleeping with us until she got up for the day at 5am...my b/f handled it all while I sawed logs - I only heard once and didn't realize that anyone ever came to bed...

So, definately a good deep sleep. I used to be able to hear the babies cry from 2 floors away...
brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/10, 06:54 PM
I looked at the workouts for the WSSC challenge. There were two listed. One posted in 2007, and one posted in 2008. I'm assuming the one for 2008 is the one I should be focusing on.
I looked up proper technique for all lifting exercises on about.com, and only came up with a few questions.
I have no step for the step up. Is there another exercise I can do to work the same muscle groups in the same way?
2nd, I have no swiss ball, I know there not that expensive, but right now I just can't afford anything. Any ways to modify w/out the ball for the lying hamstring/glutes on ball, swiss ball crunches, and jack knife on ball?
3rd, during the dumbell deadlift, do I place dbs on floor just like the barbell and return to start?
And lastly, I looked for information on how to do military presses, but found no info. Do you know of any other sites to find exercise descriptions/instructions, or demonstrations?

Regarding the waiting up until 1:30 am, yes, I'm definitely waiting up for him. The little time we have together is precious to me. And the private time we have together means even more. The children are usually up when we both are, so we have very little private time together. So in desperation to see him I wait until he gets home. On the plus side, between 9pm and 1:30am, I have time to myself to read, and now I workout at least 3 days a week. I'm starting to incorperate cardio at a slow pace(since I'm a smoker), hoping to increase my days per week to 6.

One more question, I plan to scratch my regular fitness workout issued by this site, but is it ok to continue with the 12 week ab program. I can really feel it strengthening my abs, and would hate to have to nix it.

angiem6-thanks for the info. I will have to look into that. Especially since I have some joint issues as well. Just worried that since I'm already a really hard sleeper (sleep through the duel alarm clock nearly everyday), that I might sleep too hard. I'm sure for my boyfriend waking me up at that point might be like trying to raise the dead!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/10, 07:51 PM
My answers are inserted in CAPS

============
Quoting from brandywine13:

I looked at the workouts for the WSSC challenge. There were two listed. One posted in 2007, and one posted in 2008. I'm assuming the one for 2008 is the one I should be focusing on. YES

I looked up proper technique for all lifting exercises on about.com, and only came up with a few questions.

I have no step for the step up. IF YOU HAVE A STURDY CHAIR YOU CAN STEP UP ON THE SEAT, IF NOT, SUBSTITUTE BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUATS OR LUNGES
Is there another exercise I can do to work the same muscle groups in the same way?
2nd, I have no swiss ball, I know there not that expensive, but right now I just can't afford anything. Any ways to modify w/out the ball for the lying hamstring/glutes on ball PUT YOUR HEELS ON THE EDGE OF A CHAIR SEAT AND DO GLUTE RAISES, PRESSING HEELS INTO SEAT (LYING ON YOUR BACK), swiss ball crunches DO CRUNCHES ON THE FLOOR OR JUST CONTINUE THE ABS PLAN YOU HAVE BEEN DOING, and jack knife on ballSAME ANSWER?

3rd, during the dumbell deadlift, do I place dbs on floor just like the barbell and return to start? WHEN I HAVE CLIENTS USE DBS INSTEAD OF BARBELL I PLACE A STEP INFRONT OF THEM THAT IS ABOUT THE HEIGHT THE BARBELL HANDLE WOULD BE, YOU COULD DO IT INFORNT OF STAIRS OR JUST DON'T SET THEM DOWN, GO AS LOW AS YOU CAN AND THEN RETURN TO STANDING YOU WILL STILL WORK THE MUSCLES.
And lastly, I looked for information on how to do military presses, but found no info. LOOK UP OVERHEAD DB PRESSES, OR SHOULDER PRESSES Do you know of any other sites to find exercise descriptions/instructions, or demonstrations?

WWW.PHYSICALFITNET.COM OR DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON EXERCISE DEMONSTARTIONS AND YOU WILL SEE THERE ARE TNS OF SITES WITH VIDS AND ILLUSTRATIONS

Regarding the waiting up until 1:30 am, yes, I'm definitely waiting up for him. The little time we have together is precious to me. And the private time we have together means even more. The children are usually up when we both are, so we have very little private time together. So in desperation to see him I wait until he gets home. On the plus side, between 9pm and 1:30am, I have time to myself to read, and now I workout at least 3 days a week. I'm starting to incorperate cardio at a slow pace(since I'm a smoker), hoping to increase my days per week to 6. GOOD SO YOU HAVE A WORKOUT TIME SLOT. QUIT SMOKING :)

One more question, I plan to scratch my regular fitness workout issued by this site, but is it ok to continue with the 12 week ab program. I can really feel it strengthening my abs, and would hate to have to nix it. YES JUST DROP THE ABS PORTION OF THE WSSC PLAN

=============
GOOD LUCK :)

--------------

Lord Chesterfield
brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/11, 01:29 PM
Thank you for the modifications and advice. I plan to quit smoking on Monday for the final time. I've been telling myself I need to quit for months now, but just haven't had the wil power. After doing cardio this week (jumping rope for the first time in 10 years), and feeling like I was going to die...lol, I've decided that it's literally do or die. Plus I have so much more energy and time when I'm not smoking.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time and your help. It's nice to know that there are still people who care, and who help others without expecting anything in return.
I hope all your good deeds come back to you 3 fold.

Thank you.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/11, 04:53 PM
the idea of paying it forward or all the good coming back 3 fold is one of the reasons I do this:)

Good luck with the quitting smoking - I finally just went cold turkey and didn't look back in 1996...you can do it. you have been through pregnancy and childbirth...you are stronger than you think. Just put them down and focus on cardio instead. I used to do push ups and go for walks whenever i wanted a smoke, lol.

--------------

Lord Chesterfield
brandywine13
brandywine13
United States
2008/09/12, 05:29 PM
Just a couple more questions for you if you don't mind answering. The food plan for WSSC states no carbs for meals 4 and 6. Does that include the free ride carbs, and if so is it alright to have a protein shake instead for meal 6 since my workouts are so late at night?

Also, is the bent dumbell row a good substitute for the seated cable row? I have no band so, I just thought this would be an ok modification.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/12, 05:51 PM
The last two meals fibrous carbs (free ride carbs) are okay. and a shake as your last meal is fine, too.

Bent db row is a fine sub.

--------------

Lord Chesterfield