Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Treadmill vs. Elliptical

kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2006/01/05, 10:29 PM
Let me start by saying this: I HATE the treadmill. I'd rather go hard for 2 hours on the cross trainer or elliptical then spend 30 minutes on the treadmill... BUT, this past week I have forced myself to use it- I walk one minute, run one minute, walk one, run one, etc. So today I got up to 25 minutes doing it that way, and I was totally exhausted. But my heartrate was noticably slower than when I use the cross trainer. Does this mean I am not getting as good a workout? I feel much more tired after running, but my heart rate never got up there... Is it just that the high impact is just too much on my body? I am large, but I have no joint pains or anything like that... Any ideas?
I've been training with a friend for the past 3 months- we go to the gym no less than 5 times a week. I have lost 17 lbs so far, which sounds great, but for some reason-I am discouraged. I think alot of it has to do with 'The Biggest Loser' where we all see these people loose 17 lbs in one week! I know its not healthy the way they are doing it, but damn.... I'd love to speed this process up!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/06, 07:47 PM
Hey, I don't know much about the difference other than the eliptical always gets my heart going faster right from the start, I always used to have to watch my heartrate it boinged up there so fast, but what I do want to add is:

CONGRATULATIONS!! BIG TIME!! You should not be discouraged, you are losing, that is awesome! Please remember that those people on The Biggest Loser (which I always watch and cry my heart out at the end I am so happy for their successes!) are working with trainers and nutritionist continually, even though they have to make their choices, they still have the benefits you and I don't have or if we did it would cost us a fortune! I don't know if they are necessarily doing it unhealthy, but that being as large as they are, they are burning many more calories working out as long and hard as they do, I mean they must really put the pedal to the metal to get those losses. I am so happy for you, kaiaw, that is fabulous and you should be thrilled, though I know patience is hard when you want to see the end results so bad!!

KEEP IT UP!!

--------------
Veda
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Just live life and enjoy it!