Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

UGH, not again... I am SO depressed...

RiverWater
RiverWater
United States
2007/08/17, 01:27 AM
Ok so I've been chubby most of my life. I've also had depression most of my life. Let me give you a quick rundown of my weight history... I'm 5'7 and between 12-19 years old I weighed 148lbs. After high school I lost an additional ten. So I was down to about 135lbs. Stayed there for about 8 months. I then got a job at the local gym and ironically have been having trouble with my weight ever since. I started body building and gained about 20lbs of muscle withing the first year or so. I also gained a bunch of fat. I got up to 180lbs. i got married to a bodybuilder who loved 'bigger' women. I went in the army and came home 6 months later at about 170. We divorced and I started dating my current boyfriend and I stayed around 170-175 for the majority of our relationship. He broke up with me and for 8 months I was single and we would still see each other off and on. I watched what I ate and exercised a lot and it took me about 8 months but I dropped down to 155-158. I was very confident that I had made positive lifestyle changes and would continue to keep it off. HOWEVER. We ended up back together and actually moved in to an apartment together. In the last four months I have since gotten back up to 190lbs. needless to say I am beyond upset. He doesn't eat healthy and can't exercise with me due to sports injuries. I am so upset. I can't fit into any of my clothes. It has been affecting my mood, my sex life, I don't want to go out of the house or down to the pool. I am just at a loss. I am tired of FIGHTING with my weight and my body. I feel like there isn't anything I can do, and I am at the end of my rope...
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/17, 08:27 AM
Wow. Okay. First off, print out this post - you can use it for motivation whenever you don't feel like working out. reread it and it will help you get motivated to get moving so you aren't so unhappy.

If you were bodybuilding but getting fatter, the answer lies with your nutritional plan.

Start by creating a nutritional plan that you can live with - I recommend looking at the post "WSSC food plan" and creating a plan from that thread - it is a fat loss plan and you get plenty of food, so you don't feel deprived.

Next, start by walking every day. Make it non-negotiable at least 4 days of the week - set your clothes and shoes next to the bed and make yourself do it first thing in the morning. Wear a walkman and a big hooded sweatshirt if you don't want to feel like people can see you (I wear big clothes and a hat when I fel like I don't want to leave the house because I don't want people to see me, lol)

Now - either begin some bodyweight reisistance training (there is an at-home, no equipment plan here if you check "exercise program" at the top of the screen), or join a gym and start working out again. If you were bodybuilding before, you should know what to do, if you have doubts as to your ex's knowledge check with a certified trainer to help you set up a reasonable plan. When you are first getting back to training, a total body workout twice a week for a few weeks is a good start - then phase into 3 times a week. Then split that into upper body and lower body days...etc.

Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Also - don't focus so much on scale weight, go by bodyfat percentage, how your clothes fit, how you feel/look. Much more accurate than just plain weight.

And don't let you significant other dictate your health or fitness. Do it for you, for your quality of life and for your sanity.

What are his sports injuries? I find it hard to believe that he can't do ANY exercise, sounds like an excuse. And he can make his opwn unhealthy meals, or he can choose to eat the healthy food you make. Leave it up to him, but don't sacrifice your health because he is too apathetic to take action for himself.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

RiverWater
RiverWater
United States
2007/08/18, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the encouragement... I just need to snap out of the depression and start doing small things again... like you suggested, walking. I know I need to train my body to eat less as I do eat a lot and when I try to cut back I feel like I am hungry all the time unless I am stuffed... Lets see as for his sports injuries he threw his back and neck out on the hack squat when he was 19, and when he was 22 he blew his knees out downhill mountain bike racing...
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/18, 11:40 AM
geez, those are some serious injuries. Did he rehab them? He could probably walk.... I know a guy on another site who is a pro biker and has blown his knees out a few times and has rehabbed them and gone back to lifting/training... if he can get Dr's clearance he can start with some very basic workouts, most likely.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/18, 11:41 AM
Oh - and being hungry all the time means you are not eating enough - look at the food plan I suggested - you get unlimited vegetables, so you really don't go hungry. The key with weight loss is to eat enough to suuport your workouts and to have a slight deficit - creating more of a deficit with activity.

--------------
Thomas Carlyle