Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Very small/very confused

davisaim855
davisaim855
United States
2009/05/21, 06:59 PM
Okay, here's the problem. I am 32 years old and 4 feet 6 inches tall. I am 108 pounds. Now, according to all the BMI calculators and calorie calculators, I am overweight, I should weight 80-90 pounds and eat 1200 calories a day. Just because I am small doesn't mean I'm not HUNGRY. I'm not a child. I never know what my weight should be, how many calories I should eat, etc. I'm just sort of flying by the seat of my pants. I've been doing FT since December, 5 days a week, advanced and 20 mins of high-resistance elliptical. No skipping or cheating except a week vacation for my anniversary. For a long time, I was actually eating only 1200 calories a day. Never lost a pound. The past month or so, I have started slowly increasing my calories. Haven't lost a pound. Haven't gained any, either. I weigh exactly what I weighed when I started in December, 108 pounds. Granted, my body looks totally different. Almost no more cellulite at all, I've got a little 4-pack going on in my tummy, etc. But, zero weight loss. When I ask doctors about it (which I have), they look at me and look at my weight and never EVER take me seriously. I get a "you are silly for wanting to lose weight anyway" attitude. So, I don't know what to do. I want to lose about 5 pounds, that's it! WHAT'S THE MATTER?? I'm sure it's probably some screwy crap I've done to my metabolism but I have no clue what to do about it. I don't eat junk but I don't eat sprouts and tofu, either. No fast food, VERY little processed food, lots of fruit, meats like tuna and chicken breasts mostly (occasional red meat). Ugh....any guidance would be great.
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2009/07/15, 03:53 PM
Keep in mind that BMI only works well if you have average proportions. Your height is scaled to the average build. No insulted intended, but you don't have average proportions.

Don't worry about the BMI & the calorie counters. Listen to the Dr.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/15, 04:38 PM
Look at your fiber intake, if it is low, you might want to increase as this will help speed up your metabolism. Aslo are you having snacks in between meals. both are factors.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)