Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

weight training and blood pressure

atreby
atreby
United States
2006/10/31, 09:15 AM
Whats the relationship with weight training and increasing your blood pressure. I have noticed mine increase as the intensity of my workouts increase
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/10/31, 09:17 AM
Well when you lift it will increase a bit. After all you are putting strain on your system. People with very high Blood Pressure should keep a eye on it, but otherwise there should be no worries.

--------------
When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the little space which I fill and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant and which know me not, I am frightened and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, why now rather than then. Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time been allotted to me? The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.
Blaise Pascal

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/10/31, 11:50 AM
Your blood pressure should return to normal shortly after training. Intense training will increase your BP during the session, but it can ultimately lower your resting BP. Do you usually have high blood pressure, atreby?

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/10/31, 02:08 PM
JBennett hit it right on.
Weight training will definately lower your BP. This is because your arteries and veins increase in the inside diameter size in order to feed more nutrients to the lean tissue.
If you have a history of high BP get clearance from your doctor first. On another note, a reliable trainer will not work with you otherwise.

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
atreby
atreby
United States
2006/10/31, 09:08 PM
I have high blood pressure that has been treated with medication to normal ranges. I do track my BP on a regular basis. I was a marine 20 years ago so Ive been physically fit up till about 10 uears ago when I had a family tradegy. New job...on the road...eating and drinking too much. So i'm back to basics, quit smoking cold turkey 7 weeks ago. Been doing alot of cardio up until last week when I started FT. Boy 10 years of sedentary life has taken its toll. I just plain hurt everywhere. Sticking to it though
atreby
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/10/31, 09:10 PM
atreby - all the good things are ahead. It doesn't take long to lose it but it comes back fairly quick also.
atreby
atreby
United States
2006/10/31, 09:17 PM
thanks mate, I can't wait, I'm fed up with my waist being bigger than my chest
:laugh: